Found my dad's slides from 1972

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found my dad's slides from 1972

I always knew that I went as a toddler with my family to a day of Time Trials for the 1972, and that my father and grandfather went to the race, but until yesterday I had never seen pictures. Almost 50 years (and several moves) later we finally found his long-lost box of slides, including the pictures he took from inside Turn 4 on Saturday the 27th, including the clean up from Mike Mosley's crash.

PICT0029.JPG
    Dust notwithstanding, the slides have held up pretty well considering how they were stored in my parents' attic for 38 of those 49 years. I have some cleaning to do. I have hundreds (thousands?) of slides to go through and scan, but these made it to the top of my list.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

That's Lee Kunzman going by down low next to the inner wall. That was a Gerhardt chassis with a turbo Offy engine. And notice the ambulance which at that time wouldn't have had much in the way of actual medical equipment. But that was true everywhere back then. If you were in any kind of accident whether it was in a passenger car on the street or a race car real treatment (by today's standards) was minimal until you arrived at a hospital. Ambulances in those days were provided by local funeral homes where they were also used in funeral processions.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
      That's Lee Kunzman going by down low next to the inner wall. That was a Gerhardt chassis with a turbo Offy engine. And notice the ambulance which at that time wouldn't have had much in the way of actual medical equipment. But that was true everywhere back then. If you were in any kind of accident whether it was in a passenger car on the street or a race car real treatment (by today's standards) was minimal until you arrived at a hospital. Ambulances in those days were provided by local funeral homes where they were also used in funeral processions.
      That was the first thing my nephew noticed when we looked at the slide. And when I found the video of the crash while trying to confirm it was Mosley, he was horrified by the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post

That was the first thing my nephew noticed when we looked at the slide. And when I found the video of the crash while trying to confirm it was Mosley, he was horrified by the whole thing.
        Have your nephew watch some of the old "Emergency" shows on YouTube. The show came on the air in 1972 and it was considered to reflect cutting edge emergency medical technology at the time with the main characters driving around in a modified heavy duty pickup truck. Even then they had to call in an ambulance to do the actual transport of any injured person. I think Los Angeles had some of the very first EMTs back then and the show reflected that. It took quite a few more years for the rest of the country to catch up.

On the racing side in the 1970s (and maybe even into the 1980s) IMS used to have a single ambulance parked in the pits during tire tests and caution lights weren't even used. There were other tracks that allowed teams to rent track time without any requirements for ambulances or on site medical help at all. In fairness to IMS only one car was allowed on the track at a time so you could tell what was going on. It's only been about the last twenty years that multiple cars have been running at the same time during testing outside of May.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post

Have your nephew watch some of the old "Emergency" shows on YouTube. The show came on the air in 1972 and it was considered to reflect cutting edge emergency medical technology at the time with the main characters driving around in a modified heavy duty pickup truck. Even then they had to call in an ambulance to do the actual transport of any injured person. I think Los Angeles had some of the very first EMTs back then and the show reflected that. It took quite a few more years for the rest of the country to catch up.

On the racing side in the 1970s (and maybe even into the 1980s) IMS used to have a single ambulance parked in the pits during tire tests and caution lights weren't even used. There were other tracks that allowed teams to rent track time without any requirements for ambulances or on site medical help at all. In fairness to IMS only one car was allowed on the track at a time so you could tell what was going on. It's only been about the last twenty years that multiple cars have been running at the same time during testing outside of May.
          We've watched Emergency. Even in early episodes the ambulances were ambulances and not hearses.

Comment

1972 Dodge D300 which has been restored to original condition. It was used in actual service one time after the show was over,and nearly burned up itself years later.

Comment

Looks like a black modified Pontiac grand safari wagon.
              No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
                I always knew that I went as a toddler with my family to a day of Time Trials for the 1972, and that my father and grandfather went to the race, but until yesterday I had never seen pictures. Almost 50 years (and several moves) later we finally found his long-lost box of slides, including the pictures he took from inside Turn 4 on Saturday the 27th, including the clean up from Mike Mosley's crash.

PICT0029.JPG
                Dust notwithstanding, the slides have held up pretty well considering how they were stored in my parents' attic for 38 of those 49 years. I have some cleaning to do. I have hundreds (thousands?) of slides to go through and scan, but these made it to the top of my list.
                Great shot.. Wish I was around in those days
                "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

I watched the Mosley crash/clean up from the NW Vista. Being my favorite driver at the time
                  I was not a happy camper.
                  ...---...

Comment

I’m somewhere in that picture... Mike’s car came to a stop just to our right...Two years in a row he crashed in four... Plus I believe he crashed there in practice in ‘71 but my old mind can’t confirm...

Comment

thanks for sharing

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X