Photo ID help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo ID help?

I received a surprise package in the mail today consisting of a bunch of original Kodachrome slides taken between 1957 and 1961 or thereabouts. Most were easily identifiable in terms of most of the six W's, but I need help on the following. Can anyone help fill in the blanks? Most are open wheel, but let's start with two sports car shots.

The identity of the two boys depicted are not in question (though sometimes it's hard to tell which is which). There are no bonus points for identifying them...only for providing additional period photos of them.

The unidentified people in these shots, to the best of my knowledge, are not related to the boys.

These scans were made with my lousy transparency adapter at home - the vertical striations are fortunately not on the originals - so image quality and detail are sorely lacking in the darker shots, but hopefully enough clues are visible.

I THINK these were taken at Pikes Peak. I am not sure if the upper photo is also a Billy Krause car or not. According to Stanley DeGeer's "The Pikes Peak Race," Billy raced a Jag-Corvette in '60 and a D-Type Jag in '61 - no car numbers are given. Which one does the bottom shot correspond with? Is the upper shot the opposite year or someone else entirely?

Here are the two boys posing with an unidentified USAC open wheel driver. He kind of looks like Roger McCluskey (trust me, it's more obvious in the actual slide)...but if this is still Pikes Peak, that would not be correct as Roger never ran open wheel there. Is the Dowgard decal a clue?

Comment

Here are three presumably sequential shots of one of the boys at an unknown USAC event, the first two in a John Zink entry. The scanner didn't pick up the bottom of the third slide, but it says "Fed" - so I believe this is a Federal Engineering car (if so then there is a family connection with an earlier, meaning pre-USAC, team driver). Can anyone tell where and when these were taken, and whose specific cars are these if Zink and/or Snowberger had multiple entries? The slides are stamped August 1958. Is the #88 in the background a Drewry's car?

Comment

Finally, what may be the rarest shot of all...a slide stamped January 1959 of Jimmy Bryan's Belond AP Epperly laydown Offy. Why so rare? Because if I am correct, this is the first known surviving photo documentation of this car being the featured vehicle at the 2nd annual Hawaii Autorama show at the Civic Auditorium in Honolulu the month before. Does that look like George Salih in the middle and Louie Meyer at the right? They were two of the three special guests invited over for the event. Unfortunately the third special guest - the boys' father - is not depicted here. No, it's not Bryan or Sam Hanks. In all likelihood he was the one taking this photo.

Tech question for ecat or others with photo restoration knowledge - a lot of these have fingerprints all over them - some are major to the point where they may affect image quality when making prints. Any recommendations on how to get rid of them on the originals (needless to say, I'm not talking about Photoshop)?

Comment

The guy in the middle (three guys facing the camera) is definitely George Salih. I can't help with the other guys. That's a great picture, for sure!!
          RacerRich

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Boteler
            The guy in the middle (three guys facing the camera) is definitely George Salih. I can't help with the other guys. That's a great picture, for sure!!
            I have no reason to believe the guy on the left, along with the one with his back to the camera, are anything but anonymous spectators.

Further research seems to indicate the Krause photo with the white car is from 1961 specifically.

Comment

One thing's for sure: the D-Type was crashed or modified and the front end body work was not done very well. The air intake was enlarged and the intake and fenders are no longer symetrical...

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48
                One thing's for sure: the D-Type was crashed or modified and the front end body work was not done very well. The air intake was enlarged and the intake and fenders are no longer symetrical...
                Probably an optical illusion...but the opening was larger for the high altitude I'm guessing.

Comment

Anybody else remember Billy Krause in the Mickey Thompson roller skate?

So cool! A little stock block Chevy that only Mickey could create...but that's another thread.

Comment

Michael T. Lynch confirms the top two shots are of the same Krause Jag - the purple car in '60 and the all-white version in '61.

Comment

Whatever happened to the Belond's rollover hoop? It had one at Indy in 1958.
                      Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Comment

I have a picture in my computer of the Belond Roadster. Jigger is sitting in it in street clothes and bare head. The car does have a roll bar but it is obvious that Jigger's head is higher than the roll bar. I tried to Copy & Paste the picture on here. Since this doesn't work, I have no idea how to put a picture on here.
                        RacerRich

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

I tried to Copy & Paste the picture on here. Since this doesn't work, I have no idea how to put a picture on here.
                          You cannot host photos on most web-based forums by simply cutting and pasting. Upload it to www.imageshack.us like I did for my shots above.

Comment

Thanks to you and aXe I have tried the site you both mention here. After following the steps it comes up that my eml file photos can't be used or something like that. So I am at a deadend with this. Thanks to both of you for trying to help.
                            RacerRich

Comment

Thanks to you and aXe I have tried the site you both mention here. After following the steps it comes up that my eml file photos can't be used or something like that. So I am at a deadend with this. Thanks to both of you for trying to help.
                              Rich did you get My latest e-mail of how to change your pics to jpeg?
                              aXe
                              Born Again Race Fan seen at
                              www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X