2019 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrankShaft View Post
    If you bill yourself as "the road to Indy", it might behoove them to have more then 2 ovals on the supposed "top step" of the ladder. That's a joke.

Especially when one of those oval races (at Indy) bares NO resemblance to the kind of racing that goes on in the Indy 500.
    I've been part of forum discussions on this topic before, and I simply don't think your position has merit. This year, Indy Lights drivers will do two full oval race weekends (Indy and Gateway) and two full-day in-season official test days. That a ton of oval time. I simply don't believe the drivers need anything more that three race weekends on oval. This is about training. All eight of the currently confirmed Indy Lights drivers have significant oval seat time coming through USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000. IndyCar-caliber drivers have been developing their oval skill set for 2-4 years...so it's not like that have zero clue how to get around an oval. Matheus Leist did ONE season of Indy Lights in 2017 so he had three oval starts before moving to IndyCar. Spencer Pigot ran just one season of Indy Lights, so he had three Indy Lights oval races as well, but another handful on his way through USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 (Pro Mazda).

Having just two oval races for Indy Lights is FAR from ' a joke'. It's situational. And I would expect to see the third oval come back in 2020.
    Respectfully,

Rob Howden
    IndyCar Radio Network
    www.roadtoindyinsider.com
    Road to Indy Presented by Cooper Tires Announcer
    Twitter: @robhowden / @RTI_Insider
    Instagram: @robhowdenracing

Comment

A question! What is happening with IndyLights web streams on YouTube and IndyCar.com this year? You see, I'm not american and NBC with all it's services is not available in my country. Previous years I enjoyed watching RTI races on YouTube, but now it seems that only practices will be streamed.
      Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

Originally posted by nospheratez View Post
        A question! What is happening with IndyLights web streams on YouTube and IndyCar.com this year? You see, I'm not american and NBC with all it's services is not available in my country. Previous years I enjoyed watching RTI races on YouTube, but now it seems that only practices will be streamed.
        I'm told that all of the USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 sessions (practice, qualifying and races) will be streaming live on several platforms, including RoadToIndy.tv and the respective series websites, as well at the Road to Indy app.

The Indy Lights practice and qualifying sessions will also be streamed on RoadToIndy.tv and IndyLights.com, and on the app.

I'm also told that the Indy Lights races will be live on the NBC Gold package. If you do not live in an area that has access to NBC Gold, you will be able to stream the Indy Lights races on the above websites and the app. Obviously, if you have access to NBC Gold in your country or region, this will be your only option.

I'll try to get a full confirmation on this, but it's basically the outline I've been given.
        Respectfully,

Rob Howden
        IndyCar Radio Network

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Howden View Post
          I'm told that all of the USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 sessions (practice, qualifying and races) will be streaming live on several platforms, including RoadToIndy.tv and the respective series websites, as well at the Road to Indy app.

The Indy Lights practice and qualifying sessions will also be streamed on RoadToIndy.tv and IndyLights.com, and on the app.

I'm also told that the Indy Lights races will be live on the NBC Gold package. If you do not live in an area that has access to NBC Gold, you will be able to stream the Indy Lights races on the above websites and the app. Obviously, if you have access to NBC Gold in your country or region, this will be your only option.

I'll try to get a full confirmation on this, but it's basically the outline I've been given.
          Sounds good to me! Many thanks for the info!

Meanwhile, Dalton Kellett surprisingly signed a deal with Juncos Racing for 2019 season.

https://twitter.com/juncosracing/sta...09824464916480

That leaves us with the question - who will be driving for Carlin?
          Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

I've been part of forum discussions on this topic before, and I simply don't think your position has merit. This year, Indy Lights drivers will do two full oval race weekends (Indy and Gateway) and two full-day in-season official test days. That a ton of oval time. I simply don't believe the drivers need anything more that three race weekends on oval. This is about training. All eight of the currently confirmed Indy Lights drivers have significant oval seat time coming through USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000. IndyCar-caliber drivers have been developing their oval skill set for 2-4 years...so it's not like that have zero clue how to get around an oval. Matheus Leist did ONE season of Indy Lights in 2017 so he had three oval starts before moving to IndyCar. Spencer Pigot ran just one season of Indy Lights, so he had three Indy Lights oval races as well, but another handful on his way through USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 (Pro Mazda).

Having just two oval races for Indy Lights is FAR from ' a joke'. It's situational. And I would expect to see the third oval come back in 2020.
            Why not cut a road/street event instead of a oval?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
              Why not cut a road/street event instead of a oval?
              chris, come on, you're smarter than this. only usf2000 has a legitimate full field. when trying to attract a world wide pool of drivers, you need to be providing what the rest of the world is doing with a sprinkling of ovals.

Comment

Originally posted by nospheratez View Post
                Meanwhile, Dalton Kellett surprisingly signed a deal with Juncos Racing for 2019 season.
                i'm now wondering if dalton become the second indy500 entry for juncos.
                does he qualify under the new points requirement for getting approved to drive the indy500?

Comment

Originally posted by ndcrs View Post
                  what's up with dalton, where is he landing?
                  Juncos Indy Lights

Comment

Originally posted by ndcrs View Post
                    chris, come on, you're smarter than this. only usf2000 has a legitimate full field. when trying to attract a world wide pool of drivers, you need to be providing what the rest of the world is doing with a sprinkling of ovals.
                    Maybe there is no reason to have 3 support series?

Comment

maybe

Comment

If you're going to pose that question, ask the drivers. It's their development we're talking about. When I've asked the top drivers, they've told me that the jump from USF2000 to Indy Pro 2000 is a big one....and they say the same about the jump from Indy Pro 2000 to Indy Lights. Going straight from USF2000 to Indy Lights is not easy. And not only in terms of skill requirement, but also when it comes to budget.

If you want to drop a series, which one do you drop?
                        Respectfully,

Rob Howden
                        IndyCar Radio Network

Comment

Rob Howden, do you have any news on Parker Thompson? I'm obviously, as a Dutchman being, a huge fan of Rinus VeeKay (I know both him and his dad a bit personally, they're awesome people) but I really hope Thompson gets a chance in Indy Lights...
                          IndyCar fan4ever.

Comment

Originally posted by castronevesfan3 View Post
                            Rob Howden, do you have any news on Parker Thompson? I'm obviously, as a Dutchman being, a huge fan of Rinus VeeKay (I know both him and his dad a bit personally, they're awesome people) but I really hope Thompson gets a chance in Indy Lights...
                            I have been given insider information on Parker, but I cannot divulge that information at this time. I can say that I expect to see him at the Spring Training test and, if I assume, St. Pete and beyond. But it won't been in a Lights car.
                            Respectfully,

Rob Howden
                            IndyCar Radio Network

Comment

I've been part of forum discussions on this topic before, and I simply don't think your position has merit. This year, Indy Lights drivers will do two full oval race weekends (Indy and Gateway) and two full-day in-season official test days. That a ton of oval time. I simply don't believe the drivers need anything more that three race weekends on oval. This is about training.

Respectfully disagree Rob.

2 oval races in your supposed top rung of the Indy Car ladder is pathetic. No matter how you slice it.

These teenagers (most of whom have very little car racing experience of any kind to begin with) need to learn how to actually RACE on ovals. Not run around by themselves in a test for a day. That's where their training to RACE at 230 MPH at a high speed oval like Indianapolis is woefully inadequate.

Then again if you've only got 9 or 10 cars in the series, most oval races turn into test sessions anyway.

Its just a bad place Lights is in and has been in far too often in the past 5-10 years. If your goal is actually to have drivers racing in the Indianapolis 500, who have the race craft to actually belong there and not be in over their skis and dangerous to other competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by CrankShaft View Post
                                Then again if you've only got 9 or 10 cars in the series, most oval races turn into test sessions anyway.
                                Doesn't that sentence negate the rest of your argument? And with more oval races, you would probably see even fewer Lights entries.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X