A.J. Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.J. Quotes

I haven't been here for a while and a part from the nick names thread this place has been pretty quiet lately.
    How about a thread of A.j. quotes. AJ has said a lot of wild stuff over the years. I think a perfect example was shown at this year's Indy car season ending race in California. AJ commented his grandson's crash:
    "He was blocked by what's his name? The 26 car!'
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone is life" Sid Collins

"That damn Coogan's driving like he's got his head up his ass!"
    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

At the innaugural Brickyard 400 when AJ stepped out of retirement to drive in it.

A track announcer mentioned: ``I know your wife isn't happy about this ... ''

"My girlfriend is, so who cares?'' Foyt said

Comment

My all-time favorite Foyt quotewas that Sunday afternoon in 1965 at the Action Track inTerre Haute when Foyt simply said, "I'll bid five hundred dollars."

He bought his helmet back, which he had donated a few minutes before, in a charity auction for a couple injured race drivers.

He had to have the helmet so he could run the the feature race
        Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

Comment

I had always heard a story about this quote but I don't know if it is true. After AJ had won the Daytona 500 some reporter asked him what was next for him since he now won the Daytona 500 and three Indy 500's. The story goes something like this "now that I have beaten these hillbillies, I guess I will go take on those European f#gs."

Anyone know if this is true. Heck, some of you may have been there.
          kwetcherbetchen

Comment

I don't know if the quote is true, but the message is is. A.J. won at Le Mans.
            A good race driver, given adequate seat time, can drive any well prepared racecar on any track surface or configuration at competitive speeds. Remember, I said a GOOD race driver!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Waiting for May
              I had always heard a story about this quote but I don't know if it is true. After AJ had won the Daytona 500 some reporter asked him what was next for him since he now won the Daytona 500 and three Indy 500's. The story goes something like this "now that I have beaten these hillbillies, I guess I will go take on those European f#gs."

Anyone know if this is true. Heck, some of you may have been there.
              Foyt actually sued Sports Illustrated over that quote. He maintains he never said it, their writer thought otherwise.

SI settled the case out of court.
              Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

What did he say after Kenny Brack's win at Indy? "I'm so wonderful"?
                A book fell on my head, and I only have my shelf to blame.

Comment

not really famous, but...

my favorites are "one of them misfortunate things" and "that's quite true".

i would like to tell a short, boring story about AJ. My favorite athletes growing up were Harmon Killebrew of the Twins, Bart Starr of the Packers, Muhammad Ali and AJ Foyt. I had gotten to meet Killebrew and Starr by the time 1981 had rolled around. I had really wanted to meet AJ but my father had told me if you're in the pits or the garage area, don't bother anyone while they are working. If someone makes eye contact with you and looks accessable, then go ahead and talk to them but otherwise leave them alone. So the first couple of years I had gotten a chance to be in the garage area I never said a word to anyone at all. I just watched and still had a great time.
                  Anyway, I am standing next to AJ's car on the starting grid in 1981 and here he comes. They're just about give the command for everyone but crewmen and drivers to vacate the track, and suddenly I am face to face with AJ and there is nobody talking to him.
                  So I go over and tell him I am a big fan from Iowa and how I can't believe I am standing next to him right before the big race. He sticks out his hand and grabs mine, and says "Thank you, I'm glad you're here". I don't think I said anything back, and he turned and started to talk to one of his crewmen, but it made my year. I guess even at the age of 25, which I was then, or any age, meeting one of your idols can make you act like a little kid. It's not a famous quote but I'll always treasure that moment!!!
                  oh, here is a picture from right before...

http://www.winterink.com/foyt/foyt_001.htm
                  Past photos of the Indianapolis 500
                  http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p861540650

Comment

During the later years of A.J. Foyt's driving career, he was at Indianapolis for Pole Day qualifying. The routine is that after you qualify you go towards the end of pit row, get interviewed by track announcer, then go for official track photos.

So, after A.J. qualified, he went to be interviewed. Track announcer: "How was the car A.J.?" A.J.: "It drove like a tub of s***!"

Comment

Anytime he talks about "that damn Coogan" is a classic.
                      "When people say there's nothing wrong with the product, that all it needs is better marketing and promotion, that's a pretty good clue they don't know they have a product nobody wants," Tommy Kendall, 6/19/04

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddy
                        What did he say after Kenny Brack's win at Indy? "I'm so wonderful"?

Yes he did!

I am so happy Kenny won in 99, most likely Foyt's last trip to victory lane at Indy.

Comment

Originally posted by wes
                          i would like to tell a short, boring story about AJ.
                          Wes- It might have been short, but it wasn't boring at all, it was great! Thanks for sharing that, it's pretty cool.
                          Paul Woods
                          IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

Can not verify the authenticity of this, but - It is a May day in the late 60s. A.J. is standing outside his garage, talking with a friend. He notes a young rookie walking by, squeezing a rubber ball. With a grin to his friend, A.J. walks over to the rookie and asks him why is he squeezing the rubber ball. "To strengthen my wrists", exclaims the novice. At this point, A.J. takes the rubber ball, places it under his own right foot and states, "Son, this is what you have to strengthen."
                            "There is no substitute for victory." - General Douglas MacArthur

"I love long walks; especially when taken by those who annoy me."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/impact

Comment

This one dates back to the sixties at the Old Scaramento mile dirt Fairgrounds track.
                              AJ is driven up tho his waiting stead, He hops out of the car looks at the race car and Yell's "what the FXXX did you do to that Car, Didnt I tell you not to lower it?" :mad: He then proceeds to walk around the car trying to get his foot under it. Then He grabs a wrench or two and starts agjusting the torsion bar arms. I look at him and I thought to Myself, How the heck can he have any idea of the cars weight settings let alone the ride height? The car was after all sitting on a rough dirt and grass surface.
                              Well how wrong could I have been or how lucky could AJ have been.
                              He did take the car out after that and not only set Quick time he also went wire to wire for the win!!!
                              Go figure that one either He is one lucky guy or He sure knew that car just by looking at it!
                              aXe
                              Born Again Race Fan seen at
                              www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X