Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Indy Cars at Monterey Historics

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vintage Indy Cars at Monterey Historics

    Nice group of 1963-78 Indy cars at this year's Monterey Historics. Plenty of other cool stuff as well though sadly the explosion in values has taken a lot of great cars off the grid. I remember fields full of Ferrari GTOS & Testarossas -- not any more.

    https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/s...28872929600000



  • #2
    Anyone know if there anything like that happening in the midwest?
    “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

    Comment


    • #3
      I went to the Brian Redman vintage event at Road America a couple weeks ago. It’s pretty darn nice and plenty of cars can knock your socks off but I’d bet Monterey is multiple times more impressive, larger and more consistent.
      But, you still should go to the mid-summer RA-Elkhart Lake event if you are in the Midwest.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by goner View Post
        I went to the Brian Redman vintage event at Road America a couple weeks ago. It’s pretty darn nice and plenty of cars can knock your socks off but I’d bet Monterey is multiple times more impressive, larger and more consistent.
        But, you still should go to the mid-summer RA-Elkhart Lake event if you are in the Midwest.
        Agreed. The vintage event at RA should not be missed. The only downer for me is I wish they would have more vintage Indy Cars.
        Real drivers don't need fenders!

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep, some years they’re up, some years they’re down. Looks like a few that have been at RA are at Monterey this year.
          That’s why a person needs to go every year, the roster changes. You can tell your partner this statement is endorsed by mrs goner if you get any push back.

          Comment


          • #6
            So looking at RA schedule it looks like 9/17 weekend, it's the Art on Wheels Vintage Weekend.
            “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

            Comment


            • #7
              RA does 3 vintage events. The spring and fall events are OK.
              The best show, by far, is the Brian Redman in July.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by goner View Post
                RA does 3 vintage events. The spring and fall events are OK.
                The best show, by far, is the Brian Redman in July.
                OK thanks. Summer goes by so fast, and our summer vacation in July always seems to get in the way of other things, like the Brian Redman thing.
                “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by goner View Post
                  Yep, some years they’re up, some years they’re down. Looks like a few that have been at RA are at Monterey this year.
                  That’s why a person needs to go every year, the roster changes. You can tell your partner this statement is endorsed by mrs goner if you get any push back.
                  Used to be that Monterey was capped at 400 cars, but I don't know what it is now. I was there in 2005 and 2007...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As I said, I've attended Monterey twice. I've also attended the vintage weekend at Loudon where they use the oval and the road course. I attended the full event in 2005 and there was a significant contingent of Indianapolis roadsters and vintage sprint cars and midgets that ran the oval. I've also attended MANY vintage events at Watkins Glen. I don't recall any Indy cars of any vintage there, but there have been a number of F1 cars (including one of Mario's title winning Lotuses), original Can-Am cars, single seater Can-Am cars, F5000 cars, endurance racers including 956's, 962's, Lola T-70 coupes (including 1 of 2 ever built with an Aston-Martin V-8), Aston-Martin AMR-1, Trans-Am cars, etc. It always struck me that while there was never any real Indy car presence at The Glen, what they had seemed to cover a greater range than Monterey. Personally I like big bore, high horsepower vintage cars. Lots of buzzy Sprites, MGs, Porsches and Oscas don't really do it for me from a spectating standpoint. On the other hand, walking through the paddock is a very different situation...

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X