Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Novi - where are they now?

From the SVRA thread...

This info might be out of date. Who can fill in the gaps?

UPDATED

Chassis 1: 1941 Miller-Ford (privately owned)
    Chassis 2: 1946 Kurtis (Front Drive) (The Brumos Collection, Jacksonville, Florida)
    Chassis 3: 1947 Kurtis (Front Drive) (IMS)
    Chassis 4: 1956 Kurtis 500F (1) (the 1956 Paul Russo car; International Motorsports Hall of Fame in Talladega)
    Chassis 5: 1956 Kurtis 500F (2) (according to Andy Granatelli, this chassis was sold off soon after he purchased the Novi operation)
    Chassis 6: 1962 Kurtis 500K (1) (the 1963 Hurtubise case; IMS)
    Chassis 7: 1962 Kurtis 500K (2) (the 1963 Bobby Unser car; The Unser Racing Museum, New Mexico)
    Chassis 8: Ferguson P104 (City of Novi, Michigan City Hall)
    Chassis 9: Granatelli (per Vince Granatelli, this chassis was cannibalized)

It appears 2 of the 9 chassis no longer exist. I've found a photo of the 1941 Miller-Ford, but not sure if it is currently on display anywhere.
    Last edited by Pelican Joe; 06-22-2022, 10:59 AM.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

I remember the one in the museum..would love to hear it run on the track.
    Attached Files

Comment

I've heard Bobby Unser's 1963 qualification run on YouTube several times, but I understand that the audio isn't representative of the high-pitched scream.

I'd love for someone to get a Novi engine in running form and turn a hot lap around the speedway...even one.

Comment

I've always thought the P104 was a very interesting car, I even had a P104 bodied slot car back in the day. But I really can't find much in depth about it anywhere. Anyone here care to elaborate on it?
        “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

What about the 1966 Greg Weld car?

Comment

One a calm day when the speedway is empty you can almost hear the Novi's roar in the distance.
            "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by MillerOffy View Post
              What about the 1966 Greg Weld car?
              I believe the Weld car was the Granatelli chassis. It was their attempt to better the 4 wheel drive Ferguson.

Comment

2741901354_0202368733_b.jpg

Not my photo so don't anything about when or where, but proof that the 1941 Miller-Ford still exists and it looks like it has a Novi under the hood.

Comment

archivescenter-grantelli-anthony-ac1403-0000033-750-inline-edit.jpg

The Albums is the Ferguson. The Special is the in house "copy" of the Ferguson. Both cars were 4 wheel drive. Bobby Unser wrecked the Granatelli chassis during practice in 1965. It was rebuilt and this was the car Greg Weld tried to qualify in 1966. I saw the Ferguson in Novi, Michigan in Fall 2020. It looked to be in great shape, but I have no idea if it still has a Novi under the hood (I kind of doubt it). According to Vince Granatelli, the Special was cannibalized for parts.

Comment

Brumos46KurtisNovi.jpg

The original 1946 front drive Kurtis Novi appears to be in the Brumos Collection in Jacksonville, Florida. This is the car that Ralph Hepburn and Chet Miller were driving when they had their fatal accidents.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Joe. I know Andy had other projects going on, but given the timing I would have thought they might try to make a r/e copy of the P104 instead just another f/e.
                      “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Comment

I took these back in 2011 when I took a side trip from Barber over to Talladega and the International Motorsports Hall Of Fame.

IMG_9696.jpg

IMG_9695.jpg
                        “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Oddy View Post
                          Thanks for the pictures Joe. I know Andy had other projects going on, but given the timing I would have thought they might try to make a r/e copy of the P104 instead just another f/e.
                          I believe there was talk of creating a rear engine Novi. It's mentioned in the Vol. 2 of George Peters & Henri Greuter's history of the Novi. Can't remember the details, but from what I remember the idea never gained traction because Andy had already moved on to the turbine. In fact, the turbine was supposed to debut in 1966, but the chassis warped during heat treating, pushing the project back a year.

Comment

dsc-0316-largejpg.jpg

It appears that Bobby's Kurtis 500K is in the Unser Museum in New Mexico.

Comment

In the book "Traction for Sale" by Bill Munro and Pat Turner (Book about the history of the Ferguson Company) they suggest that the drive,line that was used in the 1967 STP turbine could have been taken from the Granatelli built 4WD chassis. There has been word out that P104 had donated its driveline to `Silent Sam` but that appears not to be true after all since P104 was eventually restored with at large its original 4WD drive line.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X