Where are all the 1st gen IRL cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Packrat View Post
    Actually the original motors are not that hard to get and are usually much more reasonably priced than practically anything else.
    Thanks. That flat-crank Chevy would sound great going up through the gears at any RC.
    I live my life 4.048 miles at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post
      Didn't those cars have a dreadful reputation because of being so tail heavy (due to a cheap but oversized heavy gearbox) that they were unstable and swap ends instantly once you lost control?

If so, that's one good reason to think twice about running one nowadays.
      The people buying these old IRL cars aren't going to race them on some oval. They will be driven around mostly likely far from their potential around road courses or some track day. If you've watched some youtube videos of guys buying used CART race cars you will see how complex the engineering went into those cars that any weekend warrior would be way over their head trying to service it. Something like an old IRL car with their simplified platform would be much easier for them to run. As awesome as those old CART cars were from the 90's they almost never come with an engine unless its a Ford Cosworth (most of the Hondas and Toyotas went back to Japan after the lease was over), and something like that was way over the head for somebody to operate out of their garage.

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post

The people buying these old IRL cars aren't going to race them on some oval. They will be driven around mostly likely far from their potential around road courses or some track day.
        Quite accurate. When my team owner dabbled in Pro Mazda, he entered a Road America test day. For the first session, a 1st-gen IRL G-Force was the only other car out there with him and his far-from-sorted new PM. Watching from pit lane, I noted a series of laps where the G-Force came by, with the boss only several seconds behind consistently. "Hmm, he's hanging with an Indycar, can't be far off." When he came in, he angrily said he was being severely held up. "He walked me on every straight but PARKED it in the turns! I almost ass-ended the ##### into the Carousel!" Vintage racing life....

Comment

I have seen quite a few of the first generation here in Euorpe over the years. The second generation engine was used in the DTM.

Dallara IR-03/05 IndyCar at Monza Circuit: Chevrolet Flat-Plane Crank V8 Engine Sound! - YouTube

Comment

I remember there being a 1st gen G-force at the airport once as a welcome to indy prop.
            Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Many of the show cars were made from cars that were damaged beyond economical repair. Bondo and fiberglass replaced carbon and honeycomb. They look good but basically should never be run on a track again.

Comment

Anyone know the story behind all the cars painted up to represent every NFL team for the Indy Super Bowl? It looked to be a hodgepodge of IRL-era cars. Did the Speedway borrow or lease them from owners, or are they all in a warehouse somewhere to this day?

They did a similar promotion for the Final Four.

Comment

Most were leased and returned to the owners.

Comment

20211223_161056.jpg

This Is a second generation G-Force, but at least it is getting restored.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X