Extra point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra point

A nice boost to existing rule changes, get rewarded for your fast lap I would have scrapped the stipulation of having to finish in the top 10 though, and having to finish the race being good enough.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/f1...g-this-season/

Originally posted by West View Post
    A nice boost to existing rule changes, get rewarded for your fast lap I would have scrapped the stipulation of having to finish in the top 10 though, and having to finish the race being good enough.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/f1...g-this-season/
    That is the problem with the 1 point, as it's only for the Top 10. But with the big points now between each place it won't make a difference at all....They should say 5 points and open it up to anyone in the field to spice up the finale laps...Another poorly thought out rules change that won't make a difference in my opinion....
    Ferris

Comment

Still thinking it is 1-2-3-4-6-9.
      No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post
        Still thinking it is 1-2-3-4-6-9.
        The way it should be ;-)

Comment

Valteri Bottas captures the first point along with an incredible drive and win.
          "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
          "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris View Post

That is the problem with the 1 point, as it's only for the Top 10. But with the big points now between each place it won't make a difference at all....They should say 5 points and open it up to anyone in the field to spice up the finale laps...Another poorly thought out rules change that won't make a difference in my opinion....
            A single point can\will mean a lot more at the end of the season than in the beginning. As for being exclusive to the top ten, I'd have to agree with that. You don't want all the back markers who have nothing to lose pitting for fresh softees towards the end of the race, and that single point means a lot to them, because most assuredly they'll end up spoiling the end of the race with a caution.

Question is: Who's the first driver to throw away a decent finish trying to get that extra point? Vettel?
            "I don't have eyes in the back of my head!!!" -- Helio Castro-Neves

Comment

Originally posted by bsanderson View Post

The way it should be ;-)
              I agree.

Comment

Several drivers were heard on team radio, to be wanting that extra solitary point. They're all competitors and I wouldn't expect anything less.

Comment

The problem is that it doesn’t do a thing for the midpack teams. I can see offering a prize at the end of the season, but not championship points. It’s a Rich Get Richer deal...

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post
                    The problem is that it doesn’t do a thing for the midpack teams. I can see offering a prize at the end of the season, but not championship points. It’s a Rich Get Richer deal...
                    It's for the fans. As mrooke pointed out it has added to the competition. Say someone is nearly thirty seconds in the lead the last half of the race or even if it's close it's added excitement.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

So LeClerc was faster than Vettel but team orders were not to pass. Had plenty of time for a pit stop for new tyres and then fastest lap to give one point more to Ferrari and one less for Mercedes and a whole load of bragging rights afterwards for having the fastest car, media attention increased etc etc so why didn't they do it? Last day of the season and Mercedes win constructors title by 2 points effectively thrown away in the first race of the season. Not as obvious as Seb taking out Kimi on the first corner but similar waste of points.

Comment

Originally posted by Brize Guy View Post
                        So LeClerc was faster than Vettel but team orders were not to pass. Had plenty of time for a pit stop for new tyres and then fastest lap to give one point more to Ferrari and one less for Mercedes and a whole load of bragging rights afterwards for having the fastest car, media attention increased etc etc so why didn't they do it? Last day of the season and Mercedes win constructors title by 2 points effectively thrown away in the first race of the season. Not as obvious as Seb taking out Kimi on the first corner but similar waste of points.
                        "It's early days...." A strange mentality in sports by fans and the participants themselves (particularly in baseball) that somehow losses early in the season aren't as important as they are later on.

I didn't notice the gap back from the Ferraris but good point! They could have pitted both drivers, maintained order, and had two shots at that extra point. Guaranteed that mid to late season and a tight points race would have seen more urgency and risk in acquiring that extra point.
                        "I don't have eyes in the back of my head!!!" -- Helio Castro-Neves

Comment

LeClerc was 30 seconds clear of Magnussen, plenty of time and if both had stopped and one gave the other a tow/drs....

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post
                            It's for the fans. As mrooke pointed out it has added to the competition. Say someone is nearly thirty seconds in the lead the last half of the race or even if it's close it's added excitement.
                            I understand all that, but doesn’t do a thing for me...

Comment

OK. Some of the drivers appeared to be interested so the rule was not a total failure.
                              "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
                              "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X