1958 Agajanian Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Agajanian Special?

I saw this car at the Millers at the Mile event last weekend. It was built by Eddie Kuzma and Troy Ruttman attempted to qualify for the 1958 500, but fell short. I found a newspaper clip where Aggie blamed the car's cornering speeds. Anyone have additional info on this car? Is the version that is around today the original or a replica? The car itself looked huge - wider than other roadsters, but beautifully constructed.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

I believe the problem was the front end geometry. They tried again in 1959 and didnt make the race . Thats when Aggie bought the watson for 1960 race.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Comment

Wanted to see the car, so I googled it. Found this: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3892...ine-placement/
      "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

The car never qualified for the 500 when Agajanian owned it missing the show in both 1958 and 1959. Troy Ruttman always said it was a horrible car. In 1960 A.J. Watson got the car, I believe this was part of the deal where he built what became "Old Calhoun" for Agajanian. He rebuilt the car putting his own version of torsion bar suspension on the front of the car. Bill Homeier qualified the car and finished the entire 500 miles ending up in 13th place.

Yes, this is the real car. Although there often aren't very many original pieces left on many roadster restorations. I know of one beautiful Kurtis that was "restored" with just the cockpit frame section remaining to start with. Everything else was done using the correct period parts. That tends to be case on many old roadsters as they were often cut up to race as supermodifieds and the original parts discarded or sold.
        Last edited by indyrjc; 07-13-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X