Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who hit the new formula E with the ugly stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGRiculture View Post

As far as FE being "doomed", most of the racing scribes that I've read think that FE and F1 will eventually merge sometime in the late 20s into one series with EVs.
    Not happening. Not with the plans for the 2026 F1 power units going the way they are. (and you'd have to get the FIA to rescind the EV single-seater exclusivity they gave FE)

But the notion that FE is doomed is patently ridiculous when you look at the facts; FE has consistently gained in viewership, attendance, and sponsorship money over it's life to date, and a few years of questionable aesthetics will have little, if any, impact on this; Many of the great racecars we consider gorgeous today were regarded as hideous monstrosities in their heyday and their respective series generally didn't suffer for it. Fans of a series are ultimately there for the things that make a series stand out, and a vehicle of questionable aesthetics does not usually on it's own degrade those things.

On top of that, when FE was created it was structured in a way to be able to weather the storm of a complete manufacturer withdrawal should such a thing come to pass. And that hasn't changed. While such COULD cause the first reduction in attendance/viewership/sponsorship, it alone would not necessarily be able to kill off the series.

FE isn't doomed, they're not even "in trouble" at this stage. Not by any stretch.

Comment

Aesthetics has been a constant complaint from Indycar fans for 10 years.

Comment

Personally I think the design of the new car is awesome. I'm not a big Formula E fan- the tracks and gimmicks don't really do it for me. But I will say that Formula E is a radical, outside of the box series, so a design like this is appropriate. It reminds me of a spaceship, or the futuristic racecraft from the old Wipeout videogames. Now, obviously if this the new IndyCar or F1 or something like that, then it would be awful. But for FE, I think it fits.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRiculture View Post

It's still interesting. The evolution of the cars is like IndyCar and F1 50-60 years ago.
          The first generation topped out at 145 mph and lasted for half the race. (drivers changed cars)
          The second generation tops out at 175 mph, and lasts the whole 45 minute race.
          The third generation will go 200 mph. They haven't released how long the cars will go, but they will have recharging.
          The big minus is that they race on street circuits. But the racing isn't that much different than other open wheel street racing.
          its pretty gimmicky, although I think their team liveries and branding is cool. Wish they would fold so Indycar can get some more driver talent tho.

Comment

Car seen on track for the first time:

Definitely the ugliest single seater in 20 years at minimum, but would probably look halfway decent if it had wider tires that stick out noticeably from the bodywork. Seriously, the biggest thing that looks wrong with it is how skinny it looks.

Comment

"It looks like a tent."

What my kid said when she walked in to me watching Goodwood highlights yesterday. This is up there with the original A1GP car in terms of looking like it was designed by a child.
              “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
                This is up there with the original A1GP car in terms of looking like it was designed by a child.
                Cannot agree. The original A1GP car may have been designed more for style than substance, but it at least looked like a proper single-seater(a fact underlined by it's AutoGP incarnation). This look like someone was convinced the best possible shape for a racecar was an arrowhead and refused to listen to anyone who brought up the problems with the notion.

Comment

I think the criticism is hilarious given how much it looks like a Caterham 7 or GBS to my eyes. It's a very retro-looking futuristic thing.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualBalboa View Post
                    I think the criticism is hilarious given how much it looks like a Caterham 7 or GBS to my eyes. It's a very retro-looking futuristic thing.
                    I'm guessing it has just about as bad of aero efficiency. Put an enclosed cockpit over it and put it in outer space and it would fit right in as a Star Wars type fighter.

Did anyone else see the McMurtry Speirling fan car at Goodwood. OMG, if they can make formula E go like that, it won't be boring.

Last edited by BADGER; 06-28-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER View Post

Did anyone else see the McMurtry Speirling fan car at Goodwood. OMG, if they can make formula E go like that, it won't be boring.
                      That thing was pretty impressive. The Goodwood Hill Climb is pretty short, I have to wonder how long it could keep that up?
                      Also answers what Max Chilton is up to these days...

Comment

FE cars have been pretty odd looking since the beginning and not sure why other than to look different from other Formula cars.

An ugly car that wins because it is faster is a beautiful one. These cars are styled vs. the design has much performance function.
                        And don't forget the heat!

Comment

This is the rendering they showed in 2020. I guess things have 'evolved' a bit since then.

20200201160705gen2evocam916x9.jpg

https://racer.com/2020/02/04/formula...-evo-revealed/

Comment

https://twitter.com/F1Sarcasm/status...SgttB4lW3Th3nQ
                            Center Grove Trojans
                            2008 5A Football State Champs
                            2015 6A Football State Champs
                            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Openracer View Post
                              FE cars have been pretty odd looking since the beginning and not sure why other than to look different from other Formula cars.

An ugly car that wins because it is faster is a beautiful one. These cars are styled vs. the design has much performance function.
                              It's worth noting that the Gen2 were not as style over substance as is often thought. The FE Gen 2 is an incredibly low-drag machine, and many of it's "stylistic" bits do more to reduce drag than is often assumed. The only piece of that car I can't see any kind of true aerodynamic purpose to was the angles of the inward rear winglet mounts.

The new car, however, looks like an arrowhead. Such a base concept seems like it should be very sound, but that's not actually as good for this purpose as it may seem - especially with fully exposed front wheels in the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by 45 Below View Post
                                This is the rendering they showed in 2020. I guess things have 'evolved' a bit since then.

20200201160705gen2evocam916x9.jpg

https://racer.com/2020/02/04/formula...-evo-revealed/
                                This rendering looks like the gen 2 car with minor changes. The gen 3 gets uglier every time I look at it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X