No announcement yet.

Video: Bobby Unser 1981 appeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If USAC had done their job properly during the race anything done by ABC during the broadcast would have been moot.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Right before the tape-delayed broadcast, the local TV station did a quick news update. The announcer said something to the effect of, "Bobby Unser won today's Indianapolis 500, but there is controversy as Mario Andretti said Unser broke the rules."

That was the first time I heard of a controversy. My 9-year old brain thought, "Mario is being a sore loser." Then the broadcast showed what happened and I thought that was a pretty big deal (aided by ABC commentary).

Long story short - something was percolating between Patrick, Penske and USAC between 3 p.m., and 8 p.m. ABC closed their coverage interviewing Andretti. McKay said they reached out to Bobby Unser and didn't hear back from him - something Unser disputed. He said ABC never called him.

I know I"m asking people to remember things from 41-years ago, but did local Indianapolis radio (WIBC for sure), give any post-race reports in the afternoon and early evening about the controversy?

Comment

Originally posted by MS View Post
        Long story short - something was percolating between Patrick, Penske and USAC between 3 p.m., and 8 p.m. ABC closed their coverage interviewing Andretti. McKay said they reached out to Bobby Unser and didn't hear back from him - something Unser disputed. He said ABC never called him.
        Yes, Robin Miller said that was pure hooey. He said everyone in the garage area knew Uncle Bobby stayed over at the Howard Johnson. Either they were clueless, or they really didn't want to get him on air...focusing instead on the stirring the pot and keeping the controversy hot. The next night (Monday) they devoted ABC News Nightline to the race...they were at the banquet and stirring it up even more.

I know I"m asking people to remember things from 41-years ago, but did local Indianapolis radio (WIBC for sure), give any post-race reports in the afternoon and early evening about the controversy?
        It poured rain hard shortly after the race. I don't know, but most people were probably running around looking for cover. As far as most people were concerned, the race was over...BU won, and they headed home.

In Monday morning's Star, RM wrote that Andretti was considering protesting, but tone of the article does not appear "urgent" yet. Like 'he's going to try to do it, but it probably won't go anywhere'. I don't know what time Sunday night the paper was put to bed...but it was probably around 10 or 11 p.m.? Seemed like they were taking a "wait and see" attitude...let's see what USAC posts officially at 8 a.m. before we turn up the wick on this story.

Not that it's related, but the Star was already in some hot water in May 1981 after RM wrote the infamous Foyt hit piece a couple weeks earlier. I'm not sure they were interested in stirring up the pot like ABC appeared to be in the moment.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X