SVRA at IMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVRA at IMS

Anybody know how many vintage Indy cars will be at IMS this weekend?

The entry list is on the SVRA website.

Comment

Entry list is here
      https://svra.com/events/2022-indy-speedtour/

It's an SVRA event, but the Indy cars are actually participating as part of the Vintage Indy Registry group.
      There's supposed to be Indy cars on the road course Friday, and oval sessions on Saturday and Sunday.
      Doctorindy.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Does that mean ONLY on the ovals for Saturday and Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
          Entry list is here
          https://svra.com/events/2022-indy-speedtour/

It's an SVRA event, but the Indy cars are actually participating as part of the Vintage Indy Registry group.
          There's supposed to be Indy cars on the road course Friday, and oval sessions on Saturday and Sunday.
          Interesting entry list-a lot of stock cars on the list, unknown how many have a historical significance.

I see some interesting Indy entries, if they do have an actual NOVI it may be worth the admission alone. And I see what appear to be some replica cars as well, I appreciate the passion for those that do it, as long as they don't try to pass it off as the real thing.

Yes, oval time is Sat/sun and limited.
          "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

This is ‘18.
            DedFlrs & I are somewhere in the crowd

“With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
            I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
            I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post
              And I see what appear to be some replica cars as well, I appreciate the passion for those that do it, as long as they don't try to pass it off as the real thing.
              It's a fairly small circle of folks that participate in these events (this weekend is actually an SVRA/Vintage Indy Registry combo weekend). A lot of the same cars will be at Millers at Milwaukee next month. There are a number of replica cars, but from what I know, no one from this little community who runs a replica tries to pass theirs off as a 'real' car. I'm not sure they'd be allowed to participate (might get laughed/chased out of the paddock for being an idiot) if they did. I find this to be a 'smart' community.

Even some of the cars that are 'real' are real in spirit only. Usually have a lot of parts replaced, etc. Some might only confirm basic parts like the frame, etc., being original.
              Doctorindy.com

Comment

Per IMS website, there’s only tickets available for Sat and Sunday. Is Friday a practice day with no public admission? Not liking that. I took a vacation day Friday to do the whole weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post

Interesting entry list-a lot of stock cars on the list, unknown how many have a historical significance.

I see some interesting Indy entries, if they do have an actual NOVI it may be worth the admission alone. And I see what appear to be some replica cars as well, I appreciate the passion for those that do it, as long as they don't try to pass it off as the real thing.

Yes, oval time is Sat/sun and limited.
                  I checked the entry list and then my alarm went off twice

That Novi you mention is in a what is described as a "Roadster" chassis and the year 1956.

I don't want to raise your hopes too high but I remember about a few replica's of the 1956 type Novis being built fitted with Maserati V8 engines. One of those even made it in the Wayne Carlini show "Chasing Classic Cars"

If the car in question would be the one featured in the Youtube clip below, that car doesn't exist in that trim anymore and has been repainted in the 1952 Chet Miller qualifications record trim.
                  It's in the Brumos collection at Jacksonville nowadays. But that is not a 1956 car but a 1946 car.
                  So, hope for a typo in that list and a wrong chassis description!

Comment

Yes, when I saw the 1956 Roadster/NOVI entry I immediately thought of the finned Kurtis 500F chassis that Paul Russo drove to an early lead and subsequently blew a tire and retired in the first turn on lap 21 of the 1956 500 mile race. That was the NOVI Vespa Special number 29 and both Jimmy Davies and Duke Nalon himself tried to qualify the number 31 NOVI Air Conditioning Special, also a Kurtis 500F chassis. It will be very interesting to see what the car that shows up at Indianapolis actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by The JP View Post
                      ..... It will be very interesting to see what the car that shows up at Indianapolis actually is.
                      I believe it's a modern repop with a normally aspirated Maserati V8 engine. Let us know if you find out for sure. It may well be the one that Brock Yates had built some years back.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...ll-in-monterey

Comment

Originally posted by The JP View Post
                        Yes, when I saw the 1956 Roadster/NOVI entry I immediately thought of the finned Kurtis 500F chassis that Paul Russo drove to an early lead and subsequently blew a tire and retired in the first turn on lap 21 of the 1956 500 mile race. That was the NOVI Vespa Special number 29 and both Jimmy Davies and Duke Nalon himself tried to qualify the number 31 NOVI Air Conditioning Special, also a Kurtis 500F chassis. It will be very interesting to see what the car that shows up at Indianapolis actually is.

Roadster & Novi literature learned me there werre two such cars built in 1956.
                        Now one of the was retired and I have seen photos on the internet suggesting it was in the Talladega NASCAR museum, in the shape as it supposedly was driven in 1963 by Art Malone. No engine, not driveable
                        The second car has not surfaced anymore since, say 1964 or thereabout and there is a question mark or two, three about what happened with it.

So if there is truly a 1956 Novi in existance and t9o see at Indy next week, then a long lost treasure is found back.
                        Or the other car is no longer in Talladega anymore and restored in running condition.
                        Anyone been at Talladega lately?????

Seriously, a bit of my money would be on a typo and the 1952 Chet Miller car being present.
                        But most of my money would be on one of these replica's I would call "Novirati"

Comment

According to IMS only two gates will be open and NO seating on the outside. That would be OK if the Indy cars ran the road course too, but not easy to see from the inside on the oval. Looks like only 4 places to view the action and nothing on the front straight. Years past I sat on the outside in penthouse E turn one and watched them underneath me. It was great seeing some of the cars from my childhood.

Comment

It's a fairly small circle of folks that participate in these events (this weekend is actually an SVRA/Vintage Indy Registry combo weekend). A lot of the same cars will be at Millers at Milwaukee next month. There are a number of replica cars, but from what I know, no one from this little community who runs a replica tries to pass theirs off as a 'real' car. I'm not sure they'd be allowed to participate (might get laughed/chased out of the paddock for being an idiot) if they did. I find this to be a 'smart' community.

Even some of the cars that are 'real' are real in spirit only. Usually have a lot of parts replaced, etc. Some might only confirm basic parts like the frame, etc., being original.
                            Plenty of warbirds are like that. Somebody buys a P-51 data plate and maybe a small crate of parts and then basically builds a brand new P-51 airframe around it.
                            "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

That's what I have found too. As far as being 'completely' original, that really doesn't bother me-I understand that there have been accidents, parts wear out and get replaced. My concern is more with those that are built ground up.

IF that NOVI listed is as other suspect, I will be a bit irritated. It shouldn't be listed that way, if it isn't a NOVI.

And I always understood very few of the NOVI engines were ever built, so virtually none of the cars or engines were in circulation after retirement. In fact the discovery and restoration of the Miller NOVI was a very pleasant surprise.
                              "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X