To tide us over thru winter: Sights and sounds of speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To tide us over thru winter: Sights and sounds of speed

It's gonna be a long winter before racing starts anew. Figured I'd start a thread full of my favorite links to video and sounds of sweet machinery-a little something for my fellow speed freaks to get you through the snowy days!

BRM H-16 high-speed pass

Push-starting the BRM

BRM H-16 In-car

Video: Lap of Le Mans in a GT40, 1969

Video: A lap of the Nurburgring Nordschlife in a BMW M3 with Hans Stuck

Ferrari 412T1-B F1

VIDEO: From the fences at the Reno National Championship Air Races-YEAH BABY!!!!!!

R3350-equipped F8F Bearcat RARE BEAR at Reno

Unlimiteds at Reno from Pylon 1

Rutan-designed, one-off Pond Racer Unlimited air racer at Reno, powered by 2 Electramotive Nissan IMSA GTP engines

Gee Bee (1930s air racer) replica-Pratt & Whitney R985

"Rendezvous"-the perrenial car-nut fave: a blast through the streets of Paris in a Ferrari

And finally....REAL high performance: Apollo 11 Saturn V liftoff-up CLOSE.

Feel free to add your own! Anybody got sounds of the turbine cars (if there are any)? Novis, Offys, big-block NASCAR stockers, CAN-AM-Let's see/hear it, y'all!
    Last edited by Sea Fury; 11-21-2005, 04:42 AM.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

www.nvbackflow.com

on the left, click on Ken's miniature engines, then on video.
    ...---...

Comment

http://www.milleroffy.com/Photo%20&%...%20Gallery.htm

There is always this site. Click to "Sounds".

Comment

Sounds are good, but I can just walk through my living room and relive a thousand memories with every glance at any of the four walls.

There is nothing like a photograph to bring back the time, the place and the person, and if you will sit for just a few minutes, even the conversation connected with the photo.

In fact usually the meory the photo brings to mind will include a lot of memories from the particular paerson, place and time in the photo.

My liiving room is very good place to spend time when the Winter evenings get too long.
        Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Ralstin

My liiving room is very good place to spend time when the Winter evenings get too long.

Party at Dick's house!!

How's Friday night?
          ...---...

Comment

I like it!! I'll bet there would be some great arm chair racing going on!! One of my favorite happenings!!
            RacerRich

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa
              http://www.milleroffy.com/Photo%20&%...%20Gallery.htm

There is always this site. Click to "Sounds".
              My faves from that page: The Offy startup

The Novi (assuming that's what it is-there's been some debate about that on here before).

Keepin' the thread going. Anybody else have a cool racing video or sound to share?

Comment

It is a Novi. The sound is the same on a phonograph record I have. It is the practice and four laps of qualifying of Bobby Unser in the Novi. Too bad a complete section of this isn't on the internet. You hear Tom Carnegie talking about Bobby in the car. Seems like he was a rookie at the time. Since you hear the complete laps, you hear the engine winding up on the backstretch.

The record, is just called, "Indianapolis 500." It is Fleetwood, FLP4007S. It is in stereo. Year 1963.

Comment

It is a Novi. The sound is the same on a phonograph record I have. It is the practice and four laps of qualifying of Bobby Unser in the Novi. Too bad a complete section of this isn't on the internet. You hear Tom Carnegie talking about Bobby in the car. Seems like he was a rookie at the time. Since you hear the complete laps, you hear the engine winding up on the backstretch.

The record, is just called, "Indianapolis 500." It is Fleetwood, FLP4007S. It is in stereo. Year 1963.
                  Thanks. All I know is, it sounds good. BTW what was it that gave the Novi that distinctive sound? High revs, flat crank, what?

Comment

Combination of things make up the mystic of the Novi. First, all the other cars ran Offys. Which was a deep roar. The uniqueness of a V-8 that was supercharged and had a higher pitch made for wanting to hear it. That supercharger high winding sound added to the V-8 noise.

Something similar was the Pontiacs of the early 60s. I also have a recording of the Charlotte race about that time. The Pontiacs had a far deeper roar than any other make. At the track, closing your eyes, you knew when a Pontiac went by.

Something missing today in stock car racing is that the exhaust exits on one side. You hear all 8 cylinders. In the old days, exhaust from each bank exited on that side of the car. So, in the stands, basically, you heard a 4 cylinder engine. And that would be from a 425-428 ci engine.

Comment

Combination of things make up the mystic of the Novi. First, all the other cars ran Offys. Which was a deep roar. The uniqueness of a V-8 that was supercharged and had a higher pitch made for wanting to hear it. That supercharger high winding sound added to the V-8 noise.

Something similar was the Pontiacs of the early 60s. I also have a recording of the Charlotte race about that time. The Pontiacs had a far deeper roar than any other make. At the track, closing your eyes, you knew when a Pontiac went by.

Something missing today in stock car racing is that the exhaust exits on one side. You hear all 8 cylinders. In the old days, exhaust from each bank exited on that side of the car. So, in the stands, basically, you heard a 4 cylinder engine. And that would be from a 425-428 ci engine.
                      Love to hear that here if you've got it in a sound file!

I know what you mean. I was REALLY little when NASCAR started phasing out the big blocks, but you're right about the modern higher-pitched sound. I think it was the Morgan McClure team, the #4 that took Sterling Marlin to back-to-back Daytona wins, that first started running their exhaust like that, with the x-pipe and then both exits on the same side. The bellow of the stock cars, even with the small blocks, was a lot deeper up to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury
                        Feel free to add your own! Anybody got sounds of the turbine cars (if there are any)? Novis, Offys, big-block NASCAR stockers, CAN-AM-Let's see/hear it, y'all!
                        Last year at Michigan during the vintage cars I thought, "Man, I wish I had a microphone and a recorder." Then it dawned on me that I had my minidisc player with me and with a little help from our audio person - viola!

Here is a minute 51 secs of lots of different Indy cars (including the turbine - I even say "Here comes the turbine" or you might never know) recorded last year on the morning of the Michigan 400.

Indy car sounds

Enjoy!

-Calhoun

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun
                          Last year at Michigan during the vintage cars I thought, "Man, I wish I had a microphone and a recorder." Then it dawned on me that I had my minidisc player with me and with a little help from our audio person - viola!

Here is a minute 51 secs of lots of different Indy cars (including the turbine - I even say "Here comes the turbine" or you might never know) recorded last year on the morning of the Michigan 400.

Indy car sounds

Enjoy!

-Calhoun
                          Thanks!

So it's just that little metallic turbine hiss, eh? Interesting. (I take it this was a Lotus 56 "wedge"?) I don't know what I expected them to sound like. maybe a bit more like the metallic shriek I hear from idling turbines at the airport....guess not. I keep forgetting these were basically just little PT6s and not the big ones the commuter airliners have with thousands of HP....You know what, it sounds more like the car from "Knight Rider."

Anybody got a recording of the turbines just by themselves? Starting up, qualifying pass, etc? How about the 917 Panzers, or some old-school big-blocks-from-hell CAN AM?

Comment

here is a site with different video clips. One shows that CART race where the car spins out, and another climbs on top of it.

http://www.funs.co.uk/clips/

Comment

A field of historic CAN AM cars idling-CRANK IT.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X