Why did Williams took blue colour for 1985

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Williams took blue colour for 1985

Hi I always wondered why did williams included blue colour to their standard white and green. And dropped green. The renault and Elf deal came noly in 1989, so this was done 4 years prior in the time of honda and mobil 1

Wasn't green/white the colors of TAG, a major sponsor of Williams at the time?
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Because of this sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
        Green and White were for Saudia--Saudi national airlines. Green is very popular with Islamic countries--probably because the religion started out in an arid region.

Comment

With further looking I see that Saudia changed it's colors to blue. But I do not know when.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
            With further looking I see that Saudia changed it's colors to blue. But I do not know when.

Yes they did. Here's an older color scheme:

Comment

Williams changed its colours due to sponsorship. In 1985 they were sponsored by Canon, Denim, Mobil 1 and ICI. They weren't all blue either, they were predominately white with blue and gold. There was also a small Saudia sponsorship as well.

Comment

Remember Frank Williams used dark blue way back in the late 1960s when he first came to F1.
                "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Originally posted by ensign14 View Post
                  Remember Frank Williams used dark blue way back in the late 1960s when he first came to F1.
                  It also went quite well with the Rothmans sponsorship.

Have to admit, though, that I loved the early '90s saudia cars--even though I generally don't like green (on cars or anything other than vegetables for that matter) aside from on a classic British roadster.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
                    Williams changed its colours due to sponsorship. In 1985 they were sponsored by Canon, Denim, Mobil 1 and ICI. They weren't all blue either, they were predominately white with blue and gold. There was also a small Saudia sponsorship as well.
                    the most interestin thing is that colour scheme blue-white-yellow fitted perfectly in the early 90s when camel-renalut-elf came aboard

amazing, just as if they knew beforehand

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                      TAG wasn't necessarily a sponsor. The Porsche Turbo engines were badged as TAG because TAG paid for the R&D.

Originally posted by Joe in LA View Post
                      It also went quite well with the Rothmans sponsorship.

Have to admit, though, that I loved the early '90s saudia cars--even though I generally don't like green (on cars or anything other than vegetables for that matter) aside from on a classic British roadster.
                      Rothmans sponsorship didn't come till 1994, and the saudia cars were from the early 80's. Apologies if that was a typo.
                      "It takes a special level of incompetance to make a schedule this terrible. America is possibly the greatest country in the world overall for tracks. To make a bad schedule in America takes effort. A special kind of effort. A kind of effort that only IndyCar could come up with."

Comment

Originally posted by ptclaus98 View Post
                        TAG wasn't necessarily a sponsor. The Porsche Turbo engines were badged as TAG because TAG paid for the R&D.

Rothmans sponsorship didn't come till 1994, and the saudia cars were from the early 80's. Apologies if that was a typo.
                        Yes, major typo. I was around and following F1 in the 70s and 80s. Didn't mean to suggest any connection between the early 80s Saudi and the much later Rothman's

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X