• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nico Rosberg officially signs with Williams

He should be fun to watch.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34485

ROSBERG SIGNS WILLIAMS RACE DEAL

Nico Rosberg has signed a long-term race deal with Williams alongside Australian Mark Webber.

Rosberg, who won the inaugural GP2 Series title last month, has long been mooted for the role and was announced by Williams as Nick Heidfeld's successor on Thursday.

“For quite a few years, I kept a number of options open, such as continuing my education, but this announcement is the validation after ten years of racing that I have chosen the right direction," said the 20-year-old.

"Winning the GP2 title this season, especially given the competition, was a satisfying achievement, but of course this development is the crowning glory of a great year.

"I am really looking forward to starting work at the end of this month and learning as much from the team as I possibly can.”

Rosberg's connection with the Williams team is deep.

His father Keke, who is also Nico's manager, became the first Finn to win the Formula 1 world championship with Williams in 1982.

Nico himself made his F1 test debut with the team when he was just 17.

Rosberg Jr is reputed to be valued by the team not only for his speed but also his intelligence.

The young German was accepted to Imperial College in London to read for an engineering degree before committing his future to F1.

Frank Williams is delighted to have signed Rosberg and sees him as an investment - the chance to hone a home-grown champion, much like Renault has done with Fernando Alonso.

“I believe I am one of many in Formula 1 who is genuinely excited about the prospect of Nico Rosberg," he said.

"Given the attention he commands, I am delighted he has signed with us for next season.”

Williams has yet to decide on its third driver in 2006, although no decision on that is expected for some time.

Rosberg meanwhile will resume testing in Barcelona on November 29, when he will become the first Williams driver to use V8 Cosworth power since his father won the Race of Champions at Brands Hatch in 1983.

I am just curious why he is German, having a Finnish (Swedish-born) father. I know that Keke has been competing in the DTM, but still......??
    Swede (aka ExSwede)

Comment

This might explain it...

http://www.keke-rosberg.moonfruit.com/nicorosberg

Says he was born in Germany. Is his mother German? Maybe he's going to be like his dad...born in another country, yet race under the Finnish flag.

Sounds reasonable to me

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X