No announcement yet.

IMS Wildlife - your experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a platypus count? It's how Smokey Yunick described the '69 Eagle because according to him "it was a nose-flying son-of-a-*****".

Comment

We’re inclusive of all animals in this list!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987Carzan View Post

I don't know if it's still up, but there was a great youtube clip of the dog running down pit lane set to Yakety Sax. Supposedly Tom Carnegie did his new track record call after it was all over.

They finally caught that dog in the southchute. It must have run close to a mile.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Wasn't it speculated that Art Pollard hit a bird just before his crash in '73? I think
          I read someone may have hit one leading to a crash.
          ...---...

Comment

I once saw a dog at a press conference with a red bullseye on it's left eye.

RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

They finally caught that dog in the southchute. It must have run close to a mile.
              One of my first memories at IMS.. 1998 was my first 500 I attended
              "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

When I was still working full time, I worked close by and I would eat my lunch in the South Vista stands. It didn't matter if anyone was on the Track. One day the maintenance crew was cutting the grass near me and all of a sudden I heard a scream, and one of the men held up a snake on the end of a rake. I thought to myself, so that's where the snake pit went.
                I spent four years, 1959-62, in the real snake pit and I did see a lot of animalistic activity in those years. I got more education that you could imagine.☺
                Have a very blessed day!

Comment

I believe there was a kingfisher sighting once

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

1998 is correct. And it wasn't just down pit lane, that dog made it all the way to the southchute before finally being corralled.

Strangely, I don't recall a lot of animal encounters at the Speedway, other than the sort-of famous rabbits.

(Al Unser Sr. ran over a rabbit in the 1988 race).
                    Seen plenty of it in Turn one from the 70's to mid 80's.

And in 1998 the dog was still going strong in turn 2
                    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X