Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

I hope J&J watches that.

I recognize some but not many of those cars.
    Just got back to the thread.
    The ones I recognize:
    Hendrick in the 11 Camaro, Bodine in the 99 Valiant.
    Jim Shampine in the 8 Ball Coupe.
    Roger Triechler in the 74 Coach.
    Hendrick again in the 11 Camaro & Chevelle.
    Maynard Troyer in the 6 Falcon & Pintos.
    Richie Evans in the 61 Coupe.
    I’m having a brain fart on the X-15, I know it but can’t pull it up and I’m going by memory and not looking anything up.
    10 Pins is Nolan Swift.

“With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by 1987Carzan View Post
      Great pics. I showed them to my dad, and he said "Yeah, Highland still looks like that."
      Any racetrack with covered stands is OK in my book.

I like the shot of the flagman on the track.

Uh, no thanks to that.

It is sad seeing the crowd behind him.

Some tracks don't get that many people in a month these days.
      Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Any racetrack with covered stands is OK in my book.

I like the shot of the flagman on the track.

Uh, no thanks to that.
        This picture is a multi topical response

Lakeside Speedway, Denver, CO circa 1984-85ish. It's clearly qualifying, so I'll excuse him having his back to turn four. I believe it's Jack Backman in the 33.
        0001.jpg
        Please excuse the guardrail and fencing, it was from a bygone era. We all should have known better. Of course I was only about 4, so I really didn't know better.
        "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Highland did have a flagstand by the early 80's, but the scoring trailer was/is still there. The backstretch was all woods beyond the wall, but there was a little clearing where fans would gather and watch the races for free. I always wanted to check out that area, but I think it was "locals only", at least back then.

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post

Lakeside Speedway, Denver, CO circa 1984-85ish. It's clearly qualifying, so I'll excuse him having his back to turn four. I believe it's Jack Backman in the 33.
            0001.jpg
            Please excuse the guardrail and fencing, it was from a bygone era. We all should have known better. Of course I was only about 4, so I really didn't know better.
            Looking back, none of the short tracks I went to as a kid had Armco railing, they were either wood or concrete. At the time I wondered why the Springfield/DuQuoin tracks still used it, because it seems like every ARCA race someone would smash part of it down and add an extra hour or so to the experience(back then I didn't mind).

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post

0001.jpg
              It's still there, just let to rot. Probably couldn't get a permit to do races any more either given how built up the area is around the park.

As for the barrier discussion, just go find some highlights from the ASCS stop at Wakeeney Speedway this year. Travel is the time machine, and at that track, it's like 1940 all over again. The one highlight reel on YouTube subtracted the stoppage when someone went through the front stretch "wall" and they basically just put some tape up where the hole was.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualBalboa View Post

It's still there, just let to rot. Probably couldn't get a permit to do races any more either given how built up the area is around the park.
                It's four miles from my house. I've been watching it rot since the last race in '88. Should have been knocked down 30 years ago. The area was fully built up around the park and track by the 50's, so the track operated in the middle of a mostly residential neighborhood for most of it's existence. There was noise complaints, and a strict decibel limit checked via dB meter during qualifying to isolate each car. Too loud and you got parked for the night.

"He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Let me get this straight, people build houses near a race track... and it's the race track that is supposed accommodate them?
                  I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Spencer View Post
                    Let me get this straight, people build houses near a race track... and it's the race track that is supposed accommodate them?
                    All too often the answer is “Yes”.
                    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Spencer View Post
                      There's also an amusement park attached. That's still going. So you moved next to an amusement park with a race track, and then you determined this was unpleasant.

Comment

I'm not sure that people were as big of noise complainers in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Maybe more so in the 80's, I can't say. I just know we had to check the dBs every night.

I sure would have liked to have heard the high strung Ford sixes sing before they opened the modified class up to allow small blocks. I've seen pictures of a Ford with six trumpet pipes and a scratch built intake to mount three carbs. I can't imagine the sound that made.

Comment

Gotta Love the Spare Tire Carrier:

Stock Cars of the Sixties Mike Zajac - YouTube

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X