Livery Boredom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livery Boredom

Since most of the big players have unveiled their exciting new cars for 2019 and I can only imagine a bright red Ferrari is next... Whats keeping F1 teams from producing exciting liveries? Year after year it's the same thing. I get that they need to stick to a certain color scheme for history sake and major sponsor coverage and all that but can't they do some things to liven it up?

Discuss.

Or don't.
    Keep in mind, I could be wrong

The test livery used by Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 during its initial shakedown run on Monday was definitely interesting. Wish they'd run something like that all season
    "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
      The test livery used by Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 during its initial shakedown run on Monday was definitely interesting. Wish they'd run something like that all season
      It was very interesting and something newish. Just wish there was more of that for an entire season.
      Keep in mind, I could be wrong

Comment

IMO there's no need to entertain their fanbase with race-to-race changes in team cars' liveries, there's more than enough 'different' to talk about pre-race.
        "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
        "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

I think the teams in general do a decent job of keeping it fresh as much as is possible. McLaren, while not the most beautiful thing in the world, has done a nice job of bringing together classic McLaren colors in a creative way. That Alfa is pretty cool. Haas brough something entirely new to the table this year. I think Red Bull has been particularily creative over the years - love the current matte finish....

I do think one of the real fundamental problems is that F1 cars have not had a great aesthetic for a while now (I am not judging this, as a functional car is a beautiful car in its own way...) so it really makes it hard to make a great livery. The lists for best liveries of all time tends to be dominated by cars with fairly clean/simple lines that allows for artistic freedom with colors and graphics......

Comment

Yes, Alfa gave us a one-off livery just for February 14th, as the official livery will be shown on Monday in Barcelona...A few years back RBR ran the Camouflage car, which was quite cool...Sometimes on TV they don't look at brilliant as when you see them in person close up....The only thing you'll see during the season is the new odd sponsor logo...
            Ferris

Comment

We still have to see what the Red Bull and Alfa will look like in their definitive livery. I like the look of the new Williams and especially the HAAS. The new Ferrari looks interesting with the white replaced by black (I imagine this is because some are making noise that the PM red-and-white is too reminiscent of the Marlboro chevron).
              I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
              Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Originally posted by brundle View Post
                We still have to see what the Red Bull and Alfa will look like in their definitive livery. I like the look of the new Williams and especially the HAAS. The new Ferrari looks interesting with the white replaced by black (I imagine this is because some are making noise that the PM red-and-white is too reminiscent of the Marlboro chevron).
                The Australian government and the EU are investigating the legality of the Mission Winnow sponsorship from Philip Morris. British American Tobacco just launched their "A Better Tomorrow" campaign with McLaren which will likely get some scrutiny as well.

Comment

Personally I wish they would return to National colors. They lost their soul when Colin started painting his cars the color of cigarette packaging.

Of course National colors would mean they would all except for a couple teams be outfitted in British Racing Green.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                  I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post
                    Personally I wish they would return to National colors. They lost their soul when Colin started painting his cars the color of cigarette packaging.
                    Strict observance of national racing colors had been on the wane for years before Lotus' Gold Leaf sponsorship was announced. Colin Chapman's deal with Imperial beginning with the Lady Wigram Trophy in 1968 did not open the door to commercial sponsorship in F1 or even tobacco sponsorship in GP racing. That door had already been opened.

Originally posted by Frank Capua View Post
                    Of course National colors would mean they would all except for a couple teams be outfitted in British Racing Green.
                    Even if national racing colors were still in use in F1 today, few teams would be using British Racing Green on their cars; any shade of green for that matter. Few teams enter their cars under British licenses.

Many shades of green, including the color that has come to be known as BRG, were used on British entered cars of all types during the days when national colors were in vogue.
                    Last edited by editor; 02-16-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

The way they cropped the company crest on the engine cover of the Alpha-Romeo is...unfortunate. Cursed F1 car.
                      "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

I don't feel the need for significant changes for a team year to year if the sponsorship doesn't change, unless it does thing for promotion. However, if it is going to change, it needs to be effective and attention getting for branding, not someone's opinion on whether it looks good.

An example is the BWT pink of Force India/Racing Point. It is good looking? Depends on who you ask. It is unique and easy to spot in the distance and generates clear impression? Definitely.

The first title sponsor fully logoed in F1 was not with Lotus, but with Team Gunston's privateer team in South Africa in the same season. Gunston was a brand of a Rhodesian tobacco company sponsoring John Love, etc. from the South African F1 and open wheel series that ran one offs at Kyalami and occasionally UK races. Yes, F1 has had sponsor entered teams and private entries in the past (Vanwall, Yeoman Credit, etc.), but Gunston was the first title fully logoed one.

Imperial Tobacco UK was the first major title sponsor with a major team in F1 with Player's Gold Leaf brand with Lotus, later changed to their new John Player Special brand in 1972.

IMO, and pure speculation, Mission Winnow, is a pre-cursor to selling vaping products and setting a related branding ahead of launching it, and making something with casual association by the logo shape vs. what they have done with after the banning of the Marlboro roof logo. Philip Morris International is trying to associate the past Marlboro logo space next to the Ferrari prancing horse logo in the box with the new Mission Winnow logo as a transition.

British American Tobacco has made it clear that they are pursuing a post cigarette future with vaping, heating devices, etc, and this "Better Tomorrow" strategy may sound good to the public and regulators, but the logo is maybe a toe dip into a product that leverages that logo.

What both companies are doing, IMO, is a toe dip in the water to see what the regulators will do with a vaping product sponsorship before direct logo advertising like Indycar did with blu and Mystic.

i.e. it is opposite strategy of the past of trying to associate shapes and colors, but no brand wording with an existing tobacco product and not get banned. The current strategy is to create the image/logo/shapes, then the product brand comes later with a different name.
                        And don't forget the heat!

Comment

The Ferrari looks like it is being sponsored by the Cincinnati Bengals.. the matte finish looks orange unless in full shade ....
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

Livery Boredom?

I thought he was pretty good in No Country for Old Men.
                            "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
                              The way they cropped the company crest on the engine cover of the Alpha-Romeo is...unfortunate. Cursed F1 car.
                              But blessed by Baphomet.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X