Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andy Granatelli's final year as an owner at the 500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Granatelli's final year as an owner at the 500?

Was it 1972 when he entered a Lola for Art Pollard/Wally Dallenbach? Or was it 1973 with partial ownership of Graham McRae's car? He had a car at Texas to start the 1973 season, but appears to have shifted from being an owner to being a sponsor around Indy, with the STP money going to Patrick. I believe Bignotti wrenched Johncock and Savage's cars, while Vince Granatelli worked on McRae's entry. Does anyone have the story on how that all went down?
    Last edited by Pelican Joe; 07-30-2022, 02:32 PM.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Ownership has always been tricky if you're wondering who actually owned the equipment vs. who the listed entrant was for the cars. I've always gone by entrant since that is who the sanctioning body or track usually writes the check to. And I believe on some entry lists of the late 60's-early 70's STP corporation was listed as the entrant.

As I recall, Andy was getting somewhat disenchanted with championship racing after the turbine and the lawsuits, and I remember at some point lamenting the costs (believe it or not). I also believe that some of the higher ups/board members were concerned over the amounts spent on automobile racing, especially with sales lagging. As I recall Andy stepped away from being a sole entrant after 1972, and in 73 sponsored the Patrick team. I don't believe he owned any of the cars, even if he was listed as a co-owner or co entrant. I believe it was all Patrick equipment. Remember that SP was also involved in NASCAR at the time with Richard Petty.

Andy was out at STP by the end of 1974. He was the best pitchman Studebaker-STP ever had, especially with an army of kids putting STP stickers on everything.
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post
      Ownership has always been tricky if you're wondering who actually owned the equipment vs. who the listed entrant was for the cars. I've always gone by entrant since that is who the sanctioning body or track usually writes the check to. And I believe on some entry lists of the late 60's-early 70's STP corporation was listed as the entrant.

As I recall, Andy was getting somewhat disenchanted with championship racing after the turbine and the lawsuits, and I remember at some point lamenting the costs (believe it or not). I also believe that some of the higher ups/board members were concerned over the amounts spent on automobile racing, especially with sales lagging. As I recall Andy stepped away from being a sole entrant after 1972, and in 73 sponsored the Patrick team. I don't believe he owned any of the cars, even if he was listed as a co-owner or co entrant. I believe it was all Patrick equipment. Remember that SP was also involved in NASCAR at the time with Richard Petty.

Andy was out at STP by the end of 1974. He was the best pitchman Studebaker-STP ever had, especially with an army of kids putting STP stickers on everything.
      Thanks for the insight. I believe he did enter a Lola in 1973 for McRae, but no attempt was made and at some point he transferred his efforts (money) to sponsoring the Patrick cars. Part of the deal must/might have been for McRae to be taken on by Patrick, with Vince retaining chief mechanic duties. I'm guessing that STP's departure from Patrick following the 1974 season had something to do with Andy being out.
      Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Myself being one of those kids
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Sadly it became free advertising for Stone Temple Pilots 20 years later....
          "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post

Myself being one of those kids
            Me too. Only kid in school who plastered his Peanuts lunchbox with an STP sticker.
            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Me too. Only kid in school who plastered his Peanuts lunchbox with an STP sticker.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X