RIP Eddie Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Eddie Miller

Eddie Miller, who appeared at Indy only once in 1976 and crashed spectacularly, died earlier this spring https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_...r%2C_born_1945)

The footage of his crash is in the first little bit of the film below. While the footage shows him smiling and talking to Tom Binford, he actually suffered broken vertebrae in his neck which forced an early end to his racing career.

While its easy to say a rookie got in over their head, got spooked and retired, it's a little more complicated than that.

Off the track, he was a builder and property developer.

When did he pass away? I spoke to him on the phone not that long ago and then he sent a letter to a friend of mine a few months ago in April.

Comment

His Wikipedia entry says he died April 24, 2021.

Comment

His Champ Car Stats page say that he is still living?

Same with Racing-Reference...BTW they may not have had all the news left, especially that he was kind of reclusive for quite a bit?

I other news, just interested in this he may have driven as a Teammate for Gary Bettenhausen, at least shared a Sponsor...Thermo King, with Don Gerhardt owning the car. Unfortunately all three are deceased, I guess. Any old-timers know anything more of this, don't really know of Sponsors sponsoring car for two different team except for when Marlboro drifting away from Patrick and shared sponsorship with Penske for I think 1 Year, possibly 2.

Comment

He was randomly brought up here (by me) just a few months before he apparently passed: https://www.trackforum.org/forum/mot...-miller-update
          "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...?pid=198518987
            Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
              His Champ Car Stats page say that he is still living?

Same with Racing-Reference...BTW they may not have had all the news left, especially that he was kind of reclusive for quite a bit?
              Since prominent racers are the only ones whose obituaries make the news, these sites require folks sending the info to them. Since NASCAR bought Racing Reference, they don't seem to be updating any of the passings ...quite unlike Champcarstats.com, where Jason does a good job updating and adding what he finds.

Most of the info at those sites - birth date, date of death, hometown - were provided by people researching, finding the information and sending them in.
              "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                Since prominent racers are the only ones whose obituaries make the news, these sites require folks sending the info to them. Since NASCAR bought Racing Reference, they don't seem to be updating any of the passings ...quite unlike Champcarstats.com, where Jason does a good job updating and adding what he finds.

Most of the info at those sites - birth date, date of death, hometown - were provided by people researching, finding the information and sending them in.
                I understand Champcarstats.com does do quite a decent job, and of course a death date on everyone is impossible, and left blink unless they have something on these guys, I see guys driving in 1921 with no hometown and no death information.

And as I said Eddie kind of lived an anonymous live from the 80's or so, Ed, Edward, Eddie Miller is sorta common I am sure not many people knew who he was except for maybe racing locally.

Comment

Originally posted by JSJLW View Post

I understand Champcarstats.com does do quite a decent job, and of course a death date on everyone is impossible, and left blink unless they have something on these guys, I see guys driving in 1921 with no hometown and no death information.

And as I said Eddie kind of lived an anonymous live from the 80's or so, Ed, Edward, Eddie Miller is sorta common I am sure not many people knew who he was except for maybe racing locally.
                  Absolutely, spot on. Despite how much several people have worked on them, some are still unknown. Common names like Miller, Williams, Johnson, Anderson, etc. are nightmares for researchers. It's fortunate that Eddie Miller's obituary mentioned his racing. Often these drivers only competed for a short time, then went on to other lives and racing didn't even figure in their obituaries.

Once when I spoke with Donald Davidson, we got into a discussion about this, and he mentioned how difficult it was to find that info for some of these racers.
                  Last edited by JThur1; 08-06-2021, 08:23 PM.
                  "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Without going into too much personal info...I know that I share MY name with a few Semi-Famous People known in a certain profession...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X