F1 drivers from 80's racing again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 drivers from 80's racing again

Several of the greats of F1 racing from the 80's will be in a series called the F1 GP Masters. Emerson Fittipaldi, Alain Prost, Alan Jones, Nigel Mansell, Stefan Johannson, Eddie Cheever, Andrea DeCesaris, Derek Warrick, Hans Stuck, Rene Arnoux and many more. Go to their website for more information. First race is next week in Johannasburg, South Africa. You should check out their video from the test session at Silverstone and "turn up the sound".

www.GPMasters.com

Thanks. I enjoyed the video. Lots of smiles on those old birds' faces.
    It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

I'm gonna be there the whole weekend!!! cant wait!

Comment

Give us a report, SAF.
        It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

It's a neat idae, but why is Kyalami the only event that comes up when you click on "The Events"? Sounds like there may a ways to go with the promotional side.

Comment

Finally got to a computer that let me bring up the Silverstone test today. Good sounds, 650hp, minimum downforce, big mechanical grip... these guys may be on to something. 3.5 liter Cosworth with about 10 and half thousand revs - hey thay sounds like an engine we knew not too long ago.

Looks like a formula for excitement, but of course... the TV sched shows only "Highlights" on ESPN from SudAfrika. And when might those highlights be?
            Coupled with a hit-or-miss A1GP package, the promise is there, but I'd sure like to be able to bank on seeing some of these events over the winter. Or even next weekend.

And another thing. How come the Euros have more cool open-wheel than us?
            I'll tell ya, if Eisenhower were still in office, things'd be diff'rent... in my day, we didn't know from fenders, unless they were on some British or Italian sporty-car... yeah, and all the women wore short skirts and halter tops, and the heat from the transmission tunnels felt good on their legs...

I digress. Hope to see some of these events pretty soon.

Comment

Will do PDC,

My brother is driving in one of the support races, so hope to see as much as i can!

Did you guys know that there is a 2 seater F1 GP aswell on the day, drivers taking part, Gianni Morbidelli, Ryan Hunter-Rae, Johnny Herbert,Tarso Marques , David Saelens. I'm not sure if Alan van der Merwe (BAR) will be there aswell.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Thankfully both the qualifying and race are available live here on MotorsTV.

Should be a fun race with good old Murray Walker coming back to commentate.

Comment

Cool to see that Steve Olvey is chief medical officer.
                  I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

Comment

Originally posted by SAF1_fan
                    I'm not sure if Alan van der Merwe (BAR) will be there aswell.
                    Any idea what Sarel is up in current time? He was sure a force in the old Camel GT days...

Comment

That was a great video, thanks! Loved the sounds of the engines and the smiles on those heroes faces!

What a great idea.

Comment

Flatlander,

Sarel has retired from all forms of motorsport 2 or 3 years ago. He did some T.V commentary last year for the National rally championship, but dissappeared after that, suppose he is just running his car dealerships now. Whilly old fox was still wicked fast until the day he retired, get the feeling he may be staying away for a reason, (scared he may be lured back into racing/ralling)

Did you know he was one of the best rally drivers this country has ever seen aswell? awesome on dirt aswell as asphalt!

Comment

Flatlander,

Sarel has retired from all forms of motorsport 2 or 3 years ago. He did some T.V commentary last year for the National rally championship, but dissappeared after that, suppose he is just running his car dealerships now. Whilly old fox was still wicked fast until the day he retired, get the feeling he may be staying away for a reason, (scared he may be lured back into racing/ralling)

Did you know he was one of the best rally drivers this country has ever seen aswell? awesome on dirt aswell as asphalt!
                          I didn't know that, but it would explain his extraordinary car control. Something you had to have with the overpowered Corvette GTP...

Comment

Will do PDC,

My brother is driving in one of the support races, so hope to see as much as i can!

Did you guys know that there is a 2 seater F1 GP aswell on the day, drivers taking part, Gianni Morbidelli, Ryan Hunter-Rae, Johnny Herbert,Tarso Marques , David Saelens. I'm not sure if Alan van der Merwe (BAR) will be there aswell.
                            Have fun there and I always say this about Kyalami---BE SAFE!

Comment

I can't figure out why Alain Prost pulled out of this race. Although, as an American, happy to see Cheever take his place in this event. But I wonder what Alain's reason was. It is unfortunate that the decision came too late in order to line up an American network to broadcast this event. I would have loved to see this group back racing again. I believe it will be the most exciting racing event since this years Indy 500. Too bad that the GP Masters internet site won't be showing it live. Correct in saying, they don't have a long drawn up schedule yet. Looks like they are "test driving" the fan response with this on race.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X