No announcement yet.

Alonso...bicycle accident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are often really, really bad about their driving around bikes and motorcycles. Sounds like one of those situations.
    I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
    Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Originally posted by indysteve View Post
      After what happened to Nicky Hayden, I would think anyone in motorsports - or anyone, period - would want to avoid cycling on public roads where there is any significant traffic. Of course, we don't know the details yet, so it could be a one of a million kind of thing that happened far away from a well traveled street. I'm not a cyclist, but if I was I wouldn't risk riding in traffic. I hope Fernando recovers quickly.
      Not a cyclist either but as I understand it, up to half the fun is riding in heavy traffic and cursing at cars.

Comment

Kind of concerned because I hear it was an upper jaw/midface fracture, which can affect your vision, among other things.

https://www.mclainsurgicalarts.com/f...aw-treatments/
        I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
        Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepcheap View Post

Not a cyclist either but as I understand it, up to half the fun is riding in heavy traffic and cursing at cars.
          I’m lucky to have trails and many connecting neighborhoods, so traffic isn’t a big problem for me. However, I’m well aware a fair amount of motorists do not like us and if I do get cut off, I just keep my mouth shut.
          It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe in LA View Post
            I ride, and have nearly had this accident--cruising along and someone makes a turn when you are too close to stop. Of course, that is with a driver who does not signal. If the driver is using a turn signal, this shouldn't happen, What I have read does not suggest the driver did anything wrong.

Lugano is pretty busy, but there are a lot of cyclists there--including top pros like Vincenzo Nibali, so not exactly hostile territory for bikes. I've driven in the same area as the accident, and I would not be afraid to ride there.

I'm more surprised that he was out on the roads in Lugano at this time of year--it's pretty damn cold.

In case you have not seen it, and have amazon prime, there is a 4 part documentary on Fred time away from F1. As all things like this, a bit worshipful, but good offseason material.
            Lugano is not bike friendly, it is no even on this list: https://www.velostaedte.ch/fileadmin..._Rangliste.pdf

Comment

Alonso in rehab:

Eu2SJ-UXYAAwSQd?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepcheap View Post

Or if you want to go back further, Bob Wollek.
                “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Good Fernando is recovering well from something that could have been worse. He is one guy who is 100% trying to be ready for race 1.
                  And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X