Ralf penalised for Hockenheim crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralf penalised for Hockenheim crash

Ralf Schumacher is being penalized ten grid positions at Hungary for causing the first-lap crash at Hockenheim.

Ralf penalised for Hockenheim crash

Should Ralf be penalized? Or was it "just one of them deals in racin'" as A.J. would say? Ralf clearly made a mistake and caused the crash, but I'm not sure there should be a penalty for it.
    "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

After some of the stuff I've seen in F1, I'm beginning to think the chief steward is the Queen of Hearts. If he had taken out a couple of Minardis or Saubers, probably nothing would have happened.
    Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Exactly, no consistency.

Comment

The penalty was well deserved IMO.

He admitted to the stewards aftwards that he wasn't paying attention to the cars alongside. I think that pretty much sealed his fate.

Comment

...I agree with the penalty.

What struck me funny was that Ralf admitted he wasn't paying attention to the cars beside him.......huh?! It's not like it's his first GP.

I also agree about the lack of consistency.
          ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

I don't really know if it is fair or not but as a NON-Ralph fan I am not upset by the ruling.
            IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I think there's a fair chance this ruling will be overturned......or at least the penalty be lessoned.

The problem for Ralf wasn't missing seeing Rubens. He saw Rubens, and his move wasn't a chop on Rubens. He was ahead of him all the time and his move left to take a line into the corner could easily be compensated for by Rubens......if Kimi wasn't charging up the left of Rubens.

Kimi's move up the left was all right also. He was taking advantage of the slow start by Rubens. However, there isn't anyway Ralf can know that Rubens can't move any further to the left to adjust his entry into the corner necessitated by Ralf's move. Ralf can't see Kimi in his mirrors. He barely can see Rubens.

The most culpable in this incident is Ferrari's pathetic launch control.

GV

Comment

Originally posted by GrandView

GV
                Hard to believe that it is soooooo bad.
                IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

GV

...and hopefully this will be a non-issue next season.
                  ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

I think there's a fair chance this ruling will be overturned......or at least the penalty be lessoned.

The problem for Ralf wasn't missing seeing Rubens. He saw Rubens, and his move wasn't a chop on Rubens.
                    Then why did he tell the stewards otherwise?

"The stewards of the meeting received a report from the race director which stated that the driver of car no. 4 (R. Schumacher) caused an avoidable collision, contrary to article 53 of the 2003 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations and the drivers of car numbers 2, 4 and 6 (Rubens Barrichello, R. Schumacher and Kimi Raikkonen) and respective team managers were summoned," the FIA said in a statement.

"Having heard the explanation of each driver and having seen the different camera views of the incident, the stewards conclude that R. Schumacher began to move to his left to obtain a better racing line for the corner. R. Schumacher admitted to paying no attention to the position of the other cars during this manoeuvre.

"The stewards note that it is absolutely clear that R. Schumacher's car made contact with car number 2 (Barrichello), which in turn made contact with car number 6 (Raikkonen). Both drivers of cars number 2 and 6 were caught in a set of circumstances over which they had no control.

The stewards of the meeting impose on the driver of car number 4 (R. Schumacher) a drop of 10 grid positions at the driver's next race, in accordance with article 55(c) of the 2003 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations. The competitor is reminded of its right to appeal."
                    http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch
                      R. Schumacher admitted to paying no attention to the position of the other cars during this manoeuvre.
                      Well, that's hardly a direct quote from Ralf. I seriously doubt he said "I paid no attention to the position of the other cars during my manoevre."

Sir Frank Williams said in a statement: 'The stewards decided Ralf had not paid due attention to the cars on his left.'

Which implies that Ralf should have been aware of the position of Kimi in relation to Rubens. There isn't any way Ralf could be aware of that....save the ability to see through the Ferrari. Absent the McLaren on Rubens' left, there isn't any incident. Rubens moves to the left and follows Ralf through the turn. A manoevre that happens in every race.......particularly when a car has a slow start.

Ralf's drift to the left to take the correct line into the corner isn't even noteworthy if Rubens can compensate accordingly. The same move and response happens in every race of every season. Ralf can't be faulted for not being aware that Kimi is immediately to the left of Rubens.

Ralf's move shouldn't be singled out as the cause of the incident any more than anyone's failure to avoid the incident. Rubens was the singular driver involved that saw the entire incident evolving. A vantage that neither Kimi nor Ralf had.

This was just a racing incident.........and should be recognized at the appeal.

GV

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X