Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albon in Gasly out for Belgium

So much for Red Bull's BS.

LONDON (Reuters) - Toro Rosso's Thai driver Alexander Albon will replace Pierre Gasly at Red Bull from the next race in Belgium, the Formula One team said on Monday.

Frenchman Gasly will take rookie Albon's place at Toro Rosso, a team also owned by Red Bull.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I guess we will see where Albon is at in his development. I'm rooting for him.

Comment

Tall order for Albon, but Red Bull is no longer just marking time, they are getting stronger as a team and Gasly nor Kyvatt is their future. Can't wait until the end of August, will this be the only shoe to drop before the next green flag???
      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by beej View Post
        Tall order for Albon, but Red Bull is no longer just marking time, they are getting stronger as a team and Gasly nor Kyvatt is their future. Can't wait until the end of August, will this be the only shoe to drop before the next green flag???
        Remove Verstappen and this organization is nothing. I'm sure Verstappen's agent knows he has Red Bull over a barrel the next time he's negotiating a contract.

I think their rashness with drivers is catching up with them. Gasly was promoted to Red Bull in the offseason simply because they are not going to take anyone from outside the realm where they sign drivers to long-term contracts at lower rates. Meanwhile, everyone questioned whether he was good enough. We're midway through the season, and Red Bull decided the guy they said less than a year ago was meriting promotion was not good enough. Comparing Gasly to Leclerc, Ferrari have actually far outperformed Red Bull here. I mentioned this elsewhere but if it was not for the FIA Superlicense rules that Verstappen's quick ascension to F1 was mostly the cause for why those now exist, Dan Ticktum and not Daniil Kyvat would've been in a Toro Rosso this year most likely. Fast forward to July, and Red Bull fired Ticktum entirely. That's not sound driver management. "Gasly nor Kvyat is their future" and yet that is who they have on their junior F1 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Privateer View Post

Remove Verstappen and this organization is nothing. I'm sure Verstappen's agent knows he has Red Bull over a barrel the next time he's negotiating a contract.

I think their rashness with drivers is catching up with them. Gasly was promoted to Red Bull in the offseason simply because they are not going to take anyone from outside the realm where they sign drivers to long-term contracts at lower rates. Meanwhile, everyone questioned whether he was good enough. We're midway through the season, and Red Bull decided the guy they said less than a year ago was meriting promotion was not good enough. Comparing Gasly to Leclerc, Ferrari have actually far outperformed Red Bull here. I mentioned this elsewhere but if it was not for the FIA Superlicense rules that Verstappen's quick ascension to F1 was mostly the cause for why those now exist, Dan Ticktum and not Daniil Kyvat would've been in a Toro Rosso this year most likely. Fast forward to July, and Red Bull fired Ticktum entirely. That's not sound driver management. "Gasly nor Kvyat is their future" and yet that is who they have on their junior F1 team.
          Gasly was promoted to Red Bull in the offseason simply because they are not going to take anyone from outside the realm where they sign drivers to long-term contracts at lower rates. Meanwhile, everyone questioned whether he was good enough. We're midway through the season, and Red Bull decided the guy they said less than a year ago was meriting promotion was not good enough
          Red Bull's decision is certainly not not an anomaly, Red Bull is not the first and won't be the last, but they are maybe the quickest to dimiss

Fast forward to July, and Red Bull fired Ticktum entirely. That's not sound driver management.
          Ticktum gave Red Bull little choice, amazing he lasted as long as he did.... Red Bull feeder system surely is not robust however..

Comment

Kinda sad to see the two Red Bull dump-ees in the same team.

Comment

Originally posted by beej View Post

Red Bull feeder system surely is not robust however..
              Red Bull has brought the sport Vettel, Ricciardo, Sainz and Max. I can't think of any other current team that has brought as much talent to the grid. Red Bull is cutthroat for those who trip up, but they have been pretty successful.

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER View Post

Red Bull has brought the sport Vettel, Ricciardo, Sainz and Max. I can't think of any other current team that has brought as much talent to the grid. Red Bull is cutthroat for those who trip up, but they have been pretty successful.
                Very true but the well seems somewhat dry at the moment.
                Counting down to my 32nd Greatest Spectacle in Racing, follow me on twitter @NDCar for photos, trivia and more about the Indianapolis 500.

Autosoft Dealer Management System - Highest rated Automotive DMS 2014, 2015, 2016 by Driving Sales. See what all the buzz is about - www.AutosoftDMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER View Post

Of course they have been successful, but this year they are lean, with Ticktum gone, they recruited O Ward away from Indy car to join the Red Bull Junior team and now having to resort to shuffling drivers between their two teams. Like I said, not exactly a robust feeder system.

Comment

Not surprised, Gasly was put into the fire and he was vastly overwhelmed by the talent of Max. I think Albon will do better but there aren't many drivers of the caliber of Max on the grid.

Comment

If you are running in one of the top six seats in F1 you get compared with Hamilton, Vettel, Verstapen, LeClerc and Bottas. That's tough company.
                      DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Since I don't have cable, I haven't seen a Grand Prix this season, but is it fair to say although Kvyat recently had a podium, Albon has been the most consistent Toro Rosso driver?
                        "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Comment

It was interesting to watch the side-by-side video of Verstappen and Gasly's Hungaroring laps. Pierre showed far more steering input than Max. It seems MV had a better set-up and/or PG was overdriving the car.
                          Last edited by Shake speare; 08-14-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
                            Since I don't have cable, I haven't seen a Grand Prix this season, but is it fair to say although Kvyat recently had a podium, Albon has been the most consistent Toro Rosso driver?
                            I'd guess that Marko/Red Bull figure they have enough data on Kvyat to know he'd make a reasonable second to Max but can't yet say for sure what Albon might be capable of so Alex gets the interim call up to assess his potential with the additional resources and added pressure of life inside the bigger team.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
                              I read a theory on another forum regarding Albon being Thai, as is Red Bulls 51% owner...

Also I think moving Kvyat back up to the main team could be seen as admitting they made a mistake giving up on up previously.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X