2004 Canadian GP, not decided.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Canadian GP, not decided.

Bernie denies a cancellation decision has been made.......YET.

http://canada.com/national/story.asp...4-3AE8D4A80DC2
    "When the music stops playing, Roger Penske will always find a seat"
    Danny Sullivan

Want to bet?

I think Bernie sent a letter and the Canadian organizer made the announcement. Bernie was caught off guard. He hasn't made it offical and hasn't made the schedule offical and then wham....the Canadian Press conference.

This didn't come out of thin air. I don't think Bernie expect an early announcement. I think he expected it to come out with the schedule.

But unless the Canadian Gov. changes the law for F1, I think its pretty much a done deal.
    Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tara
      This didn't come out of thin air. I don't think Bernie expect an early announcement. I think he expected it to come out with the schedule.
      I agree........it isn't the great surprise that Bernie is trying to sell.

Perhaps an intentional release to create an atmosphere of contention..........where teams and sponsors might volunteer to run without tobacco livery?

GV

Comment

Here are two quotes from the article ...

"I've no idea where this story came from. The calendar for 2004 has not been put out yet or even considered,'' Ecclestone was quoted by England's Press Association.

Asked what his thoughts were on next season's calendar he added: "I don't know what's in my head at the moment, I'm so busy but the calendar for 2004 is not out yet.''

Bernie is very vague. He really hasn't said anything specific about whether the GP is on or off.

Ted

Comment

Strategic leak......and a non-denial denial.

GV

Comment

Forrest Bond's RaceFax has an interesting commentary on this very thing today.

A couple of salient excerpts:

. . . being overlooked is the fact that Legault and Ecclestone are
            business partners, with regard to the Canadian race; that Legault and Ecclestone both attended a GP promoters meeting at Hockenheim last weekend
            and

Trust that this is just another example of Ecclestone's preference for brinkmanship, a technique which obviously worked quite well with the Belgians. The plan is both obvious and familiar: Ecclestone pulls the plug on the race. Montreal then either successfully lobbies the Canadian Parliament for a new exemption from the advertising ban, or loses tens of millions of dollars next June, and then lobbies Ottawa for the exemption.
            Lots more in the rest of his commentary at www.racefax.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X