• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie GP set to be axed

link

Aussie GP set to be axed
    Eurosport - Sun, 09 Mar 12:44:00 2008

The Australian Grand Prix must become a night race or lose its place on the calendar, according to Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

But a week before the season opener in Melbourne next Sunday, the 77-year-old Briton added that the switch looked unlikely and the race appeared doomed.

"The only way the race could stay in Melbourne, or anywhere else in Australia, is if it is staged during the night so that the public in Europe can watch it," Ecclestone told the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

"At the moment, it is ridiculous that people are asked not to sleep in order to see it live.

"That can't carry on. The alternative is to pull the race completely from Australia.

"I've spoken to (Australian Prime Minister) Kevin Rudd and he's told me it would cost too much to re-stage the race, so I guess that's it. We won't be going to Australia for too much longer."

Melbourne's Albert Park circuit hosts the season opener next Sunday with the race starting later than in the past in a bid to satisfy television broadcasters in the sport's European heartland.

Singapore, which makes its debut with a street race in September, will be Formula One's first night grand prix and Malaysia is also considering holding its race under floodlights in future.

Melbourne has hosted the Australian Grand Prix since 1996, when it moved from Adelaide, and has a contract to 2010. The race has become the established opening event but has suffered financial losses.

Ecclestone has no shortage of candidates to take Australia's place, with Abu Dhabi coming in next year as a second Middle East race and India and South Korea lined up for Grands Prix in 2010.

Bahrain hosted the season opener in 2006 when Melbourne was hosting the Commonwealth Games.

There has also been talk of Russia having a grand prix while many sponsors and manufacturers want a U.S. race to be reinstated on the calendar after the disappearance of Indianapolis this season.

"At the moment, it is ridiculous that people are asked not to sleep in order to see it live.

lol - At what time does Bernie think Australia, China, Japan, Korea and all of South East Asia watch the races live from Europe and the Americas? Late at night and in the early hours of the morning! ... He goes on about China being an important market for F1 - but I guess all of Bernies billions (lol) of Chinese F1 fans are expected to not sleep if they want to watch races live. he is so full of crap...Senile wanker! ...

How much money does he need? He has gone of the deep end. He no longer is promoting a World Championship Series. All he is concerned about is the Euroweinies.
    www.fairtax.org

Comment

Originally posted by devowood
      . All he is concerned about is the Euroweinies.
      No he is the weinie!
      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

All he is concerned about is the Euroweinies.
        The only Euroweinie he is concerned about is himself...

edit, beat to the punch, that will teach me to take my time posting...
        "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

All he is concerned about is the Euroweinies.
          I doubt that since we will probably see Europe lose some of their host countries in the near future. Bernie might be concerned about the European TV market and the Euros that it brings in, but I don't think he cares any more for the European fans than he does the Austrailian or American fans. Bernie is a businesman first and foremost. He is always looking for ways to maximize profits.

Comment

That Bernie is quite the salesman. This reminds me of how he made me feel so welcome at the USGP.

I swear, that guy is never getting another penny from me...

I hope the FIA dumps Oz. Then the IRL can run Surfers and Melborne two weeks apart.
            "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Maybe they're making room for the USGP.

:tg
              It's hard to be cool when your dad is Goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by PDC
                Maybe they're making room for the USGP.

:tg
                That was exactly what I was thinking. The sponsors and manufacturers all want the USGP back. Bernie won't be able to hold out.

Comment

Originally posted by hikari
                  At what time does Bernie think Australia, China, Japan, Korea and all of South East Asia watch the races live from Europe and the Americas? Late at night and in the early hours of the morning! ... He goes on about China being an important market for F1 - but I guess all of Bernies billions (lol) of Chinese F1 fans are expected to not sleep if they want to watch races live. he is so full of crap...Senile wanker! ...
                  Bernie cares greatly about the European TV market... he just doesn't care if they have any races of their own.
                  "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Just when you think the guy couldn't become a bigger a-hole....

Congrats to TG for solidifying the soon-to-be biggest OW race of the year in AUS. But I'm sure if it comes roaring back as a huge success they will have hassles getting it approved by the FIA.
                    "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

early 90s CART is to NASCAR as late 00s F1 is to __________

a. DTM
                      b. LMS
                      c. NASCAR expansion into Europe
                      d. Nobody, F1 is an invulnerable juggernaut on a scale NASCAR can only dream of.
                      e. Just put the engines in front already!
                      h. I'm waiting for a silly season list posted by an insider.
                      Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin
                        early 90s CART is to NASCAR as late 00s F1 is to __________

a. DTM
                        b. LMS
                        c. NASCAR expansion into Europe
                        d. Nobody, F1 is an invulnerable juggernaut on a scale NASCAR can only dream of.
                        e. Just put the engines in front already!
                        h. I'm waiting for a silly season list posted by an insider.
                        I'll say (c.). The Canadians seemed to like NASCAR quite a bit when the Busch guys visited last year. No reason to assume the Europeans won't.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan
                          That was exactly what I was thinking. The sponsors and manufacturers all want the USGP back. Bernie won't be able to hold out.
                          There's precious little leverage either sponsors or manufacturers have over Bernie.

CVC and their CEO Bernie Ecclestone have to raise some rather large bucks to service their debt and pay share holders.

Not to mention the increased cut to the teams they committed to.

Comment

I think that Uncle Bernie the Melbourne promoter will strike a deal that makes sense to Uncle Bernie. But F1 will and always has followed the monies and Asia, Middle East, India and probably Russia are willing and most able to pay the $40 odd million Uncle Bernie requires to stage a round of the championship...
                            Ferris

Comment

Originally posted by athletics68
                              I'll say (c.). The Canadians seemed to like NASCAR quite a bit when the Busch guys visited last year. No reason to assume the Europeans won't.
                              There's some wishful thinking. One, Canada is next door to NASCAR's home country, where US TV is picked up by many Canadians. Two, Europe already has a clone, ASCAR, with local drivers and limited popularity. Where would anyone get the idea that a series full of Americans would draw better?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X