Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F1 to vote on Sprint races in place of qualifying for Italy, Canada and Brazil GP's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to vote on Sprint races in place of qualifying for Italy, Canada and Brazil GP's

I thought the idea was gimmicky and better served for lower divisions, but I like droppng the reverse grid idea from last year. I'm not a big fan of awarding so many points, or points at all. One of the great things about F1 was the scarcity of points and how even a single point means something. The more points awarded, the more than points are devalued overall.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55992727

"Qualifying for the Saturday race would take place on Friday.

The top eight drivers in the 'sprint' race would earn approximately half the points awarded for the grand prix.

The 'sprint' race would be about 100km - a third the length of a grand prix - and would replace qualifying, which takes place on Saturday afternoon or evening.

Qualifying for the sprint race would replace second practice, which is on Friday afternoon or evening.

The plan - the latest in a series of attempts to introduce sprint races in some form on Saturdays - is to be discussed at a meeting of the F1 Commission of senior figures.

To be passed, it needs a total of 28 out of 30 votes. Governing body the FIA and commercial rights holder F1 have 10 each, and the 10 teams one apiece.
    "

I don't care for the idea. For an exhibition sure, but not with points awarded that will affect the championship.

Comment

I don't get it. Why have F1 adopt the F2 format? This is not becoming of the 'premier' rung on the ladder, IMO.
      I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
      Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Not to mention it makes any sorts of comparisons to previous seasons meaningless. Sure there may be more racing per weekend, but I feel it devalues the main race on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
          Not to mention it makes any sorts of comparisons to previous seasons meaningless. Sure there may be more racing per weekend, but I feel it devalues the main race on Sunday.
          Thinking about it, I tend to agree with you here. I did watch some of the Daytona 24 "qualifying race" and it was fun to watch the cars go at it against each other. They had points, not half a race worth, but there was an incentive. Were they being easy with their race, sure, but they were racing. Big factor here for me was they did this the week before the 24, and also have finders on the cars, not open wheels.

Bigger points may lead to more excitement, but it does draw from the Sunday race because of this, and I think it will end up a parade or a demo derby. Leaning to parade as those cars are not $200 junkers.
          Round and round they go, no one knows who will win... that's one of the biggest thrills of the sport. <><

Comment

I tend to be a traditionalist--had no problem with 9 points for a win, no pit stops, no pole points etc...., and never thrilled with gimmicks. But, I'm not sure I mind this. The practice sessions aren't that exciting. Cutting practice sessions and adding a sprint race might make the weekend more interesting and a little less predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe in LA View Post
              I tend to be a traditionalist--had no problem with 9 points for a win, no pit stops, no pole points etc...., and never thrilled with gimmicks. But, I'm not sure I mind this. The practice sessions aren't that exciting. Cutting practice sessions and adding a sprint race might make the weekend more interesting and a little less predictable.
              My biggest complaint the point allocation. I'm fine with the races now they've eliminated reverse grid.

Comment

Teams are negotiating over extra money for crash damage. I definitely understand that, but what no one is talking about is that there is this extra opportunity to crash BOTH cars. Probably not a high probability, but as Murphy said, If it can happen, it will! You may not have enough time to build up the spare tub (only one that they are allowed to bring) and rebuild the other car. That presents the real possibility of missing points on Sunday if you were likely to finish in the top 10. I also haven’t heard how they will increase the limits for PU components and gearboxes. While the overall distances may be roughly the same, teams may turn up the PUs a bit more than they would for a practice session. As it stands now, they tend to use higher milage PUs for Friday sessions, but in this case that means at least qualifying for the Saturday race on the near end of life Friday PU...

Comment

I don't particularly mind this, but it really just makes the event a longer race spread over two days. The qually race grid is set by time. AFAIK the only difference between this and a Cup stage is that you can you can fix your car and can't lose a lap. It even has bonus points.
                  Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

It is funny that the perception of American racing is that it is shedding audience because of too many gimmicks (NASCAR especially), but the American owners of F1, shedding audience without gimmicks, think that is the answer.

Personally, I am not interested in deciding a championship with procedures that vary week-to-week. I think F1 had a really good thing going with knockout qualifying on starting race fuel load, with refueling. It mixed up the grid, created strategy, and led to some classic races. I still am not sure why, exactly, the 100 kg of fuel cannot be allocated as the teams please, thus allowing for refueling without F1 having to sacrifice its interest in the cars being "efficient."

I also think qualifying races are damning. If you reverse the grid, it is a gimmick and a game. If you do not reverse the grid, it is hard to see why, exactly, the finishing order on Sunday will be much different than on Sunday.

Weirdly enough, Drive to Survive and the crossover appeal of Lewis Hamilton, who received a lot of high-profile coverage outside of motorsports last year, would probably benefit F1 a lot more if they let F1 be F1. Catering to "the masses" has never gone well for racing because the height of every series' popularity seemed to coincide with authenticity, which also meant all the series were very easy to tell apart—they all had their own personality. That's good for folks who like racing, generally. Now, it sure seems hard to want to watch every series if they're all racing on one weekend because they're all vaguely going after the same exact thing...

But there's another dimension to it all. Declining TV revenues, pivots to streaming, F1 TV, and a fight for content. You know the rest.
                    Scott Speed was third fastest in FP2 at the 2007 French Grand Prix.

Comment

Will the Canadian and Brazilian GP's even take place this year?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X