Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

    I was hoping #44 would make the pass and render the bad call moot.

    But Hamilton had no reason to make the pass attempt.

    Why risk a crash trying to pass for the lead when youre already leading?
    I was hoping Lewis would be following by 5.001 at the checkers.

    Comment


    • #77
      Yeah but it was quickly apparent that Vettel wasn't going to gap him.
      Live like Dave

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
        Yeah but it was quickly apparent that Vettel wasn't going to gap him.
        Or that Hamilton could catch him. Vettel was still much faster than the straights.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by fenderless View Post
          I had little-to-nothing invested in the outcome so I enjoyed it.
          I’m kinda the same. Really enjoyed the race. I do think that there is a much better to penalize that infraction, though. But I didn’t really care who won. For F1, that was a damn good race, IMO.

          I don’t agree that in general F1 is plagued by bad officiating. I don’t see it being any worse (and is maybe better) than in IndyCar.

          Comment


          • #80
            The thing is, Vettel braked for the corner, missed the corner, went across the grass (which is a bit further than being on track) and wound up ahead of Hamilton who was on track, under power and with full traction. Clearly there was no way to brake on the grass, but we hear all the time about how much aero drag these cars generate and how it slows the cars when not under power. Had he gotten out of the gas, he might have slowed down enough to rejoin the track under more control. However, he would have surely been passed by Hamilton.

            While the penalty can be argued, Vettel was guilty.

            Schumacher-Hill 1994 Adelaide SSDD...

            Comment


            • #81
              With all due respect, cutting the corner is a shorter route.

              Comment


              • #82
                Ferrari 'forgot' to tell LeClerc about the Vettel penalty.

                https://racer.com/2019/06/10/ferrari...ettel-penalty/

                Ferrari did not tell Charles Leclerc about Sebastian Vettel’s time penalty in the Canadian Grand Prix; the team saying it simply forgot to pass the message on in the late stages of the race.Leclerc finished six seconds behind his team-mate in third place on Sunday, while Vettel was demoted from first to second by a five-second time penalty for the way he rejoined the track after a mistake under pressure from Lewis Hamilton.
                Uh, yeah.....forgot....right....
                But they did remember to ask LeClerc if he wanted to pit for new tires to try for fastest lap. (note timing of request is uncertain, so it could have happened before Vettel penalty)

                OTOH, I suppose Ferrari has a right to keep their number 1 driver in second place, even if at their number 2 driver's expense.
                BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by CouchPilot View Post
                  With all due respect, cutting the corner is a shorter route.
                  Yes, I was tired. These being 90deg corners, the hypotenuse is shorter than the sum of the sides...
                  Last edited by flatlander_48; 06-11-2019, 10:02 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                    <snip>

                    I suppose Ferrari has a right to keep their number 1 driver in second place, even if at their number 2 driver's expense.
                    I suppose so as well. Could it be that a Formula One WDC is recognized all around the globe and for more than a couple weeks?

                    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post

                      Yes, I was tired. These being 90deg corners, the hypotenuse is shorter than the sum of the sides...
                      You may now move on to advance placement geometry.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        The Vettel thing has slowed down, so I am going to post this.
                        Every race, during the race, they show the head man at Mercedes-Benz. Sitting in a chair, wearing headphones, staring at a computer screen. Later, they show the head man at Ferrari. Sitting in a chair, wearing headphones, staring at a computer screen. Maybe later, they show another head of a team. Sitting in a chair, wearing headphones, staring at a computer screen.
                        At least at NASCAR, IndyCar, and other types of racing, they talk to these people. They just don't show pictures of these people, and that is it.
                        Not that these showing head men at teams takes away from the action on the track, but, it is just totally useless.

                        ==

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          The people in the booth usually do talk to Toto Wolff of Mercedes and Christian Horner of Red Bull. Often they will have McLaren's Zak Brown, Racing Point's Omar Snafzauer, and Haas's Guenther Steiner. Less frequently, Renault's Cyril Abiteboul. This is done via audio link, and happens during practice, quals and the race. These guys always add interesting info to the broadcasts. And, as you say, they also show them engrossed in the race, while not interviewing them.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by CouchPilot View Post

                            You may now move on to advance placement geometry.
                            No, it was actually 3 years of calculus for me, including differential equations. Ah, those were the days...

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
                              The Vettel thing has slowed down, so I am going to post this.
                              Every race, during the race, they show the head man at Mercedes-Benz. Sitting in a chair, wearing headphones, staring at a computer screen. Later, they show the head man at Ferrari. Sitting in a chair, wearing headphones, staring at a computer screen. Maybe later, they show another head of a team. Sitting in a chair, wearing headphones, staring at a computer screen.
                              At least at NASCAR, IndyCar, and other types of racing, they talk to these people. They just don't show pictures of these people, and that is it.
                              Not that these showing head men at teams takes away from the action on the track, but, it is just totally useless.

                              ==
                              In other disciplines, when they talk to people, it is usually during a yellow flag period. Usually the races take more time and there tend to be more yellow flag periods than in F1. Most of the team principals in F1 sit trackside. It would be difficult to get an interviewer and camera person in that position as they would be standing in pit lane or very close to it. Pretty sure that when we see shots of the trackside personnel that the camera person is on the garage side of the pit lane. For folks who sit inside the garage, like Toto, there may be some restrictions as to where interviewers and camera people can be...

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Interviews are not allowed on pit lane. And only the TV cameramen.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X