F1 in HD for 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 in HD for 2011

On the BBC forum today, Eddie Jordan asked Bernie, when will F1 be in HD? The answer given, "probably next year, 2011".

It's been a long time coming but I can't wait.

Just thought I'd share that with you. Now off to score the picks.

Originally posted by mrooke View Post
    On the BBC forum today, Eddie Jordan asked Bernie, when will F1 be in HD? The answer given, "probably next year, 2011".

It's been a long time coming but I can't wait.

Just thought I'd share that with you. Now off to score the picks.
    Rumor has it that Bernie has been resisting HD because he feared his good looks on TV might be compromised with the clarity of HD.

Comment

WTH? Last I remember, Bernie said not for another three years...This man is really losing it. F1 in HD is awesome, but I'd like 3D also;
      I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

Comment

I thought it was already in HD?

Comment

Originally posted by chaparral 2k View Post
          No. No F1 races have been broadcast in HD, with the exception of a small private viewing in Montreal this year of HD F1 racing.
          I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

Comment

Originally posted by numetalbizkit View Post
            WTH? Last I remember, Bernie said not for another three years...This man is really losing it. F1 in HD is awesome, but I'd like 3D also;
            They have trialled 3D cameras this year at a race weekend already.

From what I remember, Bernie was put off the initial investment for HD, after his pay tv setup didn't generate the money he'd expected. He has also stated (not that long ago) that not enough people have HD tv's to warrant the switch to HD. If that number is too small, then how come other minor channels transmit their content in HD. I say the more the merrier. F1 in HD will be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by chaparral 2k View Post
              SpeedTV (or some intermediary) "upconverts" the SD signal that is the F1 feed to an HD picture for broadcast here in the US. When F1 really switches to a "true" HD signal, I bet you'll be surprised at how much better the picture will look.

To be fair to Bernie, if you are trying to create a signal that is compatible with all the different TV formats around the world, SD is still the easiest way to go ... and let the receiving country convert to their own format.

Just as with SD TV having 3 basic "standards" (PAL, SECAM and NTSC), HD has two basic standards (ATSC and DVB-T). Which should Bernie transmit ?? And, while here in the US HDTV is becoming common, it still is not the dominant format. In other parts of the world, HDTV is rare or non-existant. Europe has far fewer channels in HD than the US, and most of those are only available to satellite customers.

On this one, Bernie is just being a good business man. He's probably not going to convert to HD until there is a much larger demand around the world, and it isn't there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by BadazzZ06 View Post
                SpeedTV (or some intermediary) "upconverts" the SD signal that is the F1 feed to an HD picture for broadcast here in the US. When F1 really switches to a "true" HD signal, I bet you'll be surprised at how much better the picture will look.

To be fair to Bernie, if you are trying to create a signal that is compatible with all the different TV formats around the world, SD is still the easiest way to go ... and let the receiving country convert to their own format.

Just as with SD TV having 3 basic "standards" (PAL, SECAM and NTSC), HD has two basic standards (ATSC and DVB-T). Which should Bernie transmit ?? And, while here in the US HDTV is becoming common, it still is not the dominant format. In other parts of the world, HDTV is rare or non-existant. Europe has far fewer channels in HD than the US, and most of those are only available to satellite customers.

On this one, Bernie is just being a good business man. He's probably not going to convert to HD until there is a much larger demand around the world, and it isn't there yet.
                Interesting.
                I have a good eye for things but not with the piece of Crap! TV I have! (I need a new one) LOL - So thats why I didn't really know.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I thought the F1 races here in the US already were HD and apparently they almost are. Certainly is better than SD.

Comment

It is amazing to me that the "pinnacle" of motorsports in the entire world isn't in HD. The Olympics and World Cup have been for quite some time. The NFL first experimented at the 2000 Super Bowl (XXXIV), NASCAR has been since around 2004-05, and IndyCar started in 2007.
                    Doctorindy.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X