IMS Wildlife - your experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMS Wildlife - your experiences?

After dozens of trips to the track, and several weeks’ worth of camping on IMS grounds over the years, I thought back to some of the interesting wildlife encounters I’ve had on the property. Here’s a short list:
    • garter snake visited us in Lot 3P (paved) race morning a couple years ago
    • muskrat wandered through Lot 3G (grass)
    • loose dog in pit lane race morning 1998-ish
    • robin tending her nest and hatchlings on race day in Stand B
    What memories and experiences have you had with wildlife while visiting IMS? Snake Pit creatures don’t officially count but might be interesting to read about.

Mongooses, coyotes, hawks and eagles on the track don't count?

Comment

Is mongooses, mongoose, or mongeese?

I remember the dog. It made a bee-line for the creek that used to be in Turn 1, IIRC.

Alonso's exploding birds come to mind.
      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Full View Post
        [*]loose dog in pit lane race morning 1998-ish
        1998 is correct. And it wasn't just down pit lane, that dog made it all the way to the southchute before finally being corralled.

Strangely, I don't recall a lot of animal encounters at the Speedway, other than the sort-of famous rabbits.

(Al Unser Sr. ran over a rabbit in the 1988 race).
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Coyotes have been spotted in the vicinity of the creek and field along 26th Street adjacent to the Coke lot (where y'all camp ). Same creek that runs right behind my house, across Auburn, through turn one and across 16th. I walked out one winter morning to work and when the back porch light turned on one jumped my back chain link fence like it wasn't even there. I think it was hunting rabbits or chipmunks under my shed.
          www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Snapping turtles in the creek under the Paddock stands.
            Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

I've seen some interesting birds in the stands...
              Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

My grandsons were fascinated by the bullfrogs in the pond by Turn 8.
                "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

I saw a red-tailed hawk in the tree north of 7th Street, infield road course Turn 5/6.
                  There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sybil D. Sobydianz View Post
                    I saw a red-tailed hawk in the tree north of 7th Street, infield road course Turn 5/6.
                    At the May GP? Saw one flying around that day over the NW Vista.

Comment

It's been a few years.
                      There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

I've seen a bald eagle as close as the Waterfront complex, just west of I-465 on Crawfordsville Road.
                        "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                        ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

1998 is correct. And it wasn't just down pit lane, that dog made it all the way to the southchute before finally being corralled.
                          I don't know if it's still up, but there was a great youtube clip of the dog running down pit lane set to Yakety Sax. Supposedly Tom Carnegie did his new track record call after it was all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ferner View Post
                            Mongooses, coyotes, hawks and eagles on the track don't count?
                            No. Neither does a Mallard, whether on the track or in pit lane.

Comment

Don't forget a Wasp.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X