Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockenheim Race, Pretty Dam' Good,,,

Aloha All,, from the "Rock"

Not quite as much fun, or maybe not as good as last weeks race, but pretty dam' good, just the same... The "complexion" of the race, changed, each and every lap... Right from the drop of the "No Lights", or "Lights Out", til the drop of the checkers, just kept changing...

Is that Hockenhiem a Racing Factory, or what ? What a facility, what a crowd, makes parts of the Speedway F-1 course, look like a deer trail...

Question,,, First,,, why the big over runs on the corners, in the first place.... If the track is 50 feet wide, use it, all of it,,, but not an inch more... If you go off,,,, hello kitty litter.... If the track is 500 feet wide, use all of it, but no more... Second, the "overruns" are all painted, with stripes, even some in different colors... What kind of paint do they use ? Use to be, at least at the Speedway, as soon as a car touched the painted line, they lost traction, and boom, they hit the wall..... It looks like these F-1 cars are "pulling" 10 G's in the turns, and they can run right in the "painted area's", with no problems... The paint they use has got to have some kind of "glue" in it, or sand ??? Maybe atomic particles... I guess the over runs, are all about safety, that makes sense...

A guy could just get to like that "Shoemaker" guy,,, he's about half humble, and he does display, a shade of talent, at times... Even with the tire trouble today, he was waving to the crowd, with a big smile on his face, after the race... And I am sure, he wasn't smiling on the inside, all that much... But one pass he made, was worth the price of admission, right out in the dirt, didn't worry him one little bit, he just gassed it... But them Williams cars,,, they had them "Prancing Horse Cars" ,,, looking like they should have been turned out to "pastrue" or pulling a "rag wagon" this weekend, compaired to the Williams BMW's... That's not quite true, all them F-1 cars, from the slowest to the fastest, are just to much...

Do they down shift automatically also ????? Jeff Gordon and Yawn Pablo said something about shifting down, and you had to know what "gear" they were in, or what gear to "shoot for" on, each corner??? I didn't understand all of that conversation... At one time I thought that "auto transmissions" were a joke, for "girl" race car drivers only, same with the traction control, but these guys an't got the time to shift these cars, they are just to fast... At times, it looks like the driver, is just holding on for dear life, or is just along for the ride, but what a ride it must be...

And they have got to be going faster than they look on TV... Kimi's car was sheading parts for ten minutes, and it took about a quarter mile for it to come to a stop, and there wasn't much left of it, when it finally did stop... Here's another wrinkle, I never liked David Hobbs very much, but what a job, these guys do, it is just great... They make it easy to follow the flow of the race, and are very knowledgeable... Not too many words, not jabbering all the time, it's just about right...
    Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Aloha BigWheelHawaii

I can personally attest that since I attended my first Grand Prix last September and sat on the front straight it appeared to me that F1 cars do accelerate much quicker down the straight then IndyCars, I don't know if going counter clockwise adds to that perception OR not?

As for automatic OR shift transmissions? I think they do run automatic, but..if they ran the other I don't think you would get any different results as far as the Schumachers, Juan and Rakkinen are concerned, those guys would still probably be at the front of pack.

"I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Comment

...the F1 drivers shift both up & down manually. Their transmissions are best described as a 'manual-automatic'.

They have a button on the steering wheel in which the use to shift up or down, without the use of a clutch.

Michael Schumacher is arguably one of the best of all times. I'm just starting to wonder if he's starting to get 'bored'. I really think after he gets WDC #6 he'll retire. Now with Montoya's win he has made a charge to force Michael to 'earn it' this year....and it aint over with yet, still 4 more to go.

On the contrary, I've always really liked David Hobbs. These guys do a good job of being informative, humorous and fans during the telecasts.
      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
        ...the F1 drivers shift both up & down manually.
        Upshifts are still automatic.

GV

Comment

Originally posted by GrandView

GV

...I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
            ...I stand corrected.
            Actually, the auto transmission, traction control, and launch control were slated to disappear this season. Then it was put off until Silverstone.......then put off entirely for this season.

GV

Comment

Had to go back and check what was happening for 2004 season.......

Traction control permitted....

Launch control and auto tranmissions banned.....

GV

Comment

...as far as launch control, I hope it is ruled-out.

Too many aides doesn't showcase a driver's true talent.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandView

GV

Aloha GrandView,,,

That is what I picked up with, or from Jeffie and Juan at the Speedway... I just don't see the drivers making the 'Down Shifts on the in car camera's.... Not like the old paddle shifters,,, anyway,,, I guess... Must be under the steering wheel, maybe.......

As fast as these cars are, I can't see there is much time to do anything, but hang on.....

Do they use much of that "Down Shift" to slow the car down, or is it still mostly brakes ???

The best part of these cars, they just don't break down, it's hard to believe.... Of course at a million a copy, I guess it should run all race long... How much smaller are these cars, compaired to an IRL car or a CART car ????

Steve H, has said before, they are just lightening fast, in person.... NASCAR has done a great job, at promoting the speed of the cars on TV..., With these F-1 cars, there is no doubt, how fast they are, or how fast they are, to the TV viewer,... If they look that fast on TV, they just must be crazy in person... You watch Sprinters at Eldora on TV, and they look like are are just crawling around the track...They look so slow on TV... I think TV races do a lot of damage to the Sprinters, and Midgets.....
                  Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Comment

Originally posted by BigWheelHawaii

That is what I picked up with, or from Jeffie and Juan at the Speedway... I just don't see the drivers making the 'Down Shifts on the in car camera's.... Not like the old paddle shifters,,, anyway,,, I guess... Must be under the steering wheel, maybe.......
                    The rule that allowed automatic transmissions(more appropriately referred to as automatic accuation, because they are still manual gear changes.......under computer control), do allow automatic downshifts. And teams do use this option......depending upon circumstances, conditions, and circuits.

Everything being "normal", under computer control the lifting of the accelerator will cause the computer to interogate engine speed, wheel speed, disengage the clutch, match rpms, select the downshift, and re-engage clutch. If something is wrong (car sailing off the track out of control), the downshift will be rejected. The computer control system can be adjusted to accuate upshifts and downshifts to match differing characteristics of different circuits.

Also, the control for downshifts can be programmed to a button on the steering wheel. For instance a hairpin corner that is approached in 6th or 5th gear, but taken in 2nd gear. Pressing the button accuates the immediate gear change from 5th to 2nd. There is some question amongst the techies if this gear change is direct....or merely a sequential progression from 5th to 2nd. No matter, it happens so quickly even sequentially that the direct selection wouldn't gain much.

As fast as these cars are, I can't see there is much time to do anything, but hang on.....
                    Heh Heh......

Agreed. However, taking a look at Michael Schumacher's in-car shots is enlightening. That impressive array of buttons gets use during a race.

Do they use much of that "Down Shift" to slow the car down, or is it still mostly brakes ???
                    Brakes. The proper gear is engaged just prior to power being re-applied.

Incidently, applying those powerful brakes on a Formula One car is trickier than one might think. I believe Juan and Jeff discussed this during the demo at Indy. Massive braking effort strips speed from the car.............which also rapidly removes downforce from the front end............which induces a "scoot" affect on the car............which requires more braking force. Gives one a better appreciation for those smoking tires you see every now and then when a driver enters a corner at speed.

How much smaller are these cars, compaired to an IRL car or a CART car ????
                    They are narrower by about 8 inches, and potentially shorter. F1 wheelbase can be between 106" and 120", CART 120" and 126", IRL 110" hub to hub. F1 cars are about 1/2" lower than IRL cars at the engine cowl air induction. They do have lower side pods (they aren't subjected to hitting concrete walls........for the most part). Because of the differing environments they race on (lack of concrete walls) they tend to be lower and slimmer in body work and nose areas. Suspension components are likely less bulky and more fragile than an IRL or CART car.

Steve H, has said before, they are just lightening fast, in person.... With these F-1 cars, there is no doubt, how fast they are, or how fast they are, to the TV viewer,... If they look that fast on TV, they just must be crazy in person... You watch Sprinters at Eldora on TV, and they look like are are just crawling around the track...They look so slow on TV... I think TV races do a lot of damage to the Sprinters, and Midgets.....
                    Speed differential is easier to see, and judge on TV than constant high speed. I think you find that when watching in person also. Even after 20+ years at the Indy 500, it still took me about 12 laps to be convinced that these guys could actually maintain control at those high speeds. Then you become accustomed to the speed, and settle down to watch the race. Until something untoward happens that snaps you back to the reality.......and consequences........of sustained high speed. In person the speed differential of F1 cars at Indy is constantly in front of you. I sit at the entrance to turn 1 and also see a good bit of the interior of the course. I can see the quick deceleration entering turn 1, and the acceleration exiting corners on the interior portion.

One of the advantages of televised F1 that you can't really appreciate in person are the slow motion sequences of an F1 car negotiating a chicane, or riding a curb. Very strange things are happening to that rather fragile suspension.

GV

Comment

The most dramatic visual impact of the speed changes in the F1 car to me is seeing the cars live entering the pits at IMS. It is unbeleivable how rapidly they shed speed as they approach the speed restriction line entering the pits. I think the effect is exagerated compared to entering a corner, because the speed restriction is so low. The other place I found the speed changes to be particularly dramatic was the Cobo Hall turns at Detroit when the F1 cars ran there. The turns were very slow and the straight between them very short. The visual impact was not unlike an animal leaping from one corner to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe in LA
                        The most dramatic visual impact of the speed changes in the F1 car to me is seeing the cars live entering the pits at IMS.
                        For me it is when they leave the pits. My seats are in a very good location to see them get up to speed. It is amazing.
                        IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I recall the first time I saw the USGP cars at IMS.

We sat around the 200 meter mark before Turn 1 - where I thought I would see the cars in the midst of braking.

First car out on a hot lap, blows past us at full speed - somewhere near 200mph.

I figure, eh, he missed his braking point. No way he'll make that slow right-hander.

Nope - somewhere between 100 and 50, he gets on the brakes and makes the corner with ease.

indeed.
                          http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

...the acceleration and braking are something that can't be properly appreciated by watching on television....TV doesn't do it justice.

Watching from the SW Vista at IMS you can get a small sampling of both. Great watching them come out of turn #12 (from the infield onto the track) and accelerate through to the main straight.

Equally impressive to watch them come barreling through the pit-lane and decelaerating from race-speed to pit-speed in literally feet.

Comment

Aloha GRAND View,,,

I just want to thank you, for all your time, effort, and knowledge...

Not a doubt in my mind, you took your time, and sent the VERY Best... Thank you,,, big time....

You now too,,, please,,, move right on over to the "Grand Poo Bah Hall of Fame",,,

A Bingo Award, just falls a little short, even with a Big "Mahalo" and a Big Aloha attached or included...

Besides, with your understanding of all racing,,, you belong in the Hall of Fame, anyway...

But we will still add this Bingo Award, and I know many more, as Gold Stars, to the base of the Bronze Bust, of you 'likeness"... The Bronze Bust will be displayed in the Main Rotunda, of the Hall of Fame, for all to see, and enjoy...

Thank you again....

Michael Schumacher is just unreal, what a talent... I know Bernnie got on all them drivers this weekend, for not waving to the crowd... But Schumy looks like he still enjoys this whole Taco... And enjoys it as much, as he did ten years ago.... Me thinks so anyway...

I like big smiles, but I also like big emotion too, and some times in racing, the time is just not right... It is just not proper, or that special times that both can bloom, are few and far between... It's just not proper... I can understand being p_ssed off, and that's not the time to smile... Anyway...

I enjoyed your post,,,,
                              Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X