Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CART's fantasy schedules

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CART's fantasy schedules

    I always find it amusing to watch the old CART races and the schedules that are announced. A lot of them contained things that never happened. For example in the 1988 races they announced that the 1989 season was going to start in Japan (no mention of which track, and I can't find that info with google searches). Also during the Laguna Seca race, Bob Jenkins mentioned that CART had circulated a draft 1989 schedule that included both Japan and Vancouver, but he also mentioned that Vancouver was definitely off for 1989

    During the 1991 Nazareth broadcast they announced a 1992 schedule that included both Denver AND "New York area", but the published schedule omitted Cleveland, which had just signed a new deal with the FAA and the city a couple of weeks prior.

    Of course during the split era there were all sorts of races announced that never happened, such as the 2001 schedule including Rio among the 22 races, and there was the South Korea thing that never came to pass.

    I am sure there were others, but these are ones that just jumped out at me

  • #2
    The Star reported in November 1988 that the venue was going to be Fuji. The event was cancelled before any serious plans had been ironed out.

    The "New York area" race of ca. 1992-1993 was to be the Marlboro Grand Grand Prix of New York. Around a short street course around the World Trade Center in Manhattan. It was going to replace the [awful] race at the Meadowlands. It did get to the planning stages, but was first delayed, then cancelled due to out of control costs. And supposedly Mayor Dinkins anti-tobacco initiative...which clashed with title sponsor Phillip Morris.

    The 1980 initial USAC Indy car calendar might be the most interesting of the "never-was". Talladega, Mosport, Charlotte Motor Speedway, and Road Atlanta all were added. And all were scrapped when USAC and CART decided to form the CRL (which didn't last long).
    Doctorindy.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Hello

      It's always hard to choose the best circuits for the "ideal season", and I may confess that being from Europe, I have a slight bias toward street and road circuits. However, I think it's possible to have a balanced calendar. The calendar I propose has 22 races, the maximum CART/IndyCars in the post-1979 had, and the ideal number not to overstretch the logistics and the finances of the teams. Also, I chose some races outside North America because IndyCars need new markets, but I didn't include any race in Europe because I think it would be better to focus on the internal market first. Thus this schedule considers the circuits I love and the commercial side because it's impossible not to look for them.
      Here are the chosen venues:

      1. Fontana 500 (oval)
      2. Cleveland (road)
      3. Detroit - Belle isle (street)
      4. Indy 500 (oval)
      5. Laguna Seca (road)
      6. Long Beach (street)
      7. Michigan 500 (oval)
      8. Mid-Ohio (road)
      9. Milwaukee (oval)
      10. Monterrey (road) - Mexico
      11. Portland (road)
      12. Road America (road)
      13. St.Petersburg (street)
      14. Surfers' Paradise (street) - Australia
      15. Toronto (street) - Canada
      16. Motegi (oval) - Japan
      17. Nashville (street)
      18. Watkins Glen (road)
      19. Barber Park (road)
      20. COTA (road)
      21. Indianapolis (road)
      22. Iowa (oval)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
        The Star reported in November 1988 that the venue was going to be Fuji. The event was cancelled before any serious plans had been ironed out.

        The "New York area" race of ca. 1992-1993 was to be the Marlboro Grand Grand Prix of New York. Around a short street course around the World Trade Center in Manhattan. It was going to replace the [awful] race at the Meadowlands. It did get to the planning stages, but was first delayed, then cancelled due to out of control costs. And supposedly Mayor Dinkins anti-tobacco initiative...which clashed with title sponsor Phillip Morris.

        The 1980 initial USAC Indy car calendar might be the most interesting of the "never-was". Talladega, Mosport, Charlotte Motor Speedway, and Road Atlanta all were added. And all were scrapped when USAC and CART decided to form the CRL (which didn't last long).
        I knew about the New York thing that never happened. Fascinating that they wanted to go to Fuji, I did some more digging and the FIA were threatening to ban any Indycar drivers from racing in F1 if they raced at a CART race outside of North America. A lot of politics and sabre rattling between CART, Bernie, and Balestre

        Comment


        • #5
          Here is another one, this time for 1982
          https://www.newspapers.com/image/106...Z7wG5B997alS9M

          It includes Mid Ohio (which didn't return until 1983), Mexico City (CART raced there in 1981) and, most surprisingly, Las Vegas as a doubleheader with Formula One. What is even more weird is that Robin has the F1/CART doubleheader scheduled for October 17th when in reality the 1982 Caesar's Palace Grand Prix took place on September 26, 1982 (the same date as CART's Michigan II race)

          Also, Jerry Sneva and John Mahler planned to run a team in 1982 with an Eagle-Cosworth package on ovals and Penske PC-7- Chevy package on road courses. This did not happen

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post
            Also, Jerry Sneva and John Mahler planned to run a team in 1982 with an Eagle-Cosworth package on ovals and Penske PC-7- Chevy package on road courses. This did not happen
            I wonder if the "PC-7 Chevy" was actually to be what was Mahler's 1981 Penske PC-6/Offy, which was updated with ground effects side pods...and maybe "Jerry" Sneva was actually Jan, who did run the aforementioned Mahler car in 82.
            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

            Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post
              Here is another one, this time for 1982
              https://www.newspapers.com/image/106...Z7wG5B997alS9M

              It includes Mid Ohio (which didn't return until 1983) ...
              The published claim that CART was on tap to race at Mid-Ohio in 1982 should be viewed as nothing more than an evidence-free flight of fancy. It's a lazy example of access journalism masquerading as prescient column writing, stringing together wisps of coincidence and positing those wisps as illustrative of a greater truth.

              Things need to be examined in context: How Trueman came to acquire Mid-Ohio, when the board approved the sale, what kind of race Trueman and a Mid-Ohio delegation chased that following January. Also factor in Trueman's insecurities, hatreds and jealousies, and how the Truesports CART team came into existence.

              It's accurate to view Trueman's tenure as Mid-Ohio boss as shambolic and costly, as employees, friends and others related as well as memorialized in contemporaneous writings and legal documents. His first chaotic year set the stage for more calamities to come. Trueman's narcissism brought Mid-Ohio to the brink of having no races 1982, not the addition of a CART race. It also brought legal trouble to Mid-Ohio and to the Trueman family. While CART did race at Mid-Ohio beginning in 1983, that event was booked for the same reason Mid-Ohio scheduled a USAC race in 1980.
              Last edited by editor; 08-19-2022, 10:21 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I know you have posted about Jim Trueman's character in the past and the article I linked is from November of 1981, Which (unless I am very much mistaken) was before Jim Trueman had bought Mid Ohio., so I suspect that if CART did intend to race there in 1982 it sounds as though Trueman getting involved in Mid-Ohio scuppered any chances of that happening. Plus Robin Miller seemed to be reporting on what CART had published so I think that if anything the blame is on CART's PR department and not Robin for announcing Mid-Ohio for 1982. Either way it just shows how often CART would announce races and publish schedules that were quite different from what actually happened
                Last edited by senorsoupe; 08-19-2022, 12:28 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post
                  I know you have posted about Jim Trueman's character in the past and the article I linked is from November of 1981, Which (unless I am very much mistaken) was before Jim Trueman had bought Mid Ohio., so I suspect that if CART did intend to race there in 1982 it sounds as though Trueman getting involved in Mid-Ohio scuppered any chances of that happening. Plus Robin Miller seemed to be reporting on what CART had published so I think that if anything the blame is on CART's PR department and not Robin for announcing Mid-Ohio for 1982. Either way it just shows how often CART would announce races and publish schedules that were quite different from what actually happened [sic]
                  You were very much mistaken.

                  The sale of Mid-Ohio had been approved by November of 1981. Jim Trueman had taken control of the facility, delivered his "Mid-Ohio didn't exist until today" speech to its employees and ordered the immediate, willful destruction of irreplaceable Mid-Ohio history and employees' private property.

                  Even if Robin Miller did what you credulously assume he did, perhaps the most charitable thing that could be said about the column was that it was churnalism, a disreputable practice.

                  Even if CART's PR shop did what you credulously assume it did, so what? That was its job. You seem to possess the mistaken belief that PR communications exist to inform. They do not.

                  We were on the same press release distribution lists as Miller. We never got anything from CART to support what you apparently believe. Contemporaneous accounts authored by Mid-Ohio staff do not support your allegations.



                  Last edited by editor; 08-20-2022, 03:23 PM.

                  Comment

                  Unconfigured Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X