Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 moves 2004 race at Speedway to June

It's official....hereis the part I don't like though:

"George received the news from F-1 boss Bernie Ecclestone in a telephone call Wednesday."

F-1 moves 2004 race at Speedway to June

Unfortunately, I can't renew my tickets. I have an obligation to attend the IRL event at Pikes Peak in mid-June. The late June is simply not convenient for out of town visitors to IMS like myself.

I could plan to attend the Canadian GP, however if it did not conflict with other obligations. That is within driving distance of my house.

It makes me feel bad that I cannot attend the USGP at Indy. I really have enjoy the event since it's inception.

Comment

Trading Paint was a dryrun to convert to roadcourse set up in a short time this year it appears. Does put a crimp in vacation plans. The "CIRCUS" comes to town.
      Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Is the USGPINDY future in jeopardy?
        I think it is. Getting a date only 3 weeks after the 500 spells failure for this event. IMO the first step in moving it to the West Coast or somewhere.

Comment

I liked the September date as it is cooler. But it certaintly makes sense to have the two North American dates close together.

Since they only have to fly once, overseas, I guess the promoters will be getting a break on the fees, right?

I'll renew.

Comment

I like it, kids are out of school, better chance of me making it down from Michigan.

And it is earlier in the F1 season, less chance of Michael having the title locked up!

Comment

It also is not in conflict with college football.
              One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

This date will hurt attendance at both events.
                Don't try to me they are different crowds.

Comment

This should help attendance at the USGP. It was very difficult to give a prime seat away to a buddy last year, because September Sundays in the USA are for the NFL. I think you will have several more local casual fans attend the USGP in June than Sept.

Comment

Will out of town fans make two trips to Indy in a 3 week period? I think not.
                    This is Bernies way of getting out of town.

Comment

I like it.

There seems to be more interest in the races earlier in the season. Plus there's no interference with football.

I hope it works out.

Comment

Good news...This has lessened the chance of a "pull over and return the favor" finish. Sorry, but F-1 has never been that interesting to me. Doesn't somebody have to pass somebody before it's really racing? Grand Prix = Parade in my book.

If the IRL keeps on putting on the shows that they have been, most race fans will figure out where to put their money for good racing entertainment. IndyCar is gaining momentum.

Comment

I think the "out of towners" are two different crowds. The Indy 500 draws some internationally, but most from within the US. Many of the out of towners are past hoosiers living somewhere else. Like me, I travel in from NC. A friend of mine travels from Atlanta, another use to travel in from Texas, my brother also travels in from NC and a couple we know comes in from Florida.

The USGP draws in foreign "out of towners". I walked Circle Center mall the week of the first Indy GP and it was without doubt a "foreign" crowd. Sure there are a few cross-over fans that will be affected, but I don't think that many.

Most 500 fans buy tickets a year in advance so I don't really see it effecting people "short on cash" because they are three weeks apart.

I would guess the walkup crowd. The crowd that buys tickets the day of the race, may be negatively effected by the change and I would guess it will be the GP that suffers more since Indy is first.

Just have to wait and see if the June date brings in more or loses more. I don't think it will effect the 500 nor the 400 much.
                          Last edited by Tara; 08-01-2003, 06:44 AM.
                          Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Originally posted by SPM
                            Plus there's no "interference" with football.
                            Pun intended or not?

Comment

The Motreal race is just a couple weeks prior. Do you think that crowd will choose Indy or Montreal?

The domestic out of town 500 crowd and the F1 crowd are not mutually exclusive. One or the other or both will be adversely affected to some degree.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X