2019 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires grid

Well, it's 38 days until the first race of the season at St. Petersburg and there is only 3 drivers officialy signed. I realize that most of the field could be signed on the week prior the first race, but... In the best case scenario I can't see any major grow in terms of car count. Pelfrey's plans are unknown, Carlin is silent and even Andretti has only Ryan Norman in its stable at the moment.

P.S. I think, that it's pretty silly, but some joker put Team Penske, SPM and DragonSpeed on 2019 Lights Wikipedia page
    Nastalgia & headache.

Originally posted by nospheratez View Post
    Well, it's 38 days until the first race of the season at St. Petersburg and there is only 3 drivers officialy signed. I realize that most of the field could be signed on the week prior the first race, but... In the best case scenario I can't see any major grow in terms of car count. Pelfrey's plans are unknown, Carlin is silent and even Andretti has only Ryan Norman in its stable at the moment.

P.S. I think, that it's pretty silly, but some joker put Team Penske, SPM and DragonSpeed on 2019 Lights Wikipedia page
    I'd be okay to see F4 and F3 take over the ladder system, currently there are too many steps to the ladder which has made it harder for young drivers and families to budget their futures.
    "when you no longer go for the gap, you are no longer a racing driver" Ayrton Senna

Twitter: _6thgear_

Comment

Originally posted by sean26 View Post
      I'd be okay to see F4 and F3 take over the ladder system, currently there are too many steps to the ladder which has made it harder for young drivers and families to budget their futures.
      The problem with that is that USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 are healthy - much healthier than USF3 or USF4.

Comment

Originally posted by drdisque View Post
        The problem with that is that USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000 are healthy - much healthier than USF3 or USF4.
        Let's see how many show up for the open test... although the F3 car count was a bit grim last year the F4 numbers were in the 30s
        "when you no longer go for the gap, you are no longer a racing driver" Ayrton Senna

Twitter: _6thgear_

Comment

Who are the 3 drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
            Who are the 3 drivers?
            Norman for Andretti, De Melo for Belardi and Veekay for Juncos.
            Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

Hey guys -

I'm working on an update now to see where things stands at this point for Indy Lights (and USF2000 and Indy Pro 2000). I'll have my first podcast of the year out early next week.
              Respectfully,

Rob Howden
              IndyCar Radio Network
              www.roadtoindyinsider.com
              Road to Indy Presented by Cooper Tires Announcer
              Twitter: @robhowden / @RTI_Insider
              Instagram: @robhowdenracing

Comment

Alright, we have fourth driver now.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/01...ti-Indy-Lights
                Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

Actually a Fifth as BN Racing confirmed that David Malukas would be in their car this week buried in their press release about their recently signed USF2000 driver. 5 cars confirmed in January is pretty average for Indy Lights the last few years. Unfortunately, there's only one more "definitely running" car left (#98 Andretti/Herta) and now that I write that, with Colton moving onto IndyCar I don't know if that car is truly a "definite" anymore. There's a second Belardi seat open and they want to run it but won't for free and same with the second Juncos seat. I think best case if all 3 of those cars cars get filled and we have 8 cars on the grid at St. Pete that's the best likely scenario. A Pelfrey car or 4th Andretti car would be a surprise bonus at this point and I think the chances of a Carlin car are pretty slim at this point considering they can't fully fund their second IndyCar. I do see them having an inside track possibly on any European driver that's left out to dry of competitive rides in F2 and decides to go to Indy Lights, that Carlin name does still carry some cache.

Comment

Beating a dead horse here i know but they can't continue to trot out 8 car fields, it is just not a good look. At one time quite a few of the full time Indy Car teams ran at least a car, but when they pulled out it just dried up.

Comment

O'Ward is showing that signing a deal super late can still get you a great ride in the series.
                      "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Originally posted by gottastayfly View Post
                        O'Ward is showing that signing a deal super late can still get you a great ride in the series.
                        It was in 2017, when O'Ward been signed by Team Pelfrey a couple of weeks prior the first race. Last year he was with Andretti all winter long.

However, I believe, that at least we will see Parker Thompson either in Andretti or Pelfrey car.
                        Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

Perhaps Indy Lights should switch to LMP2 cars or something.

Comment

Originally posted by gottastayfly View Post
                            Everyone who wins the Indy Lights championship gets a Indy Car deal the following year.

Still remains to be seen how "great" this ride actually will be anyway. Its only because they have some affiliation with Andretti that they may be competitive. They don't have any real sponsorship it appears and those teams normally don't hang around long. We will see.

Comment

Racer reports, that we have our sixth driver now.

https://racer.com/2019/02/04/belardi...kohl-for-2019/

Also the article mentions, that Belardi Auto Racing is about to run three cars in 2019.
                              Nastalgia & headache.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X