Yo..... AXE...... Whadda you been drink'in?????/

That's a telephone pole with wheels!
    ZOOOM
    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

Hey!!

Now you're in my generation!

That's the Eagle Aircraft Flyer. It appeared in 1982 but didn't qualify. It was Chevy powered and was driven by.....

hmmmm.......

Hamilton???
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Davy's Dad

Comment

Originally posted by j.d.c
          Davy's Dad

Now that's a connection I never made...

Center Grove Trojans
          2008 5A Football State Champs
          2015 6A Football State Champs
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Heh, the Crop Duster.
            "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Originally posted by ensign14
              Heh, the Crop Duster.
              That explains so much-late one night at the airport, an AgCat got lonesome and saw that cute Antares race car sittin' all alone...
              "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

For a second I thought it was a 'two seater.'

Comment

In the old days, cars that raced in the Indy 500 were of a "stretch" version. The car was actually longer than cars that ran the regular circuit. Today, do they have a "stretch" version at Indy? The added length was between the driver and the engine. Used to be about a foot.

Comment

Hey Novi, I think it went somethin like this:

Sprint cars became "big" cars... longer wheelbase, bigger tank on the back.
                    Big cars became rodesters... lower but still had big tanks in the back.
                    Rear engine cars, side tanks, short wheelbase.
                    Dave McDonald had his crash... rear engined cars moved the tanks to behind the driver (still short wheelbase) driver's feet in front of the front wheels.
                    Rash of broken and splintered legs... Driver moved behind front wheels, wheel base became VERY long. That's where we are today...........
                    ZOOOM
                    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
                    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

You know, I always wondered if any "mainstream" designers actually considered the notion--used here, I think--of ground effects venturis around the wheels. Obviously it didn't work too well on the Flyer, but it's an interesting concept, to put the downforce as close to the area of the contact patch as possible. Practical? Maybe not. Possible? Well, obviously somebody thought of it...

By the way, the Flyer's actual name was the DW2, which leads one to believe there was a DW1. Hmmm. Also, as with any other odd homebuilt Indy Car (Antares, Curtis, Cicada, Swingler, etc) I wonder where it went afterward and if it's actually still in existence.
                      You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode
                        Also, as with any other odd homebuilt Indy Car (Antares, Curtis, Cicada, Swingler, etc) I wonder where it went afterward and if it's actually still in existence.
                        Didn't Davey's dad obtain it (and still owns it)?

Comment

Originally posted by Zooom
                          Hey Novi, I think it went somethin like this:

Sprint cars became "big" cars... longer wheelbase, bigger tank on the back.
                          Big cars became rodesters... lower but still had big tanks in the back.
                          Rear engine cars, side tanks, short wheelbase.
                          Dave McDonald had his crash... rear engined cars moved the tanks to behind the driver (still short wheelbase) driver's feet in front of the front wheels.
                          Rash of broken and splintered legs... Driver moved behind front wheels, wheel base became VERY long. That's where we are today...........
                          ZOOOM
                          Bit of a correction:

The drivers wound up so far forward in an effort to get more of the mass of the car in the middle of the wheelbase. The major masses of an Indy car (or any open wheel race car) are the engine, the fuel tank, the transmission and diff and the driver. A car responds quicker in left-right transitions when the Polar Moment of Inertia is reduced. The Polar Moment is a function of the amount of mass and its placement with respect to the Center of Gravity. We're mostly stuck with the location of the transmission and differential. If the engine and fuel tank are moved further forward (to reduce the Polar Moment), the result is that the driver's feet wound up beyond the front axle center line. This is also very clear in the design of the Porsche 956. In that case, created when the rules changed to make the car safer, they did lengthen the wheelbase to get the axle center line ahed of the driver's feet. Thus the 962 was created.

Comment

One of the most interesting events at Indy involving a wheelbase was the 1961 Cooper. That car had a wheelbase that was too short according the rules but the team got permission to keep it at is was.
                            It created an uproar among a number of drivers who felt that the good cornering behaviour (agility) of the Cooper was due to its shorter wheelbase. Some drivers even grumbled that the waiver on the Cooper was unfair and should be general for everyone so they could enter and use their short wheel based sprintcars too.

So far for accepting roadster superiority under every circumstance?
                            Oh the innocence of engineers and drivers in that time....

As for Hamilton's DW2, I really don't want tho think about what would have been left of him had he had a crash like Gordon Smiley had that year. But then was that DW2 ever fast enough to reach qualifying speeds to begin with even if sorted out properly?
                            That airbox reminds me about the high teapot of the 1975 Ligier-Matra F1 car...

Indyot
                            Last edited by Indyot; 11-24-2005, 01:29 AM. Reason: language correction

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X