Williams Grove Speedway 1956

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Williams Grove Speedway 1956

I'm in the process of compiling an overview of USAC's Sprint car division race results, and it looks like I have at least the top ten, probably even top twelve finishers of every (fingers crossed!) main event from 1957 onwards (drivers, that is - car assignments are still a bit difficult for many races). However, with USAC sanctions starting in 1956, I would really like to include that year as well before I work backwards into the AAA era, but this proves to be a stumbling block at the moment, with the four events at Williams Grove the "main offender": so far, I have only managed to find the top five main event finishers for those, and minimal info about heat results. Does somebody, per chance, have additional info, perhaps even period sources to back that up?

The dates for the four races are: April 22 (main event postponed to June 17), June 17, August 12 and October 21. Many thanks in advance for any help!

I tried, but, either we use the same sites, or, that's all the records that were kept 'cause I can only find the same.

(I'll give myself an "E" for effort, but no ceegaaarrr..... )
    "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

I don't have anything on Williams Grove, but if it helps here is a couple of race result articles from Dayton and Winchester. I also have quite a few photos that may help with driver identification from multiple tracks. 13914049_1154809981257050_872317652295620138_o.jpg 72732168_3063346920349252_6452580585712910336_o.jpg

Comment

That's great, simply fabulous! Not what I was after, but very helpful all the same! Many thanks! πŸ€—

Comment

Feel free to ask if you have any other requests. I literally have thousands of saved USAC images and race results from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's that can solve some of the puzzles.

Comment

April 22 was a rain out. Run as a second feature on 6 17

feature #1 Pay Flaherty , Al Keller, Al Herman, Jounny Thomson

Feature 2Johnny Thomson, Dick Rathmann Tommy Hinnershitz, Gene Hartley, Charlie Musselman.
            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
            body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
            "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
            >

Comment

Oct 21
              Van Johnson
              Bill andall
              Johnny Thomson
              Tommy Hinershitz
              Chuck Weyat

50 Laps
              "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
              body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
              "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
              >

Comment

Originally posted by TommyTipover View Post
                Feel free to ask if you have any other requests. I literally have thousands of saved USAC images and race results from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's that can solve some of the puzzles.
                That's very kind of you. I may well take you up on the offer, as I'm working my way up through the years, filling in missing data from the point standings. So far, that has worked very well for the years 1957 to '60, but I can't be sure whether it's going to work for all other years as well. It's a bit slow going at the moment, so I am going to use this thread for future inquiries.

Comment

Originally posted by Niseguy View Post
                  Oct 21
                  Van Johnson
                  Bill andall
                  Johnny Thomson
                  Tommy Hinershitz
                  Chuck Weyat

50 Laps
                  Johnny Thomson and Bill Randall, two of my father's and New England favorites.
                  I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

Sure enough, I run into trouble sooner than later! #TommyTipover, do you have anything on 1961? I have the top twelve for every race from various sources, but there must be multiple mistakes in the data because I can't make the points table fit. πŸ™

Comment

Yeah, I have a few

​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​

Comment

May 28, 1961 Clermont, IN (0.625d) 1 A.J Foyt 1 $819, 2 Chuck Hulse (Morales 25), 3 Bob Cleberg (Hurtubise 56), 4 Mickey Shaw (Altfater 66), 5 Elmer George (Hulman 21), 6 Jerry Blundy 33, 7 Joe Barzda 33, 8 Bob Wente (Hoover 2), 9 Allen Crowe (Hyneman 41), 10 Hal Rettberg (Doud/Eckert 45), 11 Ronnie Duman (Beck 11), 12 Red Renner (Knepper 35), 13 Rex Easton (Gehlhausen 5), 14 Duke Hindahl (Aries 20) DNF Billy Earl 98, A.J Shepherd (Barnett 55), Johnny White (Beck 7), Bud Sterrett (Flynn 10) DNS Billy Wood (Flynn 88)

May 28, 1961 DNQ Leon Clum (Gutzwiller 19), Cotton Farmer (Pfrommer 1), Jim Hemmings (Hoffman 7), Bruce Jacobi (Watterson 16), Roger McCluskey 4 (27.57), Al Miller (Meskowski 44), Keith Rachwitz (Stapp 6), Jack Rounds (Homeyer 9) USAC 305nw

July 2, 1961 Indianapolis, IN (IRP) 1 Parnelli Jones (Fike 1) $876, 2 A.J Foyt 1 (24.44), 3 Jim Hurtubise (Barnett 56), 4 Len Sutton (Watson 3), 5 Al Keller (Homeyer 9), 6 Rex Easton (Meskowski 44), 7 Elmer George 12, 8 Bud Tingelstad (Flynn 10), 9 Jim Hemmings (Hoffman 7), 10 Bob Mathouser (Lukemeier 37), 11 Bobby Boughan (Hood 32), 12 Al Miller (Gehlhausen 5), 13 Dick Pratt (Woodbury 20), 14 Dick Freeman (Beck 7), 15 Allen Crowe (Iddings 93), 16 Calvin Gilstrap. DNF Don Branson 2, Chuck Hulse (Null 12) DNS Roger McCluskey (Hulman 4) USAC

July 2, 1961 Indianapolis, IN (DNQ) Curly Boyd (Schmidt 44), Leroy Neumeyer (Pfrommer 1), Roy Robbins 21, Bill Cheesbourg 88, Clare Lawicki (Stevens 37), Tommy Copp (McCurdy 53), Leon Clum (Gutzwiller 19), Hugh Randall (Fetter 80), Red Renner (Knepper 35), Bob King 50, Martin Cosat (Coke 77) USAC 305nw

That is all.

Comment

Thanks for the IRP results, but I can't see the attachments in your prior post! πŸ˜• Can everybody else see them?

Comment

I cannot see them, either.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X