Announcement

Collapse

Upgrade to fix search indexes

We will be upgrading www.trackforum.org at approximately 2019-05-21 14:30:00 Pacific Time. The site will be unavailable during the upgrade and you might experience broken styles, both of which shouldn't last for more than a few minutes. We'll let you know when the upgrade is complete via Facebook and Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/TrackForum/
https://twitter.com/TrackForumLive
See more
See less

2019 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires grid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low double digits showing up for the Freedom 100, though a far cry from the numbers appearing just a few years ago, IS an improvement. I'm not sure we have enough data points yet to find a positive trend but I'm not complaining as it's an improvement from 2018.

Here's hoping for (and cautiously optimistic for) another exceptionally competitive and entertaining race!

Comment

No Falchero on the entry list of Indy road course races. Only 9 cars. Can't recall if #4 was supposed to run full-time or not.
      Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

Wondered what changed where Lights was getting mid 20's car fields in 2008
        "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
          Wondered what changed where Lights was getting mid 20's car fields in 2008
          Cost of the new car and engine lease is a lot more than the old model. Especially the engine lease. And back in 2008, you could get used cars for fairly cheap and start racing on a pretty low budget. I'm not postive of the numbers, but I think a season in Lights with the old car cost a driver around $600K and now it's probably around $1.2 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post

Cost of the new car and engine lease is a lot more than the old model. Especially the engine lease. And back in 2008, you could get used cars for fairly cheap and start racing on a pretty low budget. I'm not positive of the numbers, but I think a season in Lights with the old car cost a driver around $600K and now it's probably around $1.2 million.
            That $600k would have been at the very bottom of teams. I seem to recall hearing Schmidt was getting around 1.0-1.2 a season the last few seasons with the old car.

It is true that you could get the old cars dirt-cheap used about ten years ago. The problem was what it cost to operate them. I recall hearing around that time that Walker was looking to sell his only Lights car for like $30k. Only problem was it needed a corner put on it that was going to cost another $30k-40k to fix.

Comment

The costs are all out of line for a developmental series..
              "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                The costs are all out of line for a developmental series..
                what would be ideal to you?

usf2000: $300k for 15 races/8weekends?
                pro2000: $600k for 16 races/9 weekends?
                indylights: $1.2m for 18 races/9 weekends?

maybe rti could take a regional approach using imsa type championships and have an east/west championship of a mini-series to create afforadability (west = portland, laguna, cota; east = st.p, barber, toronto ; midwest: mid-ohio, road america, indy gp). i know some would say this is an everyone gets a ribbon approach, but it's really a mechanism to create a different way to budget a team having cars on track for the full season.

thoughts?

Comment

while it would reduce the budget, having regional series with only 3 or 4 race weekends isn't nearly enough seat time for a developing young driver, even if they are triple headers.

Comment

Andretti will be #18 for the Freedom.

Looks like 12 cars.

Comment

Working...
                    X