Rex Mays 150 June 1969 TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rex Mays 150 June 1969 TV?

Sid mentions during the 1969 radio broadcast that he and Rodger Ward would be doing TV at Milwaukee the next weekend, right before he interviews Irv Fried about the June Langhorne event. Anyone know much about the Milwaukee telecast? I have a feeling it was a syndicated network deal, rather than one of the Big 3.
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Yep, TVS. I recall watching that. TVS televised races a few races in 1969 and 1970: Milwaukee, Continental Divide and, IIRC, Langhorne.
    "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
      Yep, TVS. I recall watching that. TVS televised races a few races in 1969 and 1970: Milwaukee, Continental Divide and, IIRC, Langhorne.
      Thanks JIm. I wonder how many televised auto races are lost to history, as I doubt there is an existing film.
      "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

From nascarman’s video on YouTube:

Fan of a small Club Series bankrolled by rich men

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          Fan of a small Club Series bankrolled by rich men

Comment

As I mentioned at the time that video dropped, I really enjoyed it, but some of those aren’t “lost” and some don’t exist due to damage.

Comment

Obviously, I should have recalled TVS' later schedule, through 1972, as I definitely remember the Michigan telecasts, but...at the time I posted, I did not I also recalled the Trenton race.
              "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Could you tell me more about TVS? Just out of interest.

Comment

I actually remember watching this broadcast (I lived in Indianapolis at the time. I was unaware if it was shown elsewhere.) There was a big multi-car pile up and it had to be stopped. I don't think I stuck around to see who won, though. Strange I can recall something so specific from when I was 10 years old, but live races on TV were pretty rare in those days, so it gets stuck in ones mind. That's probably why I also remember that year's Canadian GP. They joined the broadcast with the race already in progress, Jackie Stewart having already retired and Jacky Ickx having built an unassailable lead. I also wandered away from the TV set before the end. It was a big ask to get a 10 to give up two hours in front of a black and white TV on an afternoon when kids were playing outside. In retrospect, in those days I got more excitement from reading race reports in magazines after the fact than watching the events live on TV. The power of what the written word brings to the imagination, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
                    The Wikipedia entry for TVS is pretty good, aside from not mentioning their auto racing coverage.

Eddie Einhorn went on to own part of the Chicago White Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
                      TeleVision Sports Inc. was founded by Eddie Einhorn in the early 1960s, centered around college basketball telecasts. He had put together a radio network for the NCAA tournament in the late 1950s and saw this as a gold mine, as there was little competition except in the Big Ten (SNI, Sports Network Inc.) and ACC (C.D. Chesley Productions). He was right.

TVS went on the map with the 1968 UCLA-Houston game at the Astrodome, which many network affiliates carried in place of Saturday night prime-time programs. It also introduced Dick Enberg, the voice of UCLA basketball, to a national audience.

TVS would grow to have multiple college conference telecasts each Saturday, seen in their area of interest, and eventually add a national-interest early game on Saturday (1 p.m. Eastern) followed by the regional game at 3 p.m. Eastern. Notre Dame would often be on the early telecast. So many NBC stations picked these up that NBC, which had the NCAA tournament rights and did some national games on Sunday after it dropped the NHL in 1975, partnered with TVS to carry the packages on the network. TVS also carried an occasional bowl game and the 1974 WFL season.

I remember in Chicago, the TVS auto races were on the NBC station on a one-week delay. Neither of the other major syndicators did racing. SNI concentrated on golf in the summer, and also fed local telecasts from out-of-town parks and arenas to local stations, Chesley's non-basketball feature was tape-delayed Notre Dame football.

Comment

Here's a few behind-the-scenes views of the TVS crew from the Milwaukee Mile.
                        Attached Files
                        If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

Originally posted by Martyj View Post
                          I actually remember watching this broadcast (I lived in Indianapolis at the time. I was unaware if it was shown elsewhere.) There was a big multi-car pile up and it had to be stopped. I don't think I stuck around to see who won, though.
                          Art Pollard had something break on his car to trigger the multi-car pile up on lap 2. He took over teammate Greg Weld's car for the restart, and won the race!

Comment

I hope Roger Penske gets a division in place for the express purpose of recovering as many old broadcasts as possible to make available for viewing. 1969/70/71 are especially interesting time periods for IndyCar since it was when wings and things are coming into play, but USAC still had the requirement that aero being be integrated into the bodywork. I oftentimes wonder how the cars would have developed had the loophole McLaren found been closed instead of it leading to abandoning the integration requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaFox View Post
                              I hope Roger Penske gets a division in place for the express purpose of recovering as many old broadcasts as possible to make available for viewing. 1969/70/71 are especially interesting time periods for IndyCar since it was when wings and things are coming into play, but USAC still had the requirement that aero being be integrated into the bodywork. I oftentimes wonder how the cars would have developed had the loophole McLaren found been closed instead of it leading to abandoning the integration requirement.
                              I've always thought there was money to be made doing season retrospectives. You show races - have a guest from the race, him and a few other guys talk about what's going on during the race/behind the scenes. It'd have to probably start with the '80s as your guys from the '70s have started dying off. Would make more sense for the DVD era instead of now unless Peacock feels like funding it.

I also think one issue with older races that are not the Indy 500 is the ownership rights must be a complete mess.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X