Looking for Langhorne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Langhorne

I'm spending a few days visiting my girlfriend near Trenton(Lawrenceville), and went to the town of Langhorne for the first time today. Asked a local how to get to where the track was. Found the 'shopping center' easily enough...but wondered just where the track would have been situated.

Did it actually run thru what is now the mall and its parking lot? Or was it mostly all in the "private property" behind the mall which is now heavily overgrown? Roughly, how close was it to Bus. Rte. 1?

And, is there any feature(s) of the track remaining anywhere there that I could have overlooked?

While we were driving the perimeter of the area, I noticed an older gentleman sitting in his car in the parking lot of the Aldi Food store. I thought to myself, "perfect..this guy should remember the place". Sure enough, the friendly 86yr old Langhorne native recalled going there as far back as " '34 or '35, around when I graduated highschool". At one point he mentioned a driver from the area named "MacKenzie"...and I said "Doc?". His eyes lit up and he said, "Yes, that's him!, how did you know that?".

He talked about how he and his friends would go thru a farm to get in to where they could see the races.

He and I really enjoyed our short talk.

As I finally drove away, I couldn't help but to recall what our dear-depart friend, Len Calinoff, once wrote here: "Let's turn things around for a change. Can you name a shopping center you would like torn down and replaced by a race track?"

Eagle

Eagle. the track was on the west side of Route 1 across from the Reed car dealerships which were just to the north of the track, as I remember. On the same side as the speedway was a supermarket immediately north. The last time I passed through there I saw a good deal of overgrowth on the back and on the south end of the track property. A sorry ending for one of America's most spectacular race tracks.
    Dwight Clock

Comment

Hey Eagle Old Buddy,

I suggest you see a good doctor immediately. if you hang around such places as Trenton, Langhorne. Altoona, New Bremen, and a few more tracks that no longer exist you will become infected by the same germs that infect a lot of us here on the Nostaglia Forum.

The disease usually isn't fatal but it makes you very dissatisfied with the mess open wheel racing is in today. You become very short tempered with people and spend a lot of your time living in the past.

You will also find yourself opening a lot of conversations with the phrase, "Why I remember when -----", and then you will notice people begin to roll their eyes and get a disgusted look on their face as they turn away.

Eventually people who were your friends at one time will begin to avoid you and you will find the only friends you have suffer from the same disease you have, and some times you will even argue with them because they don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

If at all possible find a new hobby quickly, maybe you could start going to the movies, I haven't seen a movie since John Wayne died and you know what shape I am in.

Maybe you could take up fishing, or bicycle riding, even sky diving anything to get your mind off of racing for at least three or four years.

I am an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in 20 years, a chainsmoker who hasn't had a cigarette in 16 years but I still have a room full of model die cast race cars and 76 photos of all my old friends from racing on my living room walls that I have to talk to each day just so I'll be half way human to "normal" people I meet during the rest of the day

Give my best to your long lost, but new found Lady Friend, she could be a big help to you in shaking this horrible bug.

Your Friend
      Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

Comment

Dwight, I was under the impression that the track was on the left side of US Rt 1, as I was heading South. If so, the I'd have to say the track was on the EAST side of Rt 1. The car lots were across the street. Ernie Saxton should know. He still lives in Langhorne, I believe

Comment

Littleman, it has been many years. If you are right perhaps I should pay more attention to Dick Ralstins post on this subject than making my own!
          Dwight Clock

Comment

It was on the east side of route 1. There is an ovehead pic on the vintage racer site. Look for the satellite pic's, I think under partially visible tracks.
            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
            body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
            "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
            >

Comment

Yep, that confirms it. Those parties were wilder than I thought!
              Dwight Clock

Comment

And what parties they where? Too bad that the stories can't be told - as the people involved would hunt us down with shotguns.

Comment

Hahaa..hey Ralstin, not a chance I can change now either. I wear that disease as a 'badge of honor', just as you do.

Niceguy, I probly have the vintage site bookmarked at home, but I'm not home. So, could you or someone please provide it? Thanks.

Off now to seach out some Rev War sites in and around Trenton. See you later.

One more thing before I go: if I can setup a 'witness protection' program here, any chance we could hear some of those incriminating party stories?

Comment

Would need more than Witness Protection to tell those stories.

Comment

Here is the link to the Vintage Racer website: http://www.thevintageracer.com/

And for all of those that don'r know it, the annual Stan Lobitz Movie party is coming up very soon - November 13th in Hazleton, Pa! I went last year for the first time. had a blast. And if you go home hungry, it's your own fault! Stan is "The Man".

Comment

Eagle, I will tell you, but only in person.
                        Dwight Clock

Comment

I just called the Kmart store that sits on part of the track. The manager confirmed she knew there was a track back there, gave her my name and number and asked if any of the ee's are race fans to give me a call. Maybe we can have them go out and take some photos at ground level for them. I do some work for Kmart at times so I decided to take a chance. I think she thought I was crazy but yeah, she is right!

This track of course holds some concern to me as it is where Mel had his terrible crash back in 64.

Comment

I used to drive past almost every day for work. I was never there when it was a track, but with the Reedman mega-dealership at your back, the track would be directly across the street. Theres a furniture store & a K-Mart about where there stands and frontstretch were. Or is it a Sams Club now? I cant recall.
                            If you look behind those buildings one can sort of get a general idea of where the rest of the track was by llooking at the big trees that surround the property.. Supposedly theres still parts of the asphalt track visible in spots but I didnt find any on my walks thru there.

If you have time, Flemington Speedway is about 30 minutes North of there. Dont think you can get on the property now though. Not even sure whats left of that track

Also East Windsor Speedway is rotting away just 30 minutes to the East of LAnghorne. It is still intact but its obvious that theres been no racing there since 2002
                            Live like Dave

Comment

Indyjim, Mel's accident was 1965, first year of the paved track.
                              "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                              body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                              "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                              >

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X