No announcement yet.

1999 500--what could've gotten Robby Gordon to the finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion has always been that a lap of yellow would have gotten Gordon to the end but it wouldn’t have mattered because without more fuel he couldn’t go any faster and Kenny was going to pass him regardless.
    Fan of a small Club Series bankrolled by rich men

Comment

Originally posted by RHR Fan Always View Post

was that the year the famous weatherman said there was no shot the race would get run that day?
      Bill Meck, WTHR (1998)

"I don't see a chance for a full race Sunday. Chances are about as high as winning the Powerball -- one in 80 million."

Aside from that, race day 1999 was really good weather most of the morning and afternoon. It was a fresh experience after rain on race day (or at least on race morning) in 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995...four years straight.

Tom Carnegie got on the PA that morning for his "Good morning race fans" spiel. He looked at the weather and was so pleased, especially after suffering through numerous years of rain, rain, rain. He attributed it to it being the traditional date for the race....He said something to the effect of, "It's May 30...the day God intended this race to be on".

Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

Bill Meck, WTHR (1998)

"I don't see a chance for a full race Sunday. Chances are about as high as winning the Powerball -- one in 80 million."

Aside from that, race day 1999 was really good weather most of the morning and afternoon. It was a fresh experience after rain on race day (or at least on race morning) in 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995...four years straight.

Tom Carnegie got on the PA that morning for his "Good morning race fans" spiel. He looked at the weather and was so pleased, especially after suffering through numerous years of rain, rain, rain. He attributed it to it being the traditional date for the race....He said something to the effect of, "It's May 30...the day God intended this race to be on".

Then rain again 2000 & 2001..
        "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post

Then rain again 2000 & 2001..
          I don't want to jinx anything... but we've had really good luck with rain since 2007, I hope it continues.

getting back to the 1999 finish, it's one of the underrated finishes in this great race. What Robby would have needed was probably 2-3 more caution laps, and I'd love to have seen a straight up duel with him and Kenny at the end and no fuel concerns. That'd have been an even better finish.
          RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane
          Ricky Stanzi: "There is nothing better than being an American! This is the greatest feeling, if you don't love it, leave it. USA #1!"
          Ricky Bobby: "We're just a bunch of big, hairy, American winning machines!"

Comment

Originally posted by RHR Fan Always View Post

I don't want to jinx anything... but we've had really good luck with rain since 2007, I hope it continues.

getting back to the 1999 finish, it's one of the underrated finishes in this great race. What Robby would have needed was probably 2-3 more caution laps, and I'd love to have seen a straight up duel with him and Kenny at the end and no fuel concerns. That'd have been an even better finish.
            I also wish Robby was running the original livery he had most of the month.. That car looked amazing
            "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post

I also wish Robby was running the original livery he had most of the month.. That car looked amazing
              What was that, all blue? I still liked that car, and Smoke's yellow/green car.

As for Gordon beating Brack and Ward in a straight fight, I think it could've happened. He was as fast as any leader even when he was a lap down. If he would've made a splash-and-go on the last stop and came out, at worst, third, I'm sure he would've left nothing on the table to win.

I don't think how fast Brack closed in the last few laps is a fair assessment. Robby was on the last of his fumes. He said something about dropping fuel pressure as they came by with 2 laps to go.
              I live my life 4.048 miles at a time.

Comment

It would have been fun to see Robby in a straight fight there. I've tried before to see where he would have come out had he topped off on that last yellow, but never really figured it out. He had a couple good chances go south on him over the years there (95, 97, 99).

Comment

A caution flag would've done the trick. It's a one-off ride there to win the Indy 500, they didn't care about points. Do what you have to do to put yourself in a position to win.

I love me some Robby Gordon. One of my favorites from that late '90s/'00s era of auto racing. His own worst enemy in a lot of ways but in an age of auto racing where everyone does the political nice game in order to get ahead he's one guy that would say "f#ck politics!" A throwback in he raced everything and while not a champion was a race winner everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
                    All of this makes you even more impressed about what Rossi pulled off in 2016 guided by Bryan Herta
                    Honestly, it doesn’t, They won, Rossi drove very well but with Rossi being a rookie, they had little to lose by going for it since they weren’t going for a championship. They had very low chance to win by pitting like other teams, so they didn’t make a great call as much they made the only call that gave them any hope of winning.

Comment

When we started TF, 1999 was just the previous years' race. Now it makes the Nostalgia Forum

Thanks for your participation
                      "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                      ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Privateer View Post
                        A caution flag would've done the trick. It's a one-off ride there to win the Indy 500, they didn't care about points. Do what you have to do to put yourself in a position to win.

I love me some Robby Gordon. One of my favorites from that late '90s/'00s era of auto racing. His own worst enemy in a lot of ways but in an age of auto racing where everyone does the political nice game in order to get ahead he's one guy that would say "f#ck politics!" A throwback in he raced everything and while not a champion was a race winner everywhere.
                        It wasn't "politics.". Robby was just impossible to get along with. He wasn't controversial, he was a pain in the neck.
                        Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER View Post

Honestly, it doesn’t, They won, Rossi drove very well but with Rossi being a rookie, they had little to lose by going for it since they weren’t going for a championship. They had very low chance to win by pitting like other teams, so they didn’t make a great call as much they made the only call that gave them any hope of winning.
                          OK with downplaying Rossi for strategy and other needs to do what his team did if you insist.

It doesn't take away that he did a hell of a job once the strategy choise was made, necessary or not or whatever you want to write about it to downplay his actual driving once in that position.

Comment

As still today we were in turn 3 and when everybody else stopped and Gordon did not, the question was asked and I said, there's no way he can make it. This was one more brick in the yard of, the car that leads with 10 laps to go just doesn't win, although there are exceptions.

it's the classic ABC clip, Robby asking if he was good on fuel and John Menard himself telling him, you are OK on fuel just drive, drive.

Robby had all the natural talent, and to me he was right there with Tim Richmond, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart. He just had the one problem, he couldn't get along. Not with any car owner in any series seemingly not with any crew that he had. Roush, Yates, Childress, Foyt, Menard, Walker, on and on. When he finally started his own teams I think he had to settle for below average help because so many people in the sport had worked where he had been.
                            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                            "They're criminals"
                            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

My wife and I went to practice at Indy to watch (listen) to the new N/A IRL engines. I remember it was cold, thank goodness we had brought winter coats with because the plan was to watch practice and then drive over to Terre Haute for the 100 miler that night. Anyway, I recall being by the pits and a group of females screaming when Robby appeared. Fun days. 1997 maybe?
                              “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

Supposedly at contract time, he told AJ Foyt, "I don't work for you, I work for Michael Kranefuss and Ford!"

I'm sure that went over well.

I was a big fan of his because he was a throwback to those guys like Foyt who could race and win in anything anywhere, but man, nobody in racing was better at kicking his own ass than that guy. He just couldn't get out of his own way.
                                "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X