Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG!!!! 2004 Canadian Grand Prix cancelled!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG!!!! 2004 Canadian Grand Prix cancelled!!!!!

According to atlas f1!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!:mad:

Check out the breaking news here:

www.tsn.ca

Shawn
    University of Kansas Cancer Center

OMG indeed. Was it replaced with the USGP, or will we see another announcement (Long Beach perhaps). Either way, demand for USGP tickets just went up.

Comment

Wow, I'm totally shocked. I had no idea this was a possibility.

Comment

...personally, I think it's ridiculous.

The TSN message board is full of less-than-complimentary reaction.....for good reason.

Here's one quote from 'stickshift' that I thought was funny and worth repeating;

>>>"Motor Racing in Canada has imploded. Especially with the shaky ground Cart is on. We will have:

No Players Racing program.
        No Cart.
        No Molson Indy's.
        No Canadian Grand Prix.

Now we'll have to invade Indiana?
        "<<<
        ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Wow! This is a stinker of the first order. Thanks Bernie.
          Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Bernie's just opening up the market for his post cart takeover...

Comment

Its the exact same thing that happened in Portugal... cig sponsorship is banned... and with Ferrari, McLaren, BAR, Jordan, and Renault still dependent on Tobacco money, they pressure F1 to cut the date off of the schedule. Its ridiculous.

Especially when you consider that France and the UK have banned the same advertising, yet still keep on racing. The teams seem to be trying to run F1 into the ground by forcing them from some of their strongest and oldest markets, in favor of going to new markets with blah tracks (Malaysia, USA, now China or Dubai.) The teams need to simply get with the times. Williams cut all tobacco sponsorship and is doing quite fine.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
                ...personally, I think it's ridiculous.

The TSN message board is full of less-than-complimentary reaction.....for good reason.

Here's one quote from 'stickshift' that I thought was funny and worth repeating;

>>>"Motor Racing in Canada has imploded. Especially with the shaky ground Cart is on. We will have:

No Players Racing program.
                No Cart.
                No Molson Indy's.
                No Canadian Grand Prix.

Now we'll have to invade Indiana?
                "<<<
                I KNEW we shouldn't trust those Canadians.

Comment

Just a little question for thinking then.

With the timing of the recent dates, why did the 2004 USGP get rescheduled? One theory was to save traveling costs by having back to back North American GP's.

There's more afoot. I'm interested to learn what it is.

Comment

WTF?
                    The main reason for moving the USPG to June was to combine the travel expenses to North America with Montreal.

Hey, Bernie, give us back our late September date! (the weather is perfect then)

P.S. Put the USGP back to last week of September, then you can run Mexico City 2 weeks later (since MPH won't be around then)
                    Last edited by Lemming51; 08-07-2003, 11:13 PM.
                    "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
                    “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
                    "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Comment

Originally posted by Taxpayer
                      Just a little question for thinking then.

With the timing of the recent dates, why did the 2004 USGP get rescheduled? One theory was to save traveling costs by having back to back North American GP's.

There's more afoot. I'm interested to learn what it is.

...that's an under-statement, to say the least!

Yup, the wheels are turning big-time.
                      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Theres an article on rpm.espn.com now, Link.

Basically the same junk... from AP.

Still no word from SpeedTV.com, Formula1.com, AtlasF1.com, or anywhere else...

Im still waiting to see some reactions and quotes...

Comment

I will believe this story when I see the final 2004 schedule, IN OCTOBER. Lots can happen before then.

Ted

Comment

quite honestly, this makes me literally sick to my stomach.

i've been dreaming of seeing a race on a real F1 track since the first time I went to indy.

this SUCKS
                            It's a brand new day.

Comment

Originally posted by slinger
                              Wow! This is a stinker of the first order. Thanks Bernie.
                              As with Spa, there would have been a vote from the teams. It isn't an exclusive Bernie decision.

Formula One has an agreement to be tobacco-free by 2006. That schedule has been public for some time. The European Union was aware of it also.........and they still moved their scheduled ban up to July 2005. So I expect there to be more problems in 2005 on this issue.

Canada gave a 7 year exclusion to Formula One tobacco advertising in 1997. So they're merely enacting that schedule. However, unlike Belgium they do not intend to ask for a government exclusionary extension for Formula One.

F1 Teams with tobacco sponsorship are naturally going to keep their contracts through 2005. Notable exception being Frank Williams, who dropped tobacco sponsorship in 2000. Interesting to note that the non-tobacco teams voted on skipping Spa this year.

GV
                              Last edited by GrandView; 08-07-2003, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X