The Jim Robbins Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jim Robbins Eagle

Jim Robbins was killed in a plane crash in 1966. His son, also named Jim, took over the race team. The team purchased a 1970 Eagle for Sam Sessions to drive at Indy. Jim Robbins would continue to enter the Eagle through at least 1975 and the story I've heard is that he was obliged to do so because of his father's will. Anyone know anything more about this? I believe he also entered the car in 1976 as a protest against the rising costs associated with racing.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

The car sat in a gasoline alley garage for many years, no attempt to run it. (part of the will requirement.)
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
      Jim Robbins was killed in a plane crash in 1966. His son, also named Jim, took over the race team. The team purchased a 1970 Eagle for Sam Sessions to drive at Indy. Jim Robbins would continue to enter the Eagle through at least 1975 and the story I've heard is that he was obliged to do so because of his father's will. Anyone know anything more about this? I believe he also entered the car in 1976 as a protest against the rising costs associated with racing.
      Per Sonny Kleinfeld's "A Month At The Brickyard", this is correct. He documents the events from 1976, mostly that of the Vatis team. Jim Robbins payed his entry fee each year and the car sat in the garage but would not run in protest of rising costs. Robbins said he could afford to enter the car, but not run it.

This goes to show that complaints about costs are as old as the sport.
      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

And that misty-eyed recollections of the number of cars entered are not all they're cracked up to be.
        "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
          And that misty-eyed recollections of the number of cars entered are not all they're cracked up to be.
          If you go through the daily reports on Johnson’s Indy 500 site you can see that many entries never showed up, many more didn’t attempt a Q run.
          There were backup cars, cars that never stood a chance, and (can you say Garage Space) some that never left the garage.
          Numbers don’t tell the whole story.
          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X