Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance of US-based drivers breaking into F1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance of US-based drivers breaking into F1?

In particular I'm thinking of Sebastian Bordais, Dan Weldon and Scott Dixon. There's little doubt they all have their sights on F1 as the ultimate prize, but the question is what their chances are.

Dixon did a test with Williams last year but they were not impressed. However in a recent interview he's still talking about it. Maybe a testing role at one of the larger teams? Would he give up racing for testing? Hard to see room for Bordais and Weldon either. At least for a race seat.

As much as they might like to break into F1, it would be a truely ballsy move to give up racing in IRL or CART to be a test driver for an F1 team. The risk is they would end up like Luca Badoer, or Alex Wurz and spend their career as a tester. It probably pays well but not the reason they became racers.

A couple of years ago I would have said Phil Geibler and last year Sea Bass, but now I'm not so sure.

I think the one with the best chance, who has tested in F1 before is the aforementioned Sea Bass, but who knows really. I would say no chance to Dixon (although I personally would love it), Wheldon (no way) and no to RHR and even no to Dinger. If someone mentions Danica, they are seriously delusional.

For now I'm happy with Scott Speed.

Comment

I think either Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart could be competitive in F-1, and would draw a lot of attention to the series in the U.S.

That being said, there are two things working against them (well, actually more, but let's leave it at two):

1) I think they are looked down upon by the powers that be over in Europe;

2) They (Gordon & Stewart) wouldn't want to take the pay cut.

Scott Speed looks to be the best shot for now.
      Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

Originally posted by Hardscrabble
        I think either Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart could be competitive in F-1, and would draw a lot of attention to the series in the U.S.

That being said, there are two things working against them (well, actually more, but let's leave it at two):

1) I think they are looked down upon by the powers that be over in Europe;

2) They (Gordon & Stewart) wouldn't want to take the pay cut.

Scott Speed looks to be the best shot for now.
        Pay cut? They'd make much more in endorsements world wide where nationality doesn't play as much of a factor (except in sponsorship).

Gordon would do well and I think so would Stewart eventually, however if he tried any aggressive moves like he does in NASCAR, he'd be getting his car scraped off the wall or picked out of the kitty litter.

Comment

I would think that Tony Stewart would not be very sucessful because of his weight... he looks rather hefty by F1 standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardscrabble
            They (Gordon & Stewart) wouldn't want to take the pay cut.
            There's some truth to that. When Jeff Gordon drove Montoya's Williams around the F1 road course at IMS, he actually posted times that would have qualified him for the USGP. The next day, Frank Williams came out with a statement saying there was no way he could afford Gordon.
            “We live in a great and free country only because our forefathers were willing to wage war rather than accept the peace that spells destruction” Theodore Roosevelt

"There is nothing patriotic about hating your country, or pretending that you can love your country but despise your government. There is nothing heroic about turning your back on America, or ignoring your own responsibilities." Bill Clinton

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X