Pinewood derby car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinewood derby car

My daughter is patterning her car after Alonso's championship winning car.
    Her choice. I wonder how many Girl Scouts in Indy are Fernando Alonso fans. Proud of my girl!
    It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Well, that little Alonso fan is special.
    DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

My son came in second one year and got to go to the regional races...the trophy he won still holds a special place right next to the bed.

You shall have to share a picture of the finished car, Pat.
      You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode
        My son came in second one year and got to go to the regional races...the trophy he won still holds a special place right next to the bed.

You shall have to share a picture of the finished car, Pat.
        I think she isn't too worried about results, as long as it looks good. Probably won't be a trophy by her bed.

But the shape looks good. If the paint looks good, I'll get that photo on here, TTE.

Comment

Will it have wings to make it resember a modern open wheel/F1 car, or do rules mandate it maintain the traditional doorstop/Lotus Wedge shape at all costs?

Comment

>>"I wonder how many Girl Scouts in Indy are Fernando Alonso fans."<<

Not many. But there aren't many kids like Megan, either. You have every reason to be proud, dad!

Comment

Originally posted by theunions
              Will it have wings to make it resember a modern open wheel/F1 car, or do rules mandate it maintain the traditional doorstop/Lotus Wedge shape at all costs?
              Yeh, kind of the wedge/doorstop thing, but the shape is still pretty cool. We'll see how the paint turns out.

3-wide, thanks for the kind words.

Comment

VERY cool your little girl's into F-1, and VERY cool her Girl Scout troop has a Pinewood Derby. Your neighborhood must be thoroughly into the 21st Century.

I'll put it this way--when my stepson was a Cub, my wife, a lifelong Girl Scout, got a load of Pinewood Derby and Rocket Derby and Kite Derby and such and snarled at me one day, "How come they get to do such fun stuff?"

And I snarled right back, "Because they're BOYS!!"

Seriously, she didn't get to do any of that as a kid, and my stepdaughter (now 19) didn't get to do any of that as a kid in her troop. They basically sold cookies, did dopey projects and socialized...
                "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                --Danny Noonan

Comment

Yes very cool. I was a Cub Scout and ran a Pine Wood derby car in 1961. It was a lot of fun. My dad helped a little but I did most of the work. I won my heat and got a blue ribbon, which I still have. I placed third in the final. You go girl!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDC
                    My daughter is patterning her car after Alonso's championship winning car.
                    Her choice. I wonder how many Girl Scouts in Indy are Fernando Alonso fans. Proud of my girl!
                    You are bringing back memories. My first pinewood derby car was blue with "Elf" on it and #4 for Jackie Stewart (1971). At the time I didn't know what Elf meant, but I didn't care as it looked F1 (although in shape it looked more like a midget).

Hope she wins.

Comment

Good going, Megan!

I'm available for 'gopher' duties, if needed.

Will the transporter be painted the same, Pat?

Comment

We'll be doing good to get the car ready in time, forget the transporter!

Comment

Pat, what kind of aero package is she going to have?

3 Wide, nice to see you on the F1 Forum for a change. Have you converted? Come on out to the USGP this summer and join in on the barbeque at my house the night before the race. The guest list reads like a who's who from the F1 Forum; Swede, Lee Roy, PDC, MRook, Abdulalk, Eagle 104, and more to be announced later.

Comment

We built one only, one year, and won the whole shebang somehow. This was with my younger son, who was about 8 or 9 or something. I remember making sure it weighed as much as absolutely possible with adjustable weight, keeping that weight low - so it would handle - and freeing up the wheels with a lot of graphite.

He's 19 now, and the trophy and car are still on his bedroom shelf. From that doorstop we carved a sort of winged Indycar silhouette, painted it silver with some patriotic stickers, and glued in a red helmet.

It was lucky, and we quit while we were ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by PDC
                              We'll be doing good to get the car ready in time, forget the transporter!
                              So, no wind tunnel time I guess?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X