Branson backs call to remove blue flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branson backs call to remove blue flags

Richard Branson has backed the call from Lotus boss Tony Fernandes to get rid of blue flags in grand prix racing. Fernandes, whose team has made its Formula 1 debut this year, said earlier this season that he believed the sport would benefit from not having blue flags.

Via http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87186

What's your take on removing blue flags?
    Fashion Trends

Never thought about it before, but it is an interesting idea.

Sportscar racing is made more interesting by the faster classes having to deal with the slower classes, so I could see F1 being more entertaining if the leaders have to pass the backmarkers on skill rather than blue flags. Might help keep the front runners from totally checking out on the midpackers as well, and that would also keep things interesting.

Now that I ponder it, I tentatively like the idea. Perhaps they should try it for a few races next season and see how it goes.

Comment

I hate it... the fast cars aren't really racing the lapped cars, they're only behind them on track by virtue of being so much faster. If you're not racing for a position, move out of the bloody way... and since we know people are too selfish to do that, we need blue flags.

Also consider a team like Red Bull, with a "B" team. Webber comes up, they slide over and let him through, Hamilton comes up and they race him hard. Not right for the crappy teams at the back to influence the overall result like that.

jono

Comment

I think the blue flags are necessary.

Comment

F1 blue flags differ from most road racing series.

In most series the blue flag is shown at the discretion of the corner marshals, and is a 'check your mirrors' advisory flag. If a slower car repeatedly 'ignores his mirrors', race control may take stronger measures. In F1, the blue flag is controlled by race control and is a command flag. In fact, the blue flaggers are on their own radio channel and are directed when and who to blue flag. If the slower car does not allow the faster car to pass within 3 blue flags (I think), the slower car can be penalized with a drive through or stop and go.
          BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Of course Branson could build better cars or hire better drivers and this wouldn't be an issue.
            It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by midtown View Post
              Of course Branson could build better cars or hire better drivers and this wouldn't be an issue.
              Removing the blue flags is a MUCH cheaper option.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X