Time to play... "Name that Speedway!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to play... "Name that Speedway!"

This picture was taken February 22, 1955. Speedway is unkown.

Drivers are: Frank Gilbert 6, Johnny Garrett 18, Sam Hanks 3

Same track, driver Henry Banks:
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Gardena Stadium, maybe?

Comment

Either Gilmore or Gardena, I'll go with Gardena.
      Because I dont think they ran sprints at Gilmore?

aXe
      Born Again Race Fan seen at
      www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

Looking at those cars in the first picture, I would say the date is wrong. Looks more like a 1947ish date fits.

I think Henry Banks had retired before 1955 as well, like 1952.

What do the rest of you think?
        "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
        body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
        "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
        >

Comment

Is Gardena the same as Carrell Speedway?

http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/covcs0149.htm
          "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
          -John Morley

Comment

Click on the picture in the middle of the top row, Look at the grandstands and the towers (with three tiers of cables) in the background.

My guess is Carrell Speedway.

http://www.stockcarreunion.com/pages/760928/
            -John Morley

Comment

Originally posted by JBaiza
              Click on the picture in the middle of the top row, Look at the grandstands and the towers (with three tiers of cables) in the background.

My guess is Carrell Speedway.

http://www.stockcarreunion.com/pages/760928/
              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Henry Banks retired in 1954 after not qualifying for the Indy 500. So the midget picture is before 1955. The sprint cars are all old rail frame cars, more in period for immediately after WWII, most likely before, because Sam Hanks was a top shoe and I don't think he would have been in such antiquated equipment in 1955.

I think the evidence of the track location provided is correct.
                "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                >

Comment

I think JBaiza hit it on the head with Carroll Speedway.
                  Dwight Clock

Comment

Originally posted by JBaiza
                    Is Gardena the same as Carrell Speedway?
                    I've always been confused on that as well. Both Gardena and Carrell were in Gardena, California which is where Ascot Park was located as well. I've always assumed they were all on or near the same spot at different times. Is there an old timer that can clear this up?

Comment

Originally posted by 3-wide
                      I've always been confused on that as well. Both Gardena and Carrell were in Gardena, California which is where Ascot Park was located as well. I've always assumed they were all on or near the same spot at different times. Is there an old timer that can clear this up?
                      The difference between "Gardena" and "Carrell", I don't know the answer.

I can tell you this:

J.C Agajanian's Ascot, the last one in Gardena, was located on S. Vermont Ave. 1/3 of a mile north of the 405 overpass, it was directly across the street from a cemetary. The property was loosely bounded on the north by W. 182nd St., the south by W. 186th St., the east by a canal and the west by S. Vermont.

If you have Google Earth you can see the former site at coordinates 33-51-53 N., 118-17-21 W.

Now, I was taken on a tour of Gardena (no doubt on a rainy day at Ascot) as a child, I was told that Carrell Speedway was just to the NW of J.C Agajanian's Ascot. As I look at the the photos on Google Earth, I would say that I was shown an area bounded on the north by W. 177th St., the east by S. Vermont, the west by Budlong Ave. and the south by W. 182nd St. and is currently housing tract. The towers lie between W. 177th St. and a canal which runs E-W at that point. Those coords are 33-52-07 N., 118-17-33 W.
                      -John Morley

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X