Williams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Williams?

Not to overreact to the testing debacle (so far), but bnyone else feel like this is later stages of Brabham? Leadership has changed, they aren't signing top drivers anymore and the technical staff during the glory years is long gone. I thought bringing in Paddy Lowe from Mercedes was a bit of coup, but now I'm wondering if Mercedes didn't pawn him off on an unsuspecting customer. I realize they are budget limited, but a number of poorly funded teams are looking (over the last couple of years) much better. Hope I am wrong, but this is not looking good.

In F1 being last pays BIG

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...oosts-earnings

Comment

It's sad to see what has happened to Williams. I have been pulling for them, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot. This preseason has been a disaster for them and I think it's fair to say that Paddy Lowe has dropped the ball in a big way.
      I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
      Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

I'm still holding out hope for an improvement this year. They did give up on the 2018 car pretty early and the new car despite being late has some nice features.

Comment

Williams have been going downhill ever since BMW left them. They had fleeting moments of glory like Pastor Maldonaldo winning in Spain in 2012. Its hard to get back to the top once you lose manufacturer support these days....Mclaren is another team whose had better days in the past.

Comment

F1 is tough these days. The worst team is no longer an Andrea Moda or a Minardi. They are all good, just others are even better and have more money. Both talent and money are needed with the high tech nature of the aero, hybrid, and tire wear juggernaut of today's cars to get the right balance.

Mfg support, but also not losing your baseline are both critical as mentioned or it can be a death spiral. That's what happened to Lotus and Brabham, but times were simpler, but they also had low funding too at the time.
            And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe in LA View Post
              Not to overreact to the testing debacle (so far), but bnyone else feel like this is later stages of Brabham? Leadership has changed, they aren't signing top drivers anymore and the technical staff during the glory years is long gone. I thought bringing in Paddy Lowe from Mercedes was a bit of coup, but now I'm wondering if Mercedes didn't pawn him off on an unsuspecting customer. I realize they are budget limited, but a number of poorly funded teams are looking (over the last couple of years) much better. Hope I am wrong, but this is not looking good.
              Georgie Russell and Robert Kubica aren't top drivers?
              You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
                Williams have been going downhill ever since BMW left them. They had fleeting moments of glory like Pastor Maldonaldo winning in Spain in 2012. Its hard to get back to the top once you lose manufacturer support these days....Mclaren is another team whose had better days in the past.
                In 2014 they were on the way back up but a lot of that was down to their choice of engine supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post
                  Even if they were, you can't put lipstick on a pig and expect lemonade.
                  Keep in mind, I could be wrong

Comment

nm
                    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post
                      Talented yes, but not current top drivers. One's a rookie and one is coming back after not racing F1 for many years. Makes it harder to evaluate what goes wrong when it does. If you have Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel in the car and its slow, you know its the car.

Comment

Russell and Kubica (version 2.0) are perhaps the most unproven driver pairing on the 2019 grid. Albon and Kyvat are next in line, but they have a good car.

Comment

Max V reminds me of Kubica in his prime.

Comment

I wonder if Lowe had a better supporting cast at Mercedes and that allowed him time to concentrate on things other than scheduling? With the turnover at Williams in recent times, could be that they have fallen behind in this area. Clearly Lowe is very strong technically, but the planning, scheduling, etc. to make sure that things come together properly is a different skill/talent.

I think the Kubica/Russell pairing will be helpful to Williams. It has the young guy to push the veteran and the veteran to guide development and the young guy. Win/Win to me. Now if they can just translate feedback into positive steps forward...

Comment

Originally posted by West View Post
                              Max V reminds me of Kubica in his prime.
                              I don’t recall Kubica running into people like sMax does...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X