Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 going ugly(merged threads)

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=140770

I don't care why... that thing is too ugly to consider...

jono

That's definitely pretty fugly. I'd rather see them bring back the six-wheeler than put this piece of junk on the track.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." --- Ayrton Senna

Comment

Insert Speed Racer into the cockpit and you're ready to go!
      It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

Are we April 1st?...

Comment

And I thought the 2004 Williams 'Hammerhead' was ugly.

Ohhh...if only we could go back to the classic lines of a 1965 Lotus.
          For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

Comment

This is from the FIA... supposed to show why we "need" this.

Oh, and according to Atlas/Autosport, it's already approved for 2007! along with slicks and tire changes returning and a new qualifying system

jono

Comment

OK, So they are butchering the wings to make the air flow less turbulent behind the cars, I can dig that. If thats their objective why not ban wings all together?
              For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

Comment

Originally posted by Indycarjunkie
                OK, So they are butchering the wings to make the air flow less turbulent behind the cars, I can dig that. If thats their objective why not ban wings all together?
                Because that would mean losing advertising space on the cars...

The airbox structure was kept after Imola 1994 for that reason, even though the FIA wanted to get rid of the engine air-induction effect. The CSI had done that for Spain 1976 and that's how the cars lost those big early-mid-1970s-style airboxes.

Comment

Sort of reminds me of the trick wing that Gilles Villeneuve and Ferrari used at Long Beach in 1982.

But that was definitely prettier than this monstrosity.

Comment

Again... its like people have completly forgotten about drafting. Wings create turbulance these days because they are far more efficient than they were just 15 years ago. Better use of the air, producing more efficient vortexs especially, IS turbulance. If you mandate that they are less efficient, the cars less coke bottled for one, magically that turbulance will be relaxed...

But no no no, lets just a punch a huge freaking hole in the rear wing.

Hey, its good for US open wheel at least...

Comment

Form follows function.
                      "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                      ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

It looks like some sort of street maintenance machine.
                        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                        ~~Groucho Marx
                        I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Seems really ugly but if it will allow for more passing then I am not going to be against it.

Comment

F-1: Radical new wing(s) for more passing

FORMULA One yesterday unveiled a car designed to revolutionise the sport in the name of entertainment. The sport’s ten teams will be handed designs today for a car that will overturn conventional thinking and wipe out plans now on the drawing boards in an effort to promote overtaking and bring excitement back to Formula One.
                            Engineers, using sophisticated computers and wind tunnels, are designing Formula One cars faster than ever but they are so aerodynamically efficient and fast that cars behind cannot get close enough to overtake, turning races into dull processions.

Now the FIA, the governing body, has turned technology back on the teams by employing experts and a super-computer to design a new type of car that it claims will make overtaking easier without seriously affecting speeds.

The most radical part of the design is to abolish the conventional rear wing, which causes most of the problems. It is replaced by two separate wings that cause less turbulence behind the car, which will allow chasing drivers to get into the slipstream and catapult themselves ahead in the kind of spectacular overtaking manoeuvre that helped to forge Formula One’s reputation in years past. Out also will go the grooved, thin tyres of today to be replaced by fat “slicks” — tyres with no tread but which give incredible adhesion to the track.

There is likely to be a sharp intake of breath among the ten team principals when the designs are put in front of them later today at a hotel in London’s Park Lane. They have spent tens of millions of pounds on complex software programmes, employed dozens of aerodynamicists and built huge wind tunnels, costing up to £20 million each, in the race to shave tenths of seconds off lap times. Now they face being handed designs that could force them to bin years of development and start all over again.

Formula One has been a battleground between the designers and the regulators with technology often racing ahead of the rules throughout the sport’s 55-year history. But the twin-wing car is the result of a long struggle to restrain the advance with a series of plans, first revealed to The Times in April 2004. Many of those plans are now in place but this is the final push by Max Mosley, the FIA president. He insists the teams will still be able to develop the new twin-wing design but gives warning that millions of fans around the world are demanding a sport that features overtaking on the track and not one that allows drivers to get ahead by artificial means, such as in pitstops.

That means radical action is needed now, although his timescale of having the new design ready as early as 2007, and certainly by 2008, could frighten the more entrenched teams.

“This new research is important for the future of Formula One,” Mosley said last night. “By introducing the new wing we can give motorsport fans exactly what they have asked for — wheel-to-wheel racing with much more overtaking. It is our hope that the teams will collaborate with us in the optimisation of this radical new idea, so that the aerodynamic benefits can be introduced into Formula One in 2007 rather than having to wait.”
                            Times

Comment

F1 Going Ugly

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X