Do you build F1 Model kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you build F1 Model kits?

Does anyone build F1 Plastic model kits here?
    Thoughts, images, experiences?

I did this years ago, got back into it more recently, really enjoy it and love seeing other's work, along with hearing how they might have accomplished things etc.

I also have a decent amount of boxes of to be built kits waiting for me. So... Thanks for responding.

Current project Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F1-2000.

Already completed MP4/8 and MP4/13

Round and round they go, no one knows who will win... that's one of the biggest thrills of the sport. <><

I used to and have several waiting to be built, including the F1-2000 and also a F2001 with the aftermarket Marlboro decals.

Last winter I built a Tamiya Lotus kit with my 5 year old, it did not turn out that great

Comment

Originally posted by brad.nky View Post
      Does anyone build F1 Plastic model kits here?
      Thoughts, images, experiences?

I did this years ago, got back into it more recently, really enjoy it and love seeing other's work, along with hearing how they might have accomplished things etc.

I also have a decent amount of boxes of to be built kits waiting for me. So... Thanks for responding.

Current project Tamiya 1:20 Ferrari F1-2000.

Already completed MP4/8 and MP4/13
      Have a couple but my modeling skills are not that great....
      I ended up buying diecasts since I can't screw that up.,...

Comment

I do have a couple in the closet, but can't seem to find time to work on them. They is way fiddly....Maybe a retirement project?
        BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

IMG_20160820_123249287.jpg

MP4-13 Tamiya kit. I had this for years, finally started working on models again and this was the final product.

This is the MP4-8 Tamiya kit I did. As I said I am getting back into this, learning a lot and enjoying it. Way too much going on in life, but I do find some time here and there to work on them.
          IMG_20190406_123154061.jpg
          IMG_20180825_144033022.jpg

Round and round they go, no one knows who will win... that's one of the biggest thrills of the sport. <><

Comment

Looks good nice work.

One dilemma I have with getting started is how far to go with painting and detailing. I built the MP4-8 as well and spent a lot of time on the engine/gearbox, even started to add coolant lines and wiring looms. But is anyone ever going to see that?

Comment

Baulz, ty! I get what you mean about the how far do you go. Fortunately the engine cover comes off to show off your work. I did not go that far with it, but I have bought upscale kits from hiroboy.com or ebay for my mp4-4, and will be looking for maybe some carbon fiber decals as well for the other kits.

Comment

For the F2001 I bought the full detail set with all the teenie tiny bits, and the full carbon fiber decal set. I'm just too nervous to try to attack it.

Comment

Yep. Been building them for years. I prefer the Tamiya 1/20 and the Revell of Germany 1/24 kits, but some of the Fujimi 1/20 kits are really nice, too.

You may want to check out this board, started by one of our TF members.

http://mb2501.proboards.com/
                  I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
                  Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Used to build a lot of them many years ago and have a lot of unbuilt. No time between work and actual racing and probably will never build them.

Your models look pretty good. I built the MP4/8 years ago with Michael Andretti's number.

I have a few oddballs unbuilt like the 1/20 '95 Mild Seven Benetton from Academy and the Ligier conversion kit for another one. They are basically the same car that year, save for the Honda/Mugen engine vs. the Renault, since Tom Walkinshaw ran both with Flavio. Also, a Saudia Williams-Honda from 1984.

Most of mine are Tamyas 1/20 and 1/12. Never built the 1/12s I have.

I haven't paid much attention to newer Tamiya models due to time, but I saw they made excellent models of the John Player and Martini Lotus 79s in the last few years.

Ended up getting diecast/resin built models usually from Spark, who makes excellent models of some pretty obscure F1 cars and sports cars and did a great job on some Indy 500 winners. Was not a fan of 1/43 models as being too small for detail, but Spark, newer Minichamps, TSMs and very recent Brumms (Italian company) are really impressive and now have a lot of those.
                    And don't forget the heat!

Comment

I used to built them years ago but I stepped away from it. I still have a couple dozen on the shelf. Hopefully once I retire I will get back into it. I have the Tamiya 1/12 Ferrari 641 with a super detail kit. That will be a challenge. I love the 1/12 scale. I made a JPS Lotus and I had Mario sign it. It seems like Tamiya has stopped coming out with anything new.

Comment

Last Tamiya one was the pre-halo Ferrari. There is a kit to modify that to include a halo I think as well through Hiro.
                        Shame they are curbside too... love the engine work.

Comment

Ebbro is another Japanese manufacturer of high-quality 1/20 F1 car kits

Comment

4AB973A5-CC22-48D6-89A8-84E21D8CE8C5.jpegYes I will have to find some finished images and post them
                            No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post
                              4AB973A5-CC22-48D6-89A8-84E21D8CE8C5.jpegYes I will have to find some finished images and post them
                              Paint looks perfect. The trick is to spray them. That is my favorite part of the process. Taping them off and spraying is tedious and requires extreme patience but it makes or breaks the model.
                              "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X