Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me what you can about these...

My first ever NOSTALGIA POST:

Here are two cards that my Mother-in-Law gave me last week...

- - -

Can anyone give me an age for them? Or any other background? They are in pretty good shape, as you can see.
    Camp and Brew Did Not Make Indianapolis
    It's Indianapolis that made Camp and Brew what it is.

The HRM card (great photo!) has Bobby U winning the Sports Car Class in the Arciero Bros. Lotus 19 at the 1964 hillclimb.

The Gulf pit crew pass could be from 1961. There was an SCCA Regional scheduled for August 12-13, that year. Airport circuit, only used for a few years.
    Circa 1959 to '65.

Comment

The HRM card was part of a promotion done by HRM in 1966, and that specific card was issued in January of that year. The cards were issued one per month for the year 1966. Don't know if they continued after that year. Each card represented a different type of motorsports... Bonneville, Hot Rods, Stock Cars, Indy Cars, etc.

Comment

Here is a picture from Pikes Peak....

Bobby Unser in 1964 in his Lotus 23. He not only won the race that year but set a division record that still stands with his time of 13:19.1. He was so quick that day that he would have placed 4th even in the fastest division-the Open Wheels.

The number on the car is the same. Hope that helps ....ecat.

Comment

The Spec Sheet, printed on the back of the picture has the subscription address for Hot Rod Magazine. The address does not include a zip code. Zip codes went into effect on 1 July 1963.
          "There is no substitute for victory." - General Douglas MacArthur

"I love long walks; especially when taken by those who annoy me."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/impact

Comment

Originally posted by impact
            The Spec Sheet, printed on the back of the picture has the subscription address for Hot Rod Magazine. The address does not include a zip code. Zip codes went into effect on 1 July 1963.
            Now...this is a stretch but might make sense. Many times "shells" are printed with certain info on the printed piece with room to run additional copy on the card. There is certainly quite a bit of room under the Unser info and after looking into the Hot Rod Magazine Sponsership at Pikes Peak, well there are a few drivers that ran earlier than 1963 with the Hot Rod sponsorship. Could Hot Rod have created "shells" with certain printed info and possibly were these printed "shells" used before zip codes were required on printed pieces (per Impact after July 1963?)

Again, this might be a stretch...but certainly makes some sense!? Here are a couple of the Hot Rod Magazine sponsored cars before 1963.

Impact...thoughts???

Ak Miller in his Devin-Chevrolet 1958. Ak won the sports car division that year with a time of 15:23.7.

Jerry Unser Jr posing with his Ford in 1958. Unser would qualify 1st but he would wreck during the race.

Comment

Impact, that was a good thought. Zip did start in 1963, but it wasn't mandatory.

Comment

Thanks ! That's all interesting stuff!
                Camp and Brew Did Not Make Indianapolis
                It's Indianapolis that made Camp and Brew what it is.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X